Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
7/28/14 6:59 p.m.

Yes, it's a TDI. Yes, it's a manual. Yes, I got 47mpg on the drive home.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
7/28/14 7:31 p.m.

That's pretty impressive, my mk4 only gets 37.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
7/28/14 7:42 p.m.

47 you say ? Manual ? Wonder what they'd give me for my 00 golf TDI ? No..don't tell me...

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
7/28/14 8:02 p.m.

In reply to Travis_K:

That's rolling down the road at 70 in 6th with the cruise on and not downshifting for the mountains.

And all for under $23k.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
7/28/14 10:08 p.m.

Congrats, Ranger! I know you've been wanting new wheels for a while.

carzan
carzan Dork
7/28/14 10:14 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: That's pretty impressive, my mk4 only gets 37.

TDI? Really? My 2000 hasn't gotten under 47 since I bought it. Something doesn't seem right.

Opti
Opti Reader
7/28/14 10:41 p.m.

A good friends dad had a TDI manual Golf (boxy hatchback one, maybe a MK4) he got as a work vehicle, at first he hated it because its a VW, but 3 years later he bought it from them when they wanted to replace it because according to him it got 51 mpg all the time.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
7/29/14 12:04 a.m.
carzan wrote:
TDI? Really? My 2000 hasn't gotten under 47 since I bought it. Something doesn't seem right.

From what others have said yeah it seems like it should do better, but it may be that I only drive 15 miles to work. I did get almost 42 when I drove it on a couple of longer trips on the same tank, but 35-38 mpg for normal use. I'm actually going to sell it soon, the insurance increase over my 300sd is more than I save in fuel cost.

carzan
carzan Dork
7/29/14 7:23 a.m.
Travis_K wrote:
carzan wrote:
From what others have said yeah it seems like it should do better, but it may be that I only drive 15 miles to work. I did get almost 42 when I drove it on a couple of longer trips on the same tank, but 35-38 mpg for normal use. I'm actually going to sell it soon, the insurance increase over my 300sd is more than I save in fuel cost.

I bought mine in May and the worst I have measured is 49.3. A recent trip to Connecticut averaged 51.1. I've never gotten less than 600 miles out of a tank. My drive to work is either 17 or 23 miles depending on if I take backroads or highway.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/14 7:47 a.m.

My boss was at a VW dealer looking at a TDI something or other, and asked about mileage. An owner who was in for inspection piped right up and said "Don't believe that 40mpg crap. If I drop that low, I am doing something wrong!"

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
7/29/14 8:21 a.m.

Congrats on the new purchase!

These are awfully tempting, especially in Golf or SportWagon form. I've been looking at them for a while now as a potential replacement for my 3. The only real reason I haven't pulled the trigger is my previous 3 year sentence...err... lease with a 2002 Jetta 2.0L 8V. I celebrated in the parking lot after turning that car in. I still have nightmares about that car.

That said... a friend has a 1996 Passat TDI wagon with a stick. Quite the unicorn. If you've been to the Challenge the past few years, you've probably seen it. His dad bought it new, and it currently has over 250k on it. Last year on the way from MA to Gainesville and back, I think we were averaging 48mpg or more. Mind you, in addition to it having 250K+ on the clock, it was carrying 3 dudes and all our crap. It was astonishing.

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
7/29/14 8:38 a.m.

I was getting 45 MPG @ 70 in cruise with my 2012 Civic. Just lease swapped it for a 2014, we will see how that one does.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
68fWbswtu2BPp0xUsed4kkpMOHN6o3ThxTxNB587X1JeuMkc7r0N0ZRCNn9urxkN