Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
7/20/14 7:51 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

It did.

06HHR
06HHR Reader
7/20/14 7:57 p.m.

The Fast N Loud guys did a match race between a 71 Challenger Hemi RT and the Hellcat at the Mopar Mile-High Nationals outside of Denver today, Richard Rawlings Turned an 11.5 second quarter IIRC, they even showed the track officials giving him his timeslip while he was just gushing over the thing. DCA got the marketing machine on full blast for this toy, and if Rawlings can get 11 second timeslips out if it, it's definitely the real deal from a musclecar point of view. They will sell every one they build, and some special edition will show up at Barret-Jackson in January and sell for ridiculous money, just the way it is. Just saw the previous posts re the 12.1, I stand corrected, but you all get the idea..

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Reader
7/20/14 9:10 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: In reply to BlueInGreen44: Maybe you accidentally slipped up and caught the gay???

That's probably it. Everything makes sense now...

Actually I guess I have no concept of that kind of power in a car. I'm sure if I got a ride in one and felt the acceleration I'd "get" it (after I got over being terrified.)

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
7/20/14 11:18 p.m.

Wow..

You mean a car built 43 years ago isn't as fast as a new car?

Who could've seen that coming.

Minivans are over 300hp nowadays.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
7/20/14 11:44 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Wow.. You mean a car built 43 years ago isn't as fast as a new car? Who could've seen that coming. Minivans are over 300hp nowadays.

people always forget that part.. and the part about even economy cars having over 200hp..

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
7/21/14 12:06 a.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

Yeah, thats why they haven't really gotten any more economical in the last 20 years.

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/21/14 11:01 p.m.

Now THAT is the Hemi I need to get AEV to stuff into my Rubicon

smog7
smog7 Dork
7/22/14 1:38 a.m.

Wait, I thought the dodge dart super stock held the record for quickest "stock" quarter mile?

unevolved
unevolved Dork
7/22/14 12:24 p.m.

Those were built by Hurst, though, right?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/22/14 1:03 p.m.

When you build just 50 Darts and 50 Barracudas, that's hardly a stock car.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
7/22/14 3:50 p.m.

I wouldn't buy one, but I still think it's cool. I considered getting a regular old R/T Challenger last year with the manual transmission. The car is just too wide though. I think living with it would be annoying, if anyone parked next to you while you were in the store you wouldn't be able to get back in the car.

06HHR
06HHR Reader
7/29/14 11:01 a.m.
06HHR wrote: The Fast N Loud guys did a match race between a 71 Challenger Hemi RT and the Hellcat at the Mopar Mile-High Nationals outside of Denver today, Richard Rawlings Turned an 11.5 second quarter IIRC, they even showed the track officials giving him his timeslip while he was just gushing over the thing. DCA got the marketing machine on full blast for this toy, and if Rawlings can get 11 second timeslips out if it, it's definitely the real deal from a musclecar point of view. They will sell every one they build, and some special edition will show up at Barret-Jackson in January and sell for ridiculous money, just the way it is. Just saw the previous posts re the 12.1, I stand corrected, but you all get the idea..

Told ya.. First Hellcat for sale at B-J Las Vegas

Just read the article, they quote a 10.2 quarter at 126 mph..

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
7/29/14 11:16 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: When you build just 50 Darts and 50 Barracudas, that's hardly a stock car.

Technically they are Super Stock cars.

They were not street cars. Building 50 of each made the combo class legal for home built ones.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/29/14 11:43 a.m.
they quote a 10.2 quarter at 126 mph..

Right, because 126mph cars ET 10.2 all the time.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
7/29/14 2:41 p.m.
Vigo wrote: I was fully prepared to be underwhelmed by the Hellcat's performance and price point...

They'll all go for many thousands over the $60,000 MSRP. It's just another car where the only response is, "that's nice, next?"

Pat
Pat HalfDork
7/30/14 11:39 a.m.

This is may sound snotty to some...not meant to be, but just a comment:

Sometimes I read this board and think there is no pleasing some of you guys...in this particular case, an American car company produces a factory, warrantied, daily driveable 700+ horsepower car that is available with a 3rd pedal for an MRSP of about $60k and will go 11.2 on factory tires and 10.8's with drag radials...that sounds like a ton of win that any enthusiast should support, even if you'd rather have a 100 hp Miata.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
7/30/14 11:50 a.m.

In reply to Pat:

Don't forget the threads about the BRZ twins. Everybody has reasons not to get one, even though everyone wanted one before hand. I got accused of hating toyota for putting all of the precieved issues into one post.

