1 2 3 4
Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
12/31/18 2:53 p.m.

I'd be tempted to try a Cayman/Boxster S/GTS before making a purchase decision. Are the bigger, flashier cars actually better?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
1/6/19 5:59 p.m.

Looked at another car this weekend. Another car with issues. While I was around it I found the cleanest 01 F360 coupe I have ever seen in my life. 41K miles and it looks like it has 5K. Black on black on PVD black wheels. ITs amazing. not practical or cheap but just fantastic.

I am looking down market now and a bit newer. GT350 or a Cayman or a base 911 or 911s. There are more out there and well they are newer and should be cleaner. Starting to think that the R8 got too cheap and did not have the ownership like a modern Ferrari so they got used up quicker.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
1/6/19 6:56 p.m.

Gt350 would be awesome 

R?

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy Reader
1/7/19 10:27 a.m.

Alfa Romeo sedan

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
1/7/19 10:29 a.m.

If GT350 is your list, you should also look at ZL1/ ZL1 1LE...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
1/7/19 7:58 p.m.
Rodan said:

If GT350 is your list, you should also look at ZL1/ ZL1 1LE...

There is a Z28 that a friend has that he wants sub 40K for that I would love but do not fit easily in it. It does hav ethe stereo and AC at least.

So the dealership posted the loan to the bank and I got a call today asking if I was going to setup automatic payments. So they have paperwork that I bought the car and put 30K down. I did not put any money down and I did not sign any DMV documents so this is going to get interesting. Maybe I own it without the 30K deposit and only the bank loan. I could deal with that.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
1/7/19 8:05 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

I thought you said you had sent a deposit on it?  Did you get that back?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
1/7/19 9:02 p.m.
Cotton said:

I thought you said you had sent a deposit on it?  Did you get that back?

Took a cashiers check with me as they did not want the wire. Took the check back with me and put it back. It’s been sitting in my account so it’s not missing. 

They were shady as berkeley when I was there would not put it past them to try and get the loan funded . 

Dave M
Dave M Reader
1/7/19 9:09 p.m.

Z28 for the track, yes. For the street, no way! GT350 seems like the perfect combo of looks normal, sounds great and is easy to live with. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
1/7/19 9:23 p.m.

Man,  how aggravating.  Dealers like that really kill the car buying experience for me.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/7/19 9:37 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

I know this car but its at the top of my budget if I have it shipped and after this I would have to have someone put eyes on it personally.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automobiles-sale/427535-sale-2011-audi-r8-v10-5-2-gated-manual-6spd-under-warranty.html

I like it. Same color as my very first car 47 years ago: a 1960 Morris Minor.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
1/7/19 9:50 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

There is a Z28 that a friend has that he wants sub 40K for that I would love but do not fit easily in it. It does hav ethe stereo and AC at least.

In my perception, the interior on the 6th gen Camaro is much better, but I'm not sure if roomier.  It's also the Alpha chassis, so improved over the Zeta.  IMHO just as capable on track as the GT350/R, but more livable as a commuter.  And ZL1 is available in a drop top... wink

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
1/21/19 12:27 p.m.

Offer out on another 911 Turbo. Price is agreed to just need the inspection back in a few days. 2004 996 Turbo with all the bells and whistles.  32K miles one owner. All the comfortable stuff like the adjustable seats. Need diverter valves I know that but the ownership history is clean but I will have someone put eyes on the car for me. 

Its a boring gray on black  but it should blend in here pretty well and I can always wrap it Mexico blue or something crazy. I looked at two more R8's both had minor to medium issues but were priced right for them. Not worth the effort to deal with. This is 1/2 the cost of what I was spending on the R8. 

Will get the full bar tune, upgraded plugs and diverter valves at a minimum then a bit of stereo upgrade. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/19 12:35 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

So the dealership posted the loan to the bank and I got a call today asking if I was going to setup automatic payments. So they have paperwork that I bought the car and put 30K down. I did not put any money down and I did not sign any DMV documents so this is going to get interesting. Maybe I own it without the 30K deposit and only the bank loan. I could deal with that.

or maybe the dealership rolled the missing $30k deposit into the loan they posted to the bank?  my mama says shady is as shady does.

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
1/21/19 12:51 p.m.

Sorry to drag you through the debris on the brown R8, but can I ask you to elaborate a little more on your experience and how you found all the red flags?  The pictures looked pretty good.  Was the front/side damage visible in person?  Or found during an inspection?  Do you have a body guy that you bring or take the cars to and match VIN tags and all that?

As someone hoping to go through a similar purchase (minus the drama) on either a V12 Vantage or maybe a McLaren in the next 1-3 years, the thought of potentially having huge repair bills day 1 or losing so much value on resale by missing undisclosed issues gives me minor heartburn.  

chaparral
chaparral Dork
1/21/19 1:01 p.m.

TVR Griffith? Hitting the 25-year-rule now!

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
1/21/19 3:31 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Offer out on another 911 Turbo. Price is agreed to just need the inspection back in a few days. 2004 996 Turbo with all the bells and whistles.  32K miles one owner. All the comfortable stuff like the adjustable seats. Need diverter valves I know that but the ownership history is clean but I will have someone put eyes on the car for me. 

Its a boring gray on black  but it should blend in here pretty well and I can always wrap it Mexico blue or something crazy. I looked at two more R8's both had minor to medium issues but were priced right for them. Not worth the effort to deal with. This is 1/2 the cost of what I was spending on the R8. 

Will get the full bar tune, upgraded plugs and diverter valves at a minimum then a bit of stereo upgrade. 

What makes you think it needs divertor valves?  They typically don't go bad, mine are fine even with my tune.  For tunes, By Design or Ultimate Motorwerks are the way to go.  I went with Kevin@UMW as he has direct experience tuning at altitude.  Sam@By Design is based out of LA I think, so fairly close to you.

An exhaust really wakes up the car, I went with a 3" X pipe by Soul Performance.  Huge difference! 

I'd do the 997 coil packs along with spark plugs, I have them sitting on my work bench right now waiting for me to install them.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones None
3/5/19 4:51 p.m.

This thread popped up on BAT because of issues with the car.  Can anyone clarify if this car actually has those issues?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-audi-r8-9/

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/7/19 8:09 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

I happened to see the listing on BaT and it reminded me of this thread.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gCAIe4IqXlwV7L57FmO9itfsrgInCRYNUF9TZHZS2thNAmcqIaDgg7uyRjea7Fc0