1 2 3 4
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
12/24/18 1:29 p.m.

So I had an accident and someone totaled my Prowler. this is the basis of my discussions about ABS and traction control. Would not have helped here but driving around in a 20 year old chrysler that was designed in 1993 and assembled out of parts from a mini van was not my finest decision. 

As people know I have been simplifying my life a bit and before that I sold both the Miata's, my Cadillac and three cars that were in reserve for future builds. Leaving me with a Ford Lightning that is coming apart for a full 800hp TSV build. A Viper that should never be driven on the street and a 55 Thunderbird that. I got a hell of a check for the Prowler and with all the other cars being sold I have a bit of cash and a hole in the garage.

Down to a few options.

2011 V8 R8 Manual 18Kconvertible but its Porsche Brown. Like really brown. Brown top, brown interior, macadamia nut brown paint. 75K All Carbon options.

S Tronic 2014 Coupe.  18K miles. Much better daily but less fun.  All Carbon Options.

2012 V10 Spier with R Tronic at ~92-95K No Carbon. 11K miles, so clean you could eat off it.

Last option is least likely to happen. Trade in Viper, keep truck street legal and use as DD and use the same cash as above to buy LP640 Spyder in Verde.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/24/18 1:33 p.m.

I know you CAN buy any of these.

But, should you?

Me, personally, c6 z06 and slam the rest on the mortgage. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/24/18 1:34 p.m.

I think the R8 has a reputation as being far easier to live with on a daily basis than an LP640. And I think the triple brown R8 is awesome. I don't shop in this price range much; how hard would it be to resell the browntastic brown-ness later?

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
12/24/18 1:42 p.m.

Given that you've had something like 5 car ending accidents (maybe it just seems that way, sorry) and you commute through horrendous traffic my vote is Suburban so the next accident isn't your last.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
12/24/18 1:46 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I know you CAN buy any of these.

But, should you?

Me, personally, c6 z06 and slam the rest on the mortgage. 

No mortgage all gone. I do not like the Z06. I love the power hate the interior and stigma around it.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
12/24/18 1:47 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

Given that you've had something like 5 car ending accidents (maybe it just seems that way, sorry) and you commute through horrendous traffic my vote is Suburban so the next accident isn't your last.

I have had 4. All zero fault. San Diego is garbage for traffic i can tell you that.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/24/18 1:48 p.m.

Man, I hope you're ok!  You do seem to get into more car ending incidents than the average bear.  Given that you have a Viper and are building a hoonitruck, it seems like something comfy and larger may be the way to go.  Grand Cherokee SRT?  Or the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk if you never want to pass a gas station...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
12/24/18 1:49 p.m.
dculberson said:

how hard would it be to resell the browntastic brown-ness later?

I have no idea but I like the brown on brown. Its the same color as the 911 Turbos of the same year.

Dave M
Dave M Reader
12/24/18 2:23 p.m.

I was going to jump in with something snarky like, "based on the talk around here lately, a $10k Grand Caravan and a racecar", but heck, you suggested a brown car with a gated manual. Why even bother asking? We're all going to tell you to get that one! Do it!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/24/18 2:34 p.m.

Honestly, I really like the brown R8.  It's different. But I've had a thing for metallic brown cars lately.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/18 2:37 p.m.

Brown. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
12/24/18 2:44 p.m.

Brown it is. That was well and above my first choice just was waffling over color.

Thanks guys.

Sent them the credit app and will wire the deposit tonight. We had a good price in mind and they sell cars on BAT with a good rating so I feel at least a little bit protected.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/18 3:22 p.m.

I love the brown R8.  Sorry to hear about the Prowler though, they look like such fun cars. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/24/18 3:25 p.m.

Brown cars must be coming back in vogue, I think I've seen more of them in the last few months than I have since the 1970s.

I was going to vote for that one anyway, it's a nice change from all the white and silver cars on the road.  Plus, it's a stick.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/18 3:26 p.m.

Always pick the metallic brown car. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/24/18 3:33 p.m.

I dislike convertibles..  I don't know why, but I owned jeeps for years and now I just can't stand them..  So.. whatever car isn't a convertible.

If I was in your tax bracket and needed a daily it would be a vanquish..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Vanquish-2dr-Coupe/233060205308?hash=item36437882fc:g:o8QAAOSwJFBcHOCT:rk:20:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Dave M
Dave M Reader
12/24/18 4:36 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Brown it is. That was well and above my first choice just was waffling over color.

Thanks guys.

Sent them the credit app and will wire the deposit tonight. We had a good price in mind and they sell cars on BAT with a good rating so I feel at least a little bit protected.

Congrats!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/24/18 5:50 p.m.

This

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
12/24/18 6:01 p.m.

Have you *driven* the R8? 

Having spent a weekend with one, I decided it was a GREAT $30,000 car...and that was before the berkeleying thing started screaming at me that the bonnet was open (it wasn’t) and the tires were flat (they weren’t) and eventually had to be towed because it wouldn’t recognize the berkeleying fob.

Looks dead sexy. Sounds EVIL. Aside from that, I don’t have a single nice thing to say, and there’s NFW I’d buy one, or could see living with it daily.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/24/18 6:07 p.m.
yupididit said:

This

Ufff, you have me reconsidering my fleet. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
12/24/18 7:29 p.m.
rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/24/18 8:50 p.m.

Miata!

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
12/24/18 8:56 p.m.

I’d go with the LP640.  I had eyed a Murci at one point,  then ended up buying two other cars instead.  Still would like to have one eventually. 

Of course I like Yupididit’s suggestion too!

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
12/24/18 10:28 p.m.

Ya’ll must just hate nice cars.  Microbe is just gonna kill whatever he gets, poor cars......

I say again.  Suburban.  Stay alive a while longer.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/24/18 11:36 p.m.

If were shopping this price point I’d go 997 GT3.  It’ll spend far less downtime or shop time than the R8 or LP640.  You could also hunt down a 996 GT2 for that price.  

I have a lowly 996 C2 and now a 986 S.  If I had the cash GT3 all the way.  

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
plzegnEfWApUhW06AyoLh22Eo0xzQXCfHBWCEcSHRd9vMSwglMZ2foJSOxtXQ7mb