People would complain if the car was diesel powered, a wagon, could do the 'ring in 10min, got 40mpg, and cost $20k out the door.

just the way it is.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/30/14 11:59 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to Pat: Don't forget the threads about the BRZ twins. Everybody has reasons not to get one, even though everyone wanted one before hand. I got accused of hating toyota for putting all of the precieved issues into one post. People would complain if the car was diesel powered, a wagon, could do the 'ring in 10min, got 40mpg, and cost $20k out the door. just the way it is.

Probably because of the pixels.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
7/30/14 1:13 p.m.
Pat wrote: This is may sound snotty to some...not meant to be, but just a comment: Sometimes I read this board and think there is no pleasing some of you guys...in this particular case, an American car company produces a factory, warrantied, daily driveable 700+ horsepower car that is available with a 3rd pedal for an MRSP of about $60k and will go 11.2 on factory tires and 10.8's with drag radials...that sounds like a ton of win that any enthusiast should support, even if you'd rather have a 100 hp Miata.

One factor you list isn't real: no way the price will stay at or below MSRP. Already on the edge of affordability for "normal" people, they'll quickly get bid right out of reach. Call it "no pleasing", but I call it "resigned to reality."

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/14 1:47 p.m.
fornetti14 wrote: I can see two types of used Hellcat's in 5 years. The ones that have been totally run to hell and back on the race track and ones that sat in the garage and didn't move.

Just like Corvettes then

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
7/30/14 2:27 p.m.
kb58 wrote:
Pat wrote: This is may sound snotty to some...not meant to be, but just a comment: Sometimes I read this board and think there is no pleasing some of you guys...in this particular case, an American car company produces a factory, warrantied, daily driveable 700+ horsepower car that is available with a 3rd pedal for an MRSP of about $60k and will go 11.2 on factory tires and 10.8's with drag radials...that sounds like a ton of win that any enthusiast should support, even if you'd rather have a 100 hp Miata.
One factor you list isn't real: no way the price will stay at or below MSRP. Already on the edge of affordability for "normal" people, they'll quickly get bid right out of reach. Call it "no pleasing", but I call it "resigned to reality."

Not all dealers charge above MSRP even on specialty vehicles. I've been in that situation before on a very limited run car and found a dealer who would sell at MSRP. I had to fight to leave a deposit, but got the car in the end, so we'll see how it goes with this one.

Pat
Pat HalfDork
7/30/14 4:36 p.m.
kb58 wrote:

Wasn't really the point I was making, but if that's the case and that's what the market pay initially, more power to the people who will pay a marked up price. However, price gouging will only last as long as people are willing to pay for it.

Doesn't change the point I was making...every thread about something new always turns into moaning about why it's so bad. See the thread that popped up today about the fact that the Chevy SS can now be had with a 6 speed manual. An LS powered family hauler with 3 pedals...sheesh!

I'm just saying that there are some pretty kick ass cars out there these days, from crazy powered muscle cars to autocross friendly/tossable cars to track cars to fast family cars. I like some better then others and it's unlikely I'm buying any of them tomorrow, but as an enthusiast, I'm thrilled that every one of them is being built.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
7/30/14 4:48 p.m.

I agree with Pat. The people (most, not all) on this board kill me with the whining and complaining about the car they asked for. If GM/Ford?Chrysler/Honda/Mazda/BMW/etc. came on this boar, culled all the information and built personalized cars for each of us there'd still be people complaining. People criticize the car because it'll get bought by old dudes and put away. So what? That's not the cars fault.
I had a much longer diatribe typed but deleted it because the point has been made.
Quit belly-aching people. A car company that was all-but-dead a handful of years ago has produced an incredible car (just drove a Hellcat at slow speed yesterday!) that is 10's of thousands less than most cars that are it's equal. That's good for all of us.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
7/30/14 7:24 p.m.

If I had the money I would get one of these in a heart beat. Then I would have to buy a second one because my wife would take the first from me. More than likely I will never get anything beyond an SRT but hell even that is a hoot to drive. Heck my RT Charger puts a grin on my face and it has half the power of the Hellcat.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/31/14 8:02 a.m.

All I care about the Hellcat is how long until Keith stuffs one into a Miata

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wt1vTcsSTD6p4fOTyE0KfWM1e1cXzQQ4guqhdCHZgJeXtND0HgMxzA8vTwbjG4vx