1 2
fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
9/29/20 9:08 p.m.

So my 2004 XC70 has pissed me of for the last time, so I need a new DD.

Since my driving consists of sucky driving on pothole infested trafic jammed roads for 360 days a year, I would like to replace it with something powerful and comfortable.

List of needs and wants:

- Comfy, but not wallowy

- plenty of room in the back. I have three teenagers and they are getting squeezed in the Volvo

- Power! With a nice v8 sound if possible, but a turbo might do the trick. Since this is to squeeze through trafic, lag is not acceptable

- with the little mileage I do, I really don't care about MPG's

- somewhat reliable...my Volvo has been less reliable than my old Alfa Milano, so I guess I have a high threshold of pain, but I really want something better

- 4k to 6k budget

- 2005+

- capable of towing 1500lbs minimum

- since I live in the great white north, AWD is a bonus but not a must since winter tires are mandatory here

So that cars that I've been looking into:

- 2005+ Audi A6 4.2

- Cadillac STS

- Chrysler 300c

- Dodge Magnum RT

- Infiniti M35x and M45

- Jaguar XJ8

- Volvo S80 v8

Am I missing any candidates? Some that I really should avoid? Personal experiences to share? Etc...

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/29/20 9:20 p.m.

In before Indy Guy says Jag wink

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/29/20 9:21 p.m.

GS400 or GS430 Lexus 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/29/20 9:23 p.m.
Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
9/29/20 9:29 p.m.

E class Mercedes, you pick the level of power

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/29/20 9:48 p.m.

I just love the dodge. Hot rod garage did a build on one and it was awesome.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
9/29/20 9:55 p.m.

How much are the Lexus LS up there?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/29/20 9:55 p.m.

Our 05 LS430 is fantastic with sports package as luxo barge and our Ls600hL is amazing. 

neither are really $4-$6k 

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
9/29/20 10:06 p.m.

Lexus 400 or 430.  If the AWD is required, they make the GS 300 AWD and it's probably pretty good in your price range.  

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
9/29/20 10:25 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner :

The Jag is beautiful comfortable and vastly underrated.  Because of that it's the real bargain of the cars listed. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/20 10:25 p.m.

If you go the Jag route, I strongly suggest an X308 XJR.  The non-supercharged versions got the typical ZF pile of horse-pucky while the SC versions got a much better (but more expensive to fix) Mercedes transmission.  If the ZF goes bad, you have three choices. 1) take it to a rebuilder and pay a hefty price.  They will try and fail a dozen times before they start telling you "no that's how its supposed to be" and stop taking your calls.  Rebuilding a ZF is like braiding Rapunzel's hair.  If it doesn't end up just right, you have 50' of hair to unbraid and try to fix.  2) purchase a factory reman for $4000 or more, or buy a $1400 junkyard unit and say a prayer.  The mercedes trans is far beefier.  It's expensive to rebuild, but it can be done well by many builders.

All X350s got a newer ZF box regardless of engine, and a full aluminum body with no provisions for any kind of hitch, and (from what I understand) no real meat back there to redneck your own version of a hitch.  But I would imagine with 1500 lbs it could be engineered safely.

I wouldn't say an X308 is all that roomy in the back unless you get the Vanden Plas, but in an X308, getting the supercharger AND the long wheelbase meant Super V8, of which they only sent about 3000 stateside during the entire X308 production run.  I've been looking for one for three years.  Found a few but didn't tick enough boxes to lay down cash.

The 300/Magnum will fit the bill, but I wouldn't call them luxo in that lineup.  Comparing a Jag to a Magnum is like comparing a Bentley to a Willys.

I personally steer clear of any E class after a W210.  Personal preference given my lack of disposable income for things like repairs.  They aren't terrible, but they can contain a significant burden to the wallet.  Same could be said about the Audi, but I didn't keep track of them past about 03.  They may have improved.

Before deciding on the Caddy, drive one for a while.  On paper, they sound great.  In driving, I find them to be very not so great.  They feel more Caddy DTS from 1996 than a contender with Jag, Merc, or Audi.  The electronic controls everything you don't want it to.  Shift points?  There are no shift points. At least not that you can select with a button, lever, or throttle.  It is totally on dial-up.  You floor it to pass, it dials a rotary phone number to the ECM, you hear the AOL modem handshake squawks, aaaannnnnd.... then "you've got downshift."  God forbid you decide to change your mind on the pass and let up.  Right about then, it finally downshifts.... so another phone call on the modem and wait for "you've got upshift."  Mom had one.  She never passed, nor did she have a clue on what a downshift was.  She's a turn key, put in drive, press the pedal kind of driver.  Every time dad or I drove it we wanted to roll it off a cliff and take the insurance check.

9/29/20 10:33 p.m.

