1 2
akylekoz
akylekoz Reader
10/27/16 7:18 a.m.

I have been noticing this for that last few years, but now it more pronounced. When I first start my van it sounds exactly like a loose rod bearing, this only happens when it first starts. After about a mile or so it is gone completely. Oil pressure is 70 cold and 50-60 warm going down the road 25 at idle when hot. Oil pressure has not changed at all in the last 50,000 miles.

In my experience it acts the opposite of a loose rod bearing, they are usually quiet with cold oil and loud with hot oil.

What could it be, flex plate, power steering pump, timing chain, rod bearing?

2001 GMC Savana 5.7/ 4L60E, 185,000 miles, runs great no noise at all when warm and revs smooth.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/27/16 7:21 a.m.

Piston slap.

akylekoz
akylekoz Reader
10/27/16 7:42 a.m.

I also have 15-50 oil in it from pulling a 6000# trailer in 90 degree heat. Let me get some 10-30 in it and see what happens. It it is piston slap should I just continue to ignore it?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/16 7:53 a.m.

My lemons car did this. It was a very slightly bent valve.

Crackers
Crackers Reader
10/27/16 7:56 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: Piston slap.

Second.

Usually happens after getting too hot and the piston shrinks a few thousandths. When they warm up the piston expands just enough to stop making noise. My 5.7l DD does the same, for that reason.

I've also had 2 Ford 460's that I put a combined total of about 75k on them, before selling them still running, that did the same.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/27/16 7:56 a.m.

I'd go with piston slap also. My 99 LS does it also the first minute after start up but only when it's below 60 outside.

Crackers
Crackers Reader
10/27/16 8:01 a.m.

Best to let it warm up and quiet down before you put any load on it. Even after quieting down you likely still have excessive clearance that's slowly chewing stuff up.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
10/27/16 8:02 a.m.

Put me on the list of guys who own a chevy with the aforementioned piston slap. I have been told they build them looser to improve power and fuel economy and that causes this, but I can't back that up with any factual data.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/27/16 9:01 a.m.
Stampie wrote: I'd go with piston slap also. My 99 LS does it also the first minute after start up but only when it's below 60 outside.

Yep. I had a 99 G3500 that had it too.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/27/16 9:14 a.m.

It's a Chevy. Ignore it. When it's truly worn out, the cold crank rattle will drown out the piston slap.

Even then, I'd ignore it. It will rattle, while cold, for a long time, before anything actually fails.

akylekoz
akylekoz Reader
10/27/16 9:31 a.m.

Sounds like a plan, do nothing and hope for the best. This truck in nice enough to warrant another engine, its just a pain to change in a van. GoodWrench 5.7s go an sale for less than $1500, if it ever dies it may get one. I wonder if the GM employee discount works for engines, my dad retired from GM.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
10/27/16 9:31 a.m.

Probably piston slap, they all do that.

gearheadmb wrote: Put me on the list of guys who own a chevy with the aforementioned piston slap. I have been told they build them looser to improve power and fuel economy and that causes this, but I can't back that up with any factual data.

I heard that sometime in the mid 90s they quit doing A-B bore/piston matching and just started slapping stuff together.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
10/27/16 9:35 a.m.

does it have hydraulic lifters ?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/27/16 10:05 a.m.

+1 for piston slap. Nothing quiets it but new rings.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/27/16 8:30 p.m.
Crackers wrote:
dean1484 wrote: Piston slap.
Second. Usually happens after getting too hot and the piston shrinks a few thousandths. When they warm up the piston expands just enough to stop making noise. My 5.7l DD does the same, for that reason. I've also had 2 Ford 460's that I put a combined total of about 75k on them, before selling them still running, that did the same.

third, fourth, and fifth. In about 1992-93, GM started using very short piston skirts to combat friction. My 96 LT1 developed piston slap when cold at about 20k. It now has 149k.

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
10/27/16 10:45 p.m.

Good news. GM knows it happens. Bad news GM knows it happens.

They updated the oil filter so to reduce the amount of noise you hear on cold starts. Buy adding a valve that stops the oil for draining back into the pan. If you have an oil cooler the gasket inside the oil cooler may have failed. Allowing oil to drain into the pan.

akylekoz
akylekoz Reader
10/28/16 5:22 a.m.

Does this pertain to a 5.7, the Van chassis didn't get the 5.3 until maybe 03?

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
10/28/16 11:02 a.m.

Updated and corrected my response

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
10/29/16 9:20 a.m.

My high mileage 99 4.8 LS motor started doing this several years ago-I switched from Mobil 1 to Shell Rotella and the noise stopped. About 80,000 miles ago.

Not to try to start another "what oil" thread. But, what oil are you using? Just an idea.

I have a friend with a 5.7 Vortec Chevy Express 1 ton van that has 380,000 miles - fyi - it will run forever.

curtis73
10/29/16 6:19 p.m.
akylekoz wrote: Does this pertain to a 5.7, the Van chassis didn't get the 5.3 until maybe 03?

Yup. It pertains to pretty much every GM V8 and 90-degree V6 back to about 1992 and even earlier in the TPI engines. TPI, TBI, LT1, LSx, 4.3, etc. It was a GM decision on the larger engines to use shorter piston skirts to help reduce friction. Shorter piston, more piston rocking, more noise.

It has gotten to be less of an issue in the last decade or so; hypereutectic castings have gotten better at being thermally stable (not changing size with heat) so they can run tighter piston-bore tolerances. Much of the piston slap issues are when its cold and the piston is smaller. More stable alloy means that the bore can be smaller (or piston larger) without running into binding at operating temps.

curtis73
10/29/16 6:27 p.m.
TIGMOTORSPORTS wrote: My high mileage 99 4.8 LS motor started doing this several years ago-I switched from Mobil 1 to Shell Rotella and the noise stopped. About 80,000 miles ago.

Interested in this. The 5.4L in my F150 has some piston slap and I'm running Mobil 1. I bought it at 98k and it has 107k now. I mostly did the Mobil 1 because the underside of the hood was plastered with Mobil 1 stickers with mileages written on them (and Advance was having one of those $32 for a 5-quart jug and Bosch oil filter sales). I don't know that the previous owner used Mobil 1 (he maybe just had some stickers), but maybe I'll try something else next time and see if it changes.

The switch to Rotella could have helped simply because its thicker too.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/16 6:42 p.m.

"How cute, you have piston slap that goes away after a few minutes" said every Subaru 2.5 owner ever.

akylekoz
akylekoz Reader
10/31/16 5:19 a.m.

Interesting.

I changed my oil yesterday, dumped out the 15-40 Delo and replaced it with random 10-30 and about a half of a quart of mystery oil. This morning when I started it the noise was gone. 40 degrees out the coldest morning yet, it should have been worse.

Pleased yet puzzled as to why this happened. Also filled the power steering reservoir, it wasn't empty but below the full cold mark.

Crackers
Crackers Reader
10/31/16 1:37 p.m.

MMO probably loosened up a gunked up ring adding some stability would be my guess.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
10/31/16 10:42 p.m.

Turn the radio up so you can't hear it, which also has the extra benefit of putting a little more load on the alternator, which works the engine a little harder, which warms it up faster..

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pITFxORYnQ6NWsZHJOkvo2JpX4HhUhyzvF4U4IgU6FrmsAOvjrsjlTn6JJyGqjUG