Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/17 11:32 a.m.

I need to upgrade some tools. Help me decide between this:

Dewalt Combo

or this plus this:

Dewalt 1/2" impact

and :

Milwaukee 12v impact

I have a bunch of DeWalt stuff and I really like it. I wish they made a compact ratchet like the Milwaukee. The small DeWalt is more powerful, but won't fight as well into tight spaces. The Milwaukee means that I would need to make space for an extra charger.

Go!

Blaise
Blaise Reader
5/24/17 11:34 a.m.

I use https://www.cpomilwaukee.com/ for certified 'used' Milwaukee stuff. When the price is right, the price is REALLY right.

Edit: In this case the CPO tool matches the new price. Oh well.

JBasham
JBasham Reader
5/24/17 11:43 a.m.

I have that DEWALT DCF889M2 impact gun and it is my favorite tool. Just ridiculous power. I just did all the bushings on the rear suspension of my E36, pressing them in and out with that puppy and a ball joint press clamp. I broke some press cups. The impact gun was never the weak link in the chain. Plenty of battery life, and they recharge fast to boot.

Cactus
Cactus Reader
5/24/17 12:25 p.m.

Here's my advice: Stick to one battery system. I was given a Bosch drill once, and I've fleshed out that set. Nothing worse than having to switch between batteries for different tools, particularly when you're not in the garage next to the chargers.

porschenut
porschenut Reader
5/24/17 12:29 p.m.

Both. What I did. The Milwaukee is great for small spaces but has no balls. The dewalt rocks. Don't sweat the two battery thing, not a big deal. The flashlight is a waste though, much better stuff out there.
Bought this setup many years ago, still works great and battery life is excellent.

engiekev
engiekev New Reader
5/24/17 12:46 p.m.

eBay has a 20% off $50 or more for tools right now:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361591

Tools Plus Outlet has some good deals right now on milwaukee and bosch sets

http://www.ebay.com/sch/tools-plus-outlet/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
5/24/17 1:42 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

From the former Dewalt Employee take a look at what the Dewalt Sister company has.....

MAC RATCHET

It uses the DEWALT batteries. The issues is getting someone to sell it to you. When I worked there the merger was still settling and so they knew they were going to make this product but everyone was fighting to lead the sale of them. Now that they own Craftsman as well IDK if this will trickle down to Craftsman or Dewalt mechanic tools or Stanley mechanic tools, or Bostich tools all of which are open to consumers unlike MAC.

GroupSects
GroupSects GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/24/17 1:46 p.m.

I'll vote for option B with the milwaukee set, that electric ratchet is one of the better things I've ever bought. It's awesome for A)being lazy and B) removing bolts in places where you're lucky to get more than one click out of a ratchet. It is weak but it's already one of my favorite tools after I used it while changing out a master cylinder. Also it lasts forever on a charge.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
5/24/17 1:48 p.m.

I am on the "Stick with one battery" camp, although I think the 12V stuff is passé. I have lots of 18 volt Milwaukee, and its fine. If I had bought 18 volt Makita or Dewalt, I'd have stuck with that.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
5/24/17 2:04 p.m.

OH WAIT looks like MAC tools are available online now to anyone. cool.

I couldn't even get them as an employee of the same company.

Woody
5/24/17 3:53 p.m.

In reply to Advan046:

Thanks for the info. That's an interesting option, but I'm trying to get everything in the fleet using 20v Li-Ion batteries now.

Cool tool though.

Mac Ratchet without batteries, $219.99

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/24/17 4:16 p.m.

I've given up on the "one battery to rule them all" plan. Sounds great in theory, but you still end up with a shelf full of chargers.

So I would probably go with the "both" plan. The M12 ratchet is apparently the schits.

Eventually I need to suck it up and either buy new DeWalt 18V batteries or sell off those and upgrade to a newer Li-Ion kit.

Woody
5/24/17 4:20 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Eventually I need to suck it up and either buy new DeWalt 18V batteries or sell off those and upgrade to a newer Li-Ion kit.

DeWalt has an adapter that lets you use 20v Li-Ion batteries in their 18v tools. That's how I plan on handling all of my old 18v stuff.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
5/24/17 9:32 p.m.

I use mostly DeWalt 20 volt stuff and love my DCF899. I will have to check out the MAC ratchet since my current one comes with an air hose attached.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy Reader
5/24/17 9:53 p.m.

