fifty Reader
May 5, 2010 1:52 p.m.

EDIT: or would that be LOCOST... pardon the typo.

I've got a line on a complete Miata 1.6L drivetrain - it includes the rear subframe, diff and axles.

My first thought was "Locost!". I read the Ron Champion and Keith Tanner books several years ago and I'm familiar with the stock frame and the plus sized McSorley frames.

I've been perusing the www.locostusa.com forums to get some frame ideas - if someone info on a frame that is 2 inches wider than the "book" frame and incorporates the Miata subframe, I'd like to hear about it. Also, if you have some tips for stiffening the frame, such as using round DOM tubing to make the transmission tunnel, I'd like to hear it also.

I'll be welding this myself, just looking to get some good ideas before I dive into it.

Thanks, Iain

Dr. Hess SuperDork
May 5, 2010 2:05 p.m.

Do the Aussie Mods to stiffen it up.

Keith SuperDork
May 5, 2010 2:09 p.m.

I think the Gibbs book has a Miata-friendly option. I'm not sure.

Keep in mind that a "book" frame is already larger than a Lotus Seven, and a +2 is a really big car by these standards. The smaller frames are stiffer.

fifty Reader
May 5, 2010 2:21 p.m.

Thanks guys. Being an ex-pat Aussie, I like the doctor's prescription!

Keith - what dimensions are the CMC frame that you have? Same as the Ron Champion book frame?

Keith SuperDork
May 5, 2010 2:24 p.m.

Yes, my frame is a "book" frame with some alterations at the rear for the IRS and a (poorly) widened front track.

kreb Dork
May 5, 2010 2:45 p.m.

Bear in mind that even a generously sized Seveneque like the Stalker has rather narrow butt wells. Make sure that you fit what you build. That sounds basic, but I can think of a couple of builders who couldn't

Dr. Hess SuperDork
May 5, 2010 3:07 p.m.

Iain, if you venture west a few hours, you're welcome to come look at my build. From what I understand, a Miata drivetrain should fit a book chassis, no problem, with no need to go "plus size." My build is a book frame with Aussie Mods, up to the back end, then my own IRS design, plus my own suspension location points at the front. Dave Hempy did a Miata based build and just kinda hung the rear end up in the air and built frame around it until it all tied in, from what I understand. I saw his car in KC a couple years ago. The CMC Miata based frame "had issues." Of course, CMC "had issues" and that's why there's no CMC anymore.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Grassroots Motorsports Experience Ticket Renewals Have Been Sent

14 hours ago in News

Check your inbox for our Grassroots Motorsports Experience renewals.

First Drive: Turbo ND MX-5

15 hours ago in News

We hit the track with Flyin' Miata's latest power adder.

Project Turbo Miata: Fire Fighting

17 hours ago in Project Cars

We transfer the fire system to our new Miata.

Vintage Views: GMC Syclone and Typhoon

1 day ago in Articles

All-wheel drive, turbo power and a Q-ship’s stealth.

Classic Motorsports Mitty Presented by Hagerty Celebrates Porsche

2 days ago in News

Gearhead heaven? We think it looks something like this.

This Weekend at the Mitty: The Ultimate Auto Festival

5 days ago in News

Gates open this Friday for the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta.

ND Miata Turbo Kits Now Available!

5 days ago in News

Add 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs!

What's the Plan, Man?

6 days ago in Articles

Thoughts on our racing plan for the year.

Meet the Rebels Who Started the Cannonball Run

1 week ago in News

Relive those desperado days through movie excerpts, and hear the real facts and wild stories from the legends themselves.

Up for Auction: All of Level 5 Motorsports's Hardware

1 week ago in News

It's a pro race team part out.

Can You Really Live With a Low-Buck Porsche 911?

1 week ago in News

For the past two years, on of our forum regulars has been chronicling his life with a Porsche 996.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Autocross Abomination

1 week ago in News

Classic British styling with a rotary engine?

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
MLVj8K4u30slalFqBeqd39etah6KpYlz