ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
10/30/14 8:59 a.m.

Allright folks, we now have 25k on the wife's 2014 Mazda 6 and the Dunlop 5000 all seasons are approaching the wear bars on the front. They've been decent tires but there is a LOT of road noise at highway speeds. Although I think the car could use more sound proofing I suspect the tires are most of the problem.

Unfortunately they are an odd size with not a ton of choices - 225/45-19. This is our road trip car, go-to transportation, and the wife's DD. I want something that will be quiet, handle adverse weather, and wear well. And I'd like to keep it under $1000 a set installed. We don't see much snow in these parts, but it does get cold and wet and occasionally icy, so I'd prefer an all season. If I have to go with a summer tire I probably can, but I'd rather not.

So, given the local tire places, I usually buy from Discount Tire. Here's what they list: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/resetFiltersTire.do?fl=&rcz=31005&c=31&ar=45&rf=true&fqs=true&rd=19&rc=GAAINT&cs=225

I checked Tire Rack and they have about the same selection.

What would you recommend from the above list?

I could step up to a 245/40-19 and have a slightly better selection, but going to a wider patch will increase noise and possibly hydroplaning tendencies, and decrease mileage. Not sure it's worth it but if you have experience that direction, say so.

WWGRMD?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/30/14 9:05 a.m.

Pilot Sport A/S 3. Have them on the Wife's car which plays the same role in our family and we love them. very confident handling in all conditions and just overall a good tire.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
10/30/14 9:13 a.m.

onlinetires.com also list Yokahama Avid in that size. I have them on my Miata (different size) for winter use and they seem to be very good so far.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
10/30/14 9:34 a.m.
bmw88rider wrote: Pilot Sport A/S 3. Have them on the Wife's car which plays the same role in our family and we love them. very confident handling in all conditions and just overall a good tire.

I was looking at those. I've always liked Michelins on our Explorer, but I heard the A/S 3s were noisy. Any noticeable noise on yours?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/30/14 9:37 a.m.

Much quieter than the OEM's they replaced. But those were the BMW run-flats so that is not saying a heck of a lot.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
10/30/14 9:54 a.m.

Is the General Altimax HP available in that size? Just put a set on my girlfriend's Corolla. I like them so far. Widely recommended on this forum.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
10/30/14 9:57 a.m.

If you can get the Conti DWS (not the DW they have listed, at least not for all season) in anything near that size, I recommend it heartily.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/30/14 10:09 a.m.
Duke wrote: If you can get the Conti DWS (not the DW they have listed, at least not for all season) in anything near that size, I recommend it heartily.

Just checked, not available.

This is slightly disheartening since my wife just picked up a 2015 Mazda 6 with the same size tires.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
10/30/14 10:17 a.m.

I knew it was going to be an issue but I had hoped the factory tires would have a little more life in them. The choices really are pretty short, especially in all seasons when this isn't a car that really justifies sticky, short-wear, summer tires.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
10/30/14 10:23 a.m.

Given those choices, the Michelins seem like the obvious pick.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
10/30/14 12:28 p.m.

I believe that plenty of drivers get 25k miles on the harder compound summer tires. I would suggest one of those if you were asking this question in late March. I would suggest the Michelin Pilot Sports too because I would be worried that the General G-Max would be noisy (I'm looking on Tire Rack). I had a different set of General tires before.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
10/30/14 2:33 p.m.

yeah, but I'd like to get 40+k out of a set of tires, ideally. That would at least last 2 years and drop my tire budget to $500/year. Spending $800 on tires every 18 months is insane. I've been getting 30+k out of summer hi perf tires on my mustang for crying out loud, and I KNOW it get driven harder than the Mazda does.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/30/14 2:35 p.m.

CS5

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
10/30/14 2:41 p.m.

If the bridgestone Ecopia is available in that size that is where I would go; they are quiet and I have 33,000 on them now and they are wearing really well.

Edit: if the fronts are wearing you need to be rotating more. Cheaper to rotate than buy tires...

skierd
skierd SuperDork
10/31/14 6:13 p.m.

Just want to chime in on how much I dislike the stock Yokohama's on the 6 Sport. Already at half tread after a little under 10k miles and hopefully they'll be gone by the end of next summer.

Just put a set of Blizzaks on mine, so no help here till next summer. I'm leaning towards Conti DWS's and/or a set of 18" wheels to replace the 17's for summer use.

einy
einy New Reader
10/31/14 6:48 p.m.

Interesting thread to watch, as I am in a similar spot with my GTI and am considering many of the same choices here ....

Mmadness
Mmadness HalfDork
11/1/14 12:14 p.m.

Michelin A/S 3 + $25 snow cables from pepboys. They do a passable job in light snow but with an open differential, that will be $25 well spent when trying to traverse a hill.

Make sure you fill out all the warranty paperwork.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fHZuc0Jby0nHHRnPl6EfH1lkmY4NJfRTFg1jw9QUIZQfNDeWIGLuhm5st3t0gFSL