1 2 3 4
grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/28/18 3:52 p.m.
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/28/18 3:53 p.m.

I recently passed a pair of them parked in Tampa in front of an office building--MLK just west of I-275. Kind of a random sight. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
8/28/18 4:14 p.m.

SOLD. BAT. $22,500

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
8/28/18 7:11 p.m.

If you find one you want eyes on in Houston, I can take a look, there are quite a few up for sale.  theres also a dealer that kinda specializes in 80 series that gets some 40 series in from time to time. 

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
8/28/18 7:47 p.m.
onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
8/29/18 8:28 a.m.

can't believe no one has mentioned ih8mud

it's the go-to place on the net for Cruisers.  anything you'll ever need to know is there.

Classifieds:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/fj40-bj40.331/

D2W
D2W HalfDork
8/29/18 9:41 a.m.

I have a friend that has one. It is a two owner all original with 16K miles. The other owner was his uncle who bought it new. Its an amazing time capsule. I don't know what your budget is, and we couldn't be much further away from each other in the continental US but if you are truly interested let me know.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
8/29/18 9:57 a.m.

BAT has another listed.  Totally restored 1965 model.  Bid currently $18,000.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan New Reader
8/29/18 1:36 p.m.

In reply to grover :

I'm far from an expert...but..maybe that's an imported truck?  The rear doors are from an earlier truck.  If the ambulance doors were rusted it was probably easier/cheaper to replace them with the split rear door (?).  The front blinkers are also different.  They're mounted to the side of the engine bay instead of the fenders.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/18 9:02 p.m.

Thanks guys for all the links and advise!

I've looked at a couple, one diesel. I think I wrote the diesels off as parts will be difficult to source and it is somewhat slower.

I have been looking down in Florida and the northeast as this would end up in Vermont and used in the summers to cruise the back roads, going up to Canada, etc.

I have been also checking both Dallas and Houston as there are quite a few of them there, but I kind of wrote the off as the logistics of getting one would make it difficult at the moment. This is one that I have been tempted by

Dallas FJ40

Strizzo, thanks for the offer. If I find something worth looking I might take you up on it and find way to make it worth your while.

Tomorrow I am looking at another one locally in south Florida:

South Florida FJ40

Next week I will try and check this one, which so far looks very close to what I am looking for:

Boston FJ40

What throws me off on the Boston one is the spare, looks like the guy built up a cool FJ but did not put any effort in getting a new spare tire ... sometimes those details scare me off a bit. Also the tailgate does not look like it can open, would want to source a factory one and paint it to match.

D2W said:

I have a friend that has one. It is a two owner all original with 16K miles. The other owner was his uncle who bought it new. Its an amazing time capsule. I don't know what your budget is, and we couldn't be much further away from each other in the continental US but if you are truly interested let me know.

Thanks for the offer, but I think this is too far away. It also sounds like it would be outside of my budget.

The plan as mentioned above is to find one, add a few things if they are missing and ship it up to Vt. I would want a stockish one and add bigger tires, winch, extra lights, soft top if it does not have it and some sort of roll bar if it does not have the stock one so that I can put a roof rack on it. I'd like to try and modify it in a way that can easily be put back to stock in case I want to sell it in a couple of years. The budget is not set in stone but I'd like to keep it under $40k all in.

Slippery
8/29/18 9:04 p.m.

BTW, I am on IH8mud ... this last week I have been reading and learning as much as I can about these.

I have also been looking at the ones on BAT. The one that just sold was too far away from me, but did look like a great starting point.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/29/18 9:30 p.m.

There are a few in and around Raleigh, NC.

Link to search, no 80s models, though

One is a diesel:

Strizzo
Strizzo PowerDork
8/29/18 10:23 p.m.

Houston cl, not actually in Houston, price seems decent

https://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/d/1973-toyota-fj40-land-cruiser/6683952826.html 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
8/30/18 5:11 a.m.

I'm just here for the pictures, I love these trucks.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
8/30/18 8:02 a.m.

Craigslist Birmingham Alabama

Rust free 15 year owner FS in Birmingham Al... $19,500 ask.  1977 model

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/30/18 1:25 p.m.

Can't help with an FJ40, but there is another thread about a sweet F40 for sale.wink

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
9/4/18 8:07 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

BAT has another listed.  Totally restored 1965 model.  Bid currently $18,000.