Doesn't Jeep have some brutal borrowings from Mopar in the Grand Cherokee these days?  Not a luxo barge in the car sense, but pretty sporty and useful.

9/29/20 10:34 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Petrolburner :

The Jag is beautiful comfortable and vastly underrated.  Because of that it's the real bargain of the cars listed. 

Agreed... with the caveat that 2005+ puts him into aluminum body with no provision for a hitch.  I've never looked under there to determine if Jag is just saying it won't tow, or if it actually has no decent points to mount a hitch.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/29/20 10:34 p.m.

If you want the Audi, I'd go with a C5 S6 over the C6 A6.  A) it's a wagon, B) converting to manual is a documented thing, C) it's got the timing belt at the front instead of the timing chain at the back with the iffy tensioners.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
9/29/20 10:43 p.m.

I've been driving a Crown Vic P71 for the past few years.  It's the only thing remotely close to your list that I've ever had but I do really enjoy it as a rolling lounge/office.  2 teenage kids love the back seat comfort.  A hitch sourced from a junkyard lets me pull the boat around when I want (and I'd haul a car in a pinch).  With new struts and shocks a couple years back it really handles better than a car this size should.  It has been VERY reliable (has 279K on it as of today) during my ownership.  It's available in your year and price range.

It's not luxurious and it's not AWD. 

You could maybe opt for a Mercury Grand Marquis or Lincoln Town Car if that sort of thing does it for you. 

That's one data point for you (and there are a few others in Mr. Asa's thread linked above).

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/30/20 2:25 a.m.

I would say Genesis... but I can't find that's rated for towing?

03Panther
03Panther Dork
9/30/20 4:15 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

The 300/Magnum will fit the bill, but I wouldn't call them luxo in that lineup.  Comparing a Jag to a Magnum is like comparing a Bentley to a Willys.

Curtis nailed that comparison right on the head! I miss my magnum terribly, but refined is not a word that would EVER be thought of.

I haven't been around any Jags in many years, but you mentioned the back seat of the Volvo getting small... and the jags I seen make it look like a dance floor back there.

The 03 and up panthers fit the bill, except the engine output is somewhat meh... it is at least a decent V8, and ultra dependable. Find a Marauder (03-04 only) with the cobra engine... still blah by todays standards, but great cars! Or the slightly longer versions of the town car, if ya want a real back seat.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/20 6:30 a.m.

M45?  Infiniti v8's make nice sounds.  If you can up your budget a bit i saw an m56x (awd) in MN for around 10k a few weeks ago

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
9/30/20 6:52 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

In before Indy Guy says Jag wink

Have I really become that guy?

LOL

Sorry, but I really do enjoy daily driving a Jag.  And It looks like Curtis already suggested the upgrade from XJ8 to XJR.

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
9/30/20 7:34 a.m.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I had totally forgotten about the Lexus GS and the Genesis. I'll add them to the list. 

I am absolutely not interested in Mercedes or BMW's. The Audi is on the list because VAGCOM is available and Quattro is really nice in winter. But my past experience with a B5 left me a little scared.

Agreed that the 300/Magnum isn't as luxurious as the rest, but the 300 I tried was a nice enough place to spend time. And oddly enough, around here they are the same price as the rest.

I would love a Jag, but the X308 is simply too small. I saw a Supercharged Vanden Plas for sale 2 years ago, but they are rare. I was looking more into the X350, but I had totally forgotten about the hitch situation.

And I'm not interested in Crown Vics. I spent a few weeks with one and even drove it on Highway 1 in California. It's a nice steer. But by modern standards, the engine is a joke. It's less powerful than all the V6 versions of the cars I'm looking into. Maybe a Marauder, but they seem to have semi-collector pricing around here.

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
9/30/20 7:42 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Doesn't Jeep have some brutal borrowings from Mopar in the Grand Cherokee these days?  Not a luxo barge in the car sense, but pretty sporty and useful.

For what I'm looking for, this might not be a bad idea. 

I'm really not an SUV/truck guy so it hadn't cross my mind.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/30/20 7:48 a.m.

following

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/30/20 7:53 a.m.

On a related note, any reason SUVs weren't on the list? It looks like that price would get a mid 2000s one of the luxury truck based things like a GMC Yukon or Lincoln Navigator.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/30/20 8:08 a.m.

BMW 5 series wagon?

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
9/30/20 8:17 a.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

On a related note, any reason SUVs weren't on the list? It looks like that price would get a mid 2000s one of the luxury truck based things like a GMC Yukon or Lincoln Navigator.

I already have a Suburban for truck things. While I love it for transporting people and stuff and towing, it's really isn't nice to drive.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
POK0Z5mCXbkRmAoOcSL6ac11BOJIYUzXJ8yKg0wbGAacQNn3J92HTXKPtLa8Cex5