1 2 3 4
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/19 7:23 p.m.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/6/19 8:54 p.m.

Well, we can just end this thread. It's pretty clear, based on his other recent thread, that Chris has made up his mind on what direction he is going. I stole the 2nd picture off his computer that lays out his plans.

from his "I got a free car" thread: 

Stolen secret plan for adventure rig:

Image result for offroad camry

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
1/6/19 9:29 p.m.

^best post in days. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/19 10:01 a.m.

(Haven't read through the whole thread yet, but I will later.)

I'm on team 12v Cummins. I love my 97. Not without issues, but overall it's tough. Don't go for a 24v though.

The initial downside I can see is that the 2nd gen body did not have a 4-door option, just extended cab. Mine is an extended cab, technically I can fit 6 people, and I have, but it's tight. If you're mostly going to be 2 people, with the occasional 4 person trip it'd be great, otherwise possibly a more spacious cab with a 12v swap might be a good idea... 

Dr Ribs Revere
Dr Ribs Revere Reader
1/7/19 1:00 p.m.

Found a solution!  has anyone posted this yet??  Volvo C304

maybe add the diesel engine of your choice for highway speed and horse towing.

1975 Volvo C304 6×6

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
1/7/19 3:25 p.m.

Honestly why has no one suggested a sprinter van? various sizes and easy to segment, already diesel. 4x4 conversion might tip the scale on cost overall but how much horse towing you planning? are these ponies or Clydesdales? 

In general any diesel van (GM/Ford/Nissan) should do you well  for a start. I think the tacoma is too small and parts are too pricey, given its setup you need to spring for more aluminum parts for the storage area which gets pricey and you cant just weld up a box. 

Add another vote for GM HD truck platform as they have their qwerks but you can literally fix 95% of the things in it at the auto parts store and they will likely have the parts in stock, it may not be cool diesel but it will get the job done and you can just hate on it as hard as you want because already worthless. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/7/19 3:34 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101 :

His fear of Sprinters is the same as mine: reliability and repair costs. The former is somewhat questionable and the latter is high. 

Plus, the buy-in price is very high for a van with usually a lot of miles.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/7/19 4:06 p.m.
fidelity101 said:

Honestly why has no one suggested a sprinter van?

They have; it was discussed on the first page.

80sFast
80sFast Reader
1/7/19 7:28 p.m.

The $10k budget is the big holdup in most suggestions. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VAPPprCEQCFccZTQg9fYvyyWHGXQL0l5hxphEojdE0rw2l3keBPDkb4xOJo7gHYd