1 2 3 4
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/14 3:28 p.m.

Video

"The 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT® Hellcat recently hit the quarter-mile and laid down world-class numbers, earning the distinction as the world’s fastest muscle car ever. The Challenger SRT Hellcat recorded a National Hot Rod Association-certified quarter-mile elapsed time of 11.2 seconds at 125 mph with stock Pirelli® P275/40ZR20 P Zero tires. With street legal drag radials, the run dropped to 10.8 seconds at 126 mph. The SRT Hellcat engine produces 707 horsepower and 650 lb.-ft. of torque, making it the most powerful production V8 ever."

And they got it in UNDER $60,000.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/14 3:30 p.m.

I went from secretly admiring Challengers, to trying to figure out how I can live in the backseat of one so I can sell everything I own to buy a Hellcat...

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
7/18/14 3:38 p.m.

How in the hell is chrysler gonna fund all the warranty transmission replacements from people trying to prove their hellcat is a 10 second car

etifosi
etifosi Reader
7/18/14 3:43 p.m.
ryanty22 wrote: How in the hell is chrysler gonna fund all the warranty transmission replacements from people trying to prove their hellcat is a 10 second car

It's actually a genius move - they will look in the black box, deny warranty claim for "abuse" and get full pop for the trans. Chrysler's underwear gnome may have discovered the secret to Step Two:?????

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/18/14 3:51 p.m.
Javelin wrote: I went from secretly admiring Challengers, to trying to figure out how I can live in the backseat of one so I can sell everything I own to buy a Hellcat...

Yep, same here.

I can see two types of used Hellcat's in 5 years. The ones that have been totally run to hell and back on the race track and ones that sat in the garage and didn't move. Mine would be the first type. And on its 10th set of rear tires.

Is it sad that I already have my liscense plate picked out?
I think I get 7 letters/no spaces in Michigan.

ALLHELL

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
7/18/14 3:52 p.m.

Unless they sell it with drag slicks its not stock. Still wicked fast, I got a call asking if I wanted one at 20K over sticker already for a place in line.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
7/18/14 3:59 p.m.

Wow So cheap!

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
7/18/14 4:17 p.m.

I am not a fan of Challengers whatsover....this thing though, I want badly!!!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
7/18/14 5:29 p.m.

Oh, hey, Richard Rawlings and his hair again. And him mentioning "let's go get a beer" again.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
7/18/14 5:39 p.m.

Wont that get you kicked off the track without a cage?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/18/14 5:44 p.m.

I bet 25% of them go spinning off the road backwards.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
7/18/14 5:51 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Wont that get you kicked off the track without a cage?

they had to make exceptions to some of their safety rules for factory built late model cars a few years ago when people started to be able to buy 11 second capable cars at the dealers.. now i think there are no safety things required for cars like this until you hit 9.99.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/18/14 6:37 p.m.

How many of these are going to disappear into garages for 25 years? It's the new age of muscle...

Lancer007
Lancer007 HalfDork
7/18/14 7:42 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I bet 25% of them go spinning off the road backwards.

Are we taking odds of when the first one gets totalled? I'm guessing less than 6 weeks after they begin delivering them.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
7/18/14 7:44 p.m.
Lancer007 wrote:
Are we taking odds of when the first one gets totalled? I'm guessing less than 6 weeks after they begin delivering them.

I am guessing the same day they start delivering them.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
7/18/14 7:46 p.m.

I love that photo of the car. It shows the excellent-looking front end without showing the hideous ass on the Challenger Unfortunately for it, the ass end is the only part that most other drivers will ever see

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
7/18/14 7:48 p.m.

I hate to be a crank about this, but, isn't this just for rich old dudes? I mean, the Dart is doing how well in the marketplace? Is the new 200 selling? The volume models under the Mopar brands, are they selling well?

I realize this is simply taking an existing car and wedging in more engine and it wasn't a huge engineering effort. But it seems like a weird place to put effort vs., say, making the Dart more attractive to shoppers. What's their plan for dealing with further tightening fuel economy requirements that are coming?

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
7/18/14 8:07 p.m.

You are all forgetting one important detail. Insurance for this car has got to be INSANE!!! I dare ya to call your agent for a quote.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
7/18/14 8:09 p.m.

It makes me shake my head in wonder. Can-Am horsepower with a warranty...

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
7/18/14 8:26 p.m.
pres589 wrote: I hate to be a crank about this, but, isn't this just for rich old dudes? I mean, the Dart is doing how well in the marketplace? Is the new 200 selling? The volume models under the Mopar brands, are they selling well? I realize this is simply taking an existing car and wedging in more engine and it wasn't a huge engineering effort. But it seems like a weird place to put effort vs., say, making the Dart more attractive to shoppers. What's their plan for dealing with further tightening fuel economy requirements that are coming?

it's got people talking about the Dodge brand... might even get a few lookie-loos into dealerships to see one in person, which maybe leads to them driving off the lot with a 6 year financing plan on a new Ram...

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/18/14 11:13 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non wrote: You are all forgetting one important detail. Insurance for this car has got to be INSANE!!! I dare ya to call your agent for a quote.

My insurance agent and I were discussing them while I was raiding his whiskey cabinet the other night. Its not pretty.

And honestly I am not real impressed with the hellcat. Sure its got a big motor and sure it went real fast, but its still obnoxiously overweight and designed for rappers with more money than brains, and old men. I can't wait to see one on 30" rims. The internet is going to explode.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/19/14 1:36 a.m.

By that rational they're just as good as a 911.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/19/14 6:14 a.m.
Appleseed wrote:
By that rational they're just as good as a 911.

Yeah, they probably are. Big HP with no way to get it all to the ground and making tire smoke gets boring after a few minutes.

The first time some bonehead turns off the TC and all 700hp gets to the rear wheels, it'll go spinning into a light pole. No big deal, it'll go off the road backwards and destroy the ugly parts. Then it can be an engine donor for something interesting. Maybe Keith can stuff it in a Miata.

I'm glad they make it, but I'm not in the market for one. Too big, too ugly and too common.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/19/14 6:22 a.m.

Pfft! This is the internet. If it isnt available as a wagon with a diesel for less than 20 grand I aint interested.

Seriously, this is the glory days of horsepower and when we are all using electric pods to get around nobody will look back on this and think its too fat.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
7/19/14 6:28 a.m.
logdog wrote: Pfft! This is the internet. If it isnt available as a wagon with a diesel for less than 20 grand I aint interested.

And even if it was there'd be people here complaining about it.
That being said, I'd love to see the Charger and Challenger drop 600 or more ell-bees.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZoQfAy4Vcas4guZDClfmERMt85kwBpR0XgvAgPUdTK41LRhv0RdcdJ9IxVBDT4p4