Stick to one brand/battery. I'm a Milwaukee Fuel guy. Seen plenty of guys at the shop use them, so when I started, I went with Milwaukee.

Love my 1/4" impact driver for light duty stuff. My 1/2" impact wrench does the rest. Batteries lasted all week of constant use. They last forever now that I don't work in a shop anymore.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
5/25/17 6:28 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

NP I hope it helped. Also be aware that there are chargers that handle both 12V and 20V, even charger radios.

I would either go with Dewalt lineup or Makita.

Just a side note, at DeWalt we knew the 100% of all the big tool makers are non USA based, so buy American is not really possible anymore. I still hear of people talking as if Milwaukee and Skil Tools still are American. But pretty much everything is Euro-Asian owned now.

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 Reader
5/25/17 6:46 a.m.

Milwaukee is owned by TTI, maker of Ryobi and Ridgid cordless tools.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
5/25/17 6:51 a.m.
Wxdude10 wrote: Milwaukee is owned by TTI, maker of Ryobi and Ridgid cordless tools.

Yeah TTI is actually a pretty good engineering company out of Hong Kong they innovated a few things here and there. From what we heard from Milwaukee guys at trade shows, they felt TTI was doing them well.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/17 6:53 a.m.

Get something that will allow you to add options forever.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/17 7:16 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

If it wasn't for their crappy batteries, I'd still be using them. Great tools, supported by a unbelievably crappy battery system. After having 4 of them fail, at $90 a pop, on the job, the drill and impact went in the trash and I bought a Rigid with a lifetime battery warranty.

DeWalt drills don't last for me, after several broken gear sets, I gave up on them, and their chucks SUCK.

Milwaukee, I have no experience with. My father likes his.

The 12V Rigid line is awesome. I use it more than I do the big drill.

Hitachi, is fair. The drill clutches won't stay locked, which is irritating, but they have plenty of power and hold up for the most part. I use that set at home now.

The one time I tried a Bosch, the switch on both drills died after about 6 months. No more Bosch for me.

The last drill 4 drills I've bought are Rigid. We are very abusive to them. Lots of big hole saws, lots of #14 X 4" screws, lots of #14 drill and taps. They just suck it up and keep working. As a bonus, all 10 of the batteries still work.

For home use, any of them will probably be fine. They are a production tool for me, I don't have time to deal with crap that doesn't work or fails in the middle of a job. Time is worth much more than a $150 drill.

Woody
5/25/17 8:17 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: DeWalt drills don't last for me, after several broken gear sets, I gave up on them, and their chucks SUCK.

DeWalt drills are offered with at least two different chuck styles. I have had both. One is not great but the other is very good.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/25/17 8:22 a.m.
Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/28/17 6:22 p.m.

Is anyone using this? RYOBI 18V ONE+™ POWER INFLATOR

Link

The 18-Volt ONE+ Power Inflator is a new offering from the ONE+ system of over 50 great tools, available as a Special Buy while supplies last. This 18-Volt Power Inflator is perfect for tires and small inflatables ranging from 0-150 psi. The cordless convenience allows for use in virtually any location. The 18-Volt ONE+ Power Inflator is sold as a bare tool, allowing you to build on your ONE+ collection without spending additional money on batteries and chargers with each tool purchase. Best of all, like every RYOBI 18-Volt ONE+ blue or green tool, this Power Inflator works with any 18-Volt ONE+ battery. Upgrade to lithium-ion or LITHIUM+ batteries for lighter weight and better performance.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
5/29/17 8:41 p.m.
Woody wrote:
Ian F wrote: Eventually I need to suck it up and either buy new DeWalt 18V batteries or sell off those and upgrade to a newer Li-Ion kit.
DeWalt has an adapter that lets you use 20v Li-Ion batteries in their 18v tools. That's how I plan on handling all of my old 18v stuff.

What I don't get is for the same price they sell a kit that has two batteries a charger and a drill! DEWALT DCD791B 20V MAX XR Li-Ion 0.5" Brushless Compact Drill/Driver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0183RLWIK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_NZmlzbR5H104H I don't know why they charger that much for the adaptor

Woody
5/29/17 9:14 p.m.

In reply to joey48442:

The Amazon link that you posted was for a bare tool; no batteries, no charger.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pT4cS71K2Vb2meaginQ4eegBmu1HuXv2iMkFHMadnnURbH2nAXF3WaJKe6dHrWCc