dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/6/09 8:54 p.m.

I think I may have found the Turbo I am looking for for my project. It is advertised as a Garrett/Airesearch T3 Turbo T03 .42/.48" from an 1988 Volvo 740.

That Volvo appears to have come with a 2.3L motor. My car is 2.5 so it should be a reasonable match since I am wanting a low pressure fast spin up application not a race car application.

According to http://www.dieselevante.it/index.asp

It is a Garrett TB036 Family

I can not find a map for this. I can not find a specific Garrett part number to reference either. Anyone got any info. Or better yet a map for this unit.

I have not searched around the turbo brick site yet.

On another note: Is $175 +/- shipped for this unit a fair deal? It looks complete and appears to be in good condition. Shafts are tight spins nice impellers look to be in good shape. Advertised as good working order comes will all flanges fittings and pipes for the oil and water.

Any help / opinions greatly appreciated.

DirtE30
DirtE30 New Reader
8/6/09 9:11 p.m.

We currently have this exact turbo on our BMW E30. we are running this at nearly 10lbs of boost paired with 24lb injectors. Boost on the 2.5M20 is almost instant, the downfall of this turbo is that is gasses out in the higher RPM. It is a great little turbo that has really given our car some life. But as far as price goes I think 175 is a little on the high side. We were able to pull our turbo out of the junk yard for a cost just over 65.00. From the recent years of going to the junkyards down here in Florida I could say it is the most common turbo car that I see. I would suggest going down to the local bone yard and take a look around. If you dont have any near you then I can say that 175 is a good deal.

dean1484
8/6/09 9:35 p.m.

Would you want to pull one for me and ship it? I have not seen one of those in the yards around here but I really have not looked.

Hmmm $65 plus 2-4 hours in the yard or $150 plus shipping. Time is worth something so the delivered to my door price is looking not so bad!

Speaking of things you have a turbo e30 with NO pix in your profile? Do you have a web page of the build?

DirtE30
DirtE30 New Reader
8/6/09 9:41 p.m.

here is a link to a current thread that we have been documenting our build for the past three years

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76076

DirtE30
DirtE30 New Reader
8/6/09 9:44 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Hmmm $65 plus 2-4 hours in the yard or $150 plus shipping. Time is worth something so the delivered to my door price is looking not so bad!

Yeah you are right time is worth something so it may not be a bad deal. I have this Challenge mentality. But check it out next time your at the yard. Also grab the injectors from that car as well they are 30lb.

dean1484
8/6/09 9:55 p.m.
DirtE30 wrote:
dean1484 wrote: Hmmm $65 plus 2-4 hours in the yard or $150 plus shipping. Time is worth something so the delivered to my door price is looking not so bad!
Yeah you are right time is worth something so it may not be a bad deal. I have this Challenge mentality. But check it out next time your at the yard. Also grab the injectors from that car as well they are 30lb.

What is the impedance of the Volvo injectors?

My car stock has low impedance

I have a couple sets of 35lb low impedance brown tops (ten total I think). I also have the injectors from a 951 however these are high impedance. I dont remember how many lbs these are at the moment.

DirtE30
DirtE30 New Reader
8/6/09 9:58 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

what car are you going to be placing this turbo on?

dean1484
8/6/09 10:10 p.m.
DirtE30 wrote: In reply to dean1484: what car are you going to be placing this turbo on?

924s

Two Words

Do it!!!!

With the fender flairs that would be something else!!!

dean1484
8/6/09 10:14 p.m.

What are you controlling fuel and spark with? Could you give a little more info on your engine management.

Raze
Raze Reader
8/7/09 8:08 a.m.

If you're going to get into the world of DIY turbo w/custom management, look into MegaSquirt, and then stop looking. Not to sound like an advertisement but DIYAutoTune has killer kits, and Matt (MadScientist on this board) works for them and can diagnose problems on these buggers in near real-time on the spot in almost any application. When we built our Holset fed 2.3L we decided to control with with MS, it was worth it considering the cost and the the result, difficulty was high due to learning curve and it requires patience but in the end we learned something invaluable and cool...

As for your turbo, There's some maps on the T03/40 and T03/45 which is around what yours is, you could make a good guess based on these maps: http://web.inter.nl.net/users/turbo-team-europe/compress.htm with the nifty free online calculator : http://www.turbofast.com.au/turbomap.html which contains those 3 maps plus many more. If you had asked about a T03/60 I'd be more useful since that's what came on 2.3L TurboFords.

Looks like alot of Nissan and Honda guys use this particular turbo, If you're dead set on it I'd lurk their forums and snag one for half the price you're looking at, I found quite a few for sale in a few different forums, they were AirResearch T3 .42/.48 for under $100. Otherwise it may be a better idea to go through the calculator above, determine your desired power levels, figure out how much $$$ you have to put into things like management, fuel system upgrades (pump, injector(s)), broken parts, blown headgaskets, and other necessities and go from there...

dean1484
8/8/09 9:28 a.m.

Yep you are corect!!! I am actually going the Microsquirt round. I already have a programmable EDIS system in place that takes the control away from the DME and make the speed and reference sensors not needed!!!

Speaking of the DME I need on that I can tear apart for the plug and housing. If anyone had one that is junk I I could really use it. It is the last really big part of the puzzle that I need.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NEWqjW4TJk2oeZVmgE8ILR8QpqyKr6j4RJZY3c2i6TtJS8Nvwf0AZmXV3QAkiQuS