1 2 3
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/14 1:05 p.m.

..from a really crappy photo.

EDIT: Scroll down for new photos.

I just bought a pair of vintage laydown enduro kart frames from a friend. I haven't taken possession of them yet, but the cash has been exchanged and I'll be getting them on Monday. They have magnesium wheels, butterfly steering with wood grips, and engine mounts on opposite sides.

Here's a year old photo. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

photo Kart_zps8a81c12d.jpg

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/6/14 1:34 p.m.

Yup looks like a kart

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/6/14 1:40 p.m.

Possibly Invader chassis. Its the only one I remember from the mid '80's that had mag wheels but that was a long time ago.
Any motors? I bet those old karts ran McCulloch motors!

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/6/14 2:09 p.m.

In reply to fornetti14:

I raced karts extensively in the 80's, although they were sprint karts, not enduros. But I don't remember any kart from the 80's running mag wheels. They were pretty much phased out in the 70's.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
6/6/14 2:10 p.m.

Fox? I raced karts starting in 1970 and my first kart was a Dart chassis with a McCulloch 101 motor. From what I can see this appears to be a 60's vintage but I left a lot of things in the fog back there.

pirate
pirate Reader
6/6/14 2:12 p.m.

I see it still has the pegs sticking out from the frame for the gas tanks that mount on the sides in between the front and rear wheels. Do you have the tanks? I had a Rupp laydown with twin McCulloch's I raced in the late 60's early 70's in B Production if I remember correctly. Great fun but those karts were very primitive compared to todays Karts.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/6/14 2:12 p.m.

My first new Zip chassis (1984 ish) had mag wheels, but I don't think they made enduro karts.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/6/14 2:26 p.m.
fornetti14 wrote: My first new Zip chassis (1984 ish) had mag wheels, but I don't think they made enduro karts.

I've never heard of a Zip brand kart before you mentioned it. Not a brand that was used in the circles I raced in. So that would explain why I never saw one with mag wheels, eh?

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
6/6/14 2:34 p.m.

Nice catch on the side pegs, didn't notice those. Lay out still looks like a sprint kart to me, Enduros usually had a "front porch"?

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
6/6/14 2:45 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Steering looks kinda high for a laydown? tough perspective. The one in the back looks like an Enduro, or a Sprint with a belly tank.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
6/6/14 2:50 p.m.

In reply to Woody: Nice score, More,better pictures in your build thread pleez? (Hint,Hint)

Woody
6/6/14 2:55 p.m.

I'm pretty sure they are mid 60s. I haven't actually seen them in a year. I'm getting at least one, and maybe three, aluminum side tanks.

Woody
6/9/14 12:30 p.m.

I'm going to pick these up in the rain at 3:00 today. This is not even my worst idea of the week.

More on that tomorrow..

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
6/9/14 12:37 p.m.

Waiting...

Woody
6/9/14 2:56 p.m.

Annnnnnnnd...now they're home.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/9/14 3:04 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Annnnnnnnd what are you going to do with them????

Woody
6/9/14 3:17 p.m.

Annnnnnd....I don't know yet.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
6/9/14 3:32 p.m.

the forum on ekartingnew.com is great for stuff like this

Woody
6/9/14 3:32 p.m.

I'm still trying to figure out who made these and how old they are. I'm guessing that they are early to mid-60s. They appear to be made by the same manufacturer, but one is for running clockwise and the other is for going counterclockwise. They are mirror images of each other, with one having an engine mount on the left and the other on the right. Both are offset.

photo RaceKarts041_zps1a257ce3.jpg

photo RaceKarts037_zps82bc4da9.jpg

photo RaceKarts038_zpse03ffb39.jpg

photo RaceKarts034_zps103e6aeb.jpg

photo RaceKarts032_zps459f4f5d.jpg

photo RaceKarts028_zps7f95b9ff.jpg

photo RaceKarts029_zpsae5bd14e.jpg

photo RaceKarts035_zps1f9bc13a.jpg

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
6/9/14 4:26 p.m.

The Red one looks very similar to a Red Devil enduro kart I used to race. I don"t remember an offset though. Slap a Harbor freight motor on the red one and tear up an empty parking lot.

Woody
6/9/14 4:52 p.m.

I have a running 5hp Briggs out in my barn that I can use just for kicks.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/9/14 6:59 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

You'll get bored with that briggs real fast. What you need is the Yamaha 400 I have sitting in my shop...

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
6/9/14 7:21 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace: Would that need a tuned exhaust? Is the carb cut for gas and oil or alcohol?

Woody
6/9/14 7:23 p.m.

I've actually been thinking about the engine from a Honda ATC 200S, with its five speed transmission and automatic clutch.

Woody
6/9/14 9:09 p.m.

So far, all I've been able to determine is that the red one has Margay hubs, but they were available over the counter, too. It does look a little like a Margay Sidewinder, though I'm not sure that they were offered with an offset.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5zVNFzQYTk5wYZjqcgQlqt6nDvbd24bY9SxVKhlRIVti7oOQMz7imsvulO1zU9IZ