This one sold for $40,000 + 5% buyer fee on BaT today

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
9/20/18 8:54 p.m.

Talk about ultimate fj40, here's one that has been completely rebodied in aluminum panels, custom frame, Baja worthy suspension, and an LS6 power plant . Already at at about $85,000 on bring a trailer with one day left to go in the auction.

Slippery
9/20/18 9:03 p.m.

I have read all the posts and I am still looking. That one above is way over budget though. 

There is an FJ43 now that is interesting but I am not 100% sold on it. 

I have time as its too late to use it this year. I want to have it ready by next March so that I can ship it north and use it all summer. 

TexasNavy
TexasNavy New Reader
9/20/18 9:58 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

I have a 1978 I bought 5 years ago and love it. You said you wanted an 81, but that limits the pool a bit. Is there anything special about the 81 model year you want? In 1978 they went to front discs, stuck with the rear drums, so that was my criteria. 

Things to look for - corner "sheathing" hides rust, hard tops are removable and the norm, but if you get a hard top you can get a custom soft-top with bows for not an unreasonable amount of $$$ from Trollhole on mud, and every piece of it is replaceable. The popular conversion is a late 70s SBC into it, but if it still has the 3f it's also a great engine.

Overall, theses trucks are a beast, but they are basically a tractor, so dont look for super speed, quiet cabins, or fuel efficiency. But you won't regret getting one, ever....

Cheers,

Eric

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
9/20/18 10:05 p.m.

I know you said fj40, but how about a Mitsubishi Jeep? 

Slippery
9/20/18 10:14 p.m.

In reply to TexasNavy :

Eric,

I was originally looking for an '81 since I read they had better gearing, but have since opened up my search to anything with a 2F engine. Basically late 70's on. I drove a '79 about 3 weeks ago that came from Colombia and looked mint in pictures, they wanted $29k and it looked like it was worth it. Once I got within 10 ft of it I could tell it was a crappy makeover. Nice paint but it looked like there was bondo everywhere and it had details that really bothered me. For example, the body was all repainted as was the chassis, but the rubber mounts between the body and chassis were old and cracked and collapsed ... If you go to the trouble of removing the body, then that should be changed unless you like taking shortcuts.

I found quite a few that have had the heater removed. I want heat, so I looked on Ebay and it seems that all the parts can be found, might not be a deal breaker. I also saw another one that had a rear heater, the owner told me it was worthless ... not sure and I don't want it anyways.

I'll find the right one eventually.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
9/20/18 11:23 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

Talk about ultimate fj40, here's one that has been completely rebodied in aluminum panels, custom frame, Baja worthy suspension, and an LS6 power plant . Already at at about $85,000 on bring a trailer with one day left to go in the auction.

That just seems like a fetish object at that point. Plus, why bother "re-doing" a car like that when the frame and body are all new - just build a donor-less new car and register it as a self-built kit like a Locost.

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/21/18 12:13 a.m.

I missed the J in the title and got excited, but then I saw the J and got a different kind of excited.  Can someone please put a twin turbo small displacement v8 in an FJ?

TexasNavy
TexasNavy New Reader
9/21/18 8:20 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Rear heater cores are the hard part to replace. I had mine tested and it failed, and haven't been able to source a new one - but I haven't been trying that hard. The classifieds on ih8mud have all the heater equipment come up with a fair amount of regularity, and it's a really simple system. Keep in mind as well that swapping an F engine back into one that has been converted isn't super-hard either, depending on how the initial swap was done. I started to look into doing it for mine, but the previous owner had altered driveshafts when he did it so the costs started piling up. 

There is some shady business in the LC world these days with guys slapping new paint on an old truck and trying to sell it for big dollars, so you do have to watch out for that. The guys over at mud are pretty good at spotting the garbage though, and in their classifieds they have a whole sub-forum critiquing Craigslist and Ebay trucks. There are even some guys on there who will go look at one for you if it's local to them and give you their thoughts - worth thinking about. 

Some pics of mine because pictures are cool. I haven't touched the exterior since I bought it.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FymKc1llL4cwdZpgu627eo1s54HTU9be4calgCZKtD7pgIm77xC1oI7LErcWFnbA