I cleaned them up a bit.

photo Stool009_zps408b127c.jpg

photo Stool012_zps2285e598.jpg

photo June102014034_zpsb359a473.jpg

photo June102014033_zps09d04522.jpg

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
6/10/14 4:11 p.m.

So whats next? Build an adapter plate for the biggest Harbor freight "not a honda" motor that will fit on them?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/14 5:21 p.m.

No real plan yet, but no Harbor Freight engines either.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/10/14 5:59 p.m.

A friend of ours is into vintage karts. I asked him to check out this thread.

Woody
6/10/14 7:28 p.m.

Thanks, David!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
6/11/14 12:17 a.m.

Man those are awesome! Is it weird that I like these almost as much as the Porsches in your garage? Build thread or you are banned!

chrispy
chrispy Reader
6/11/14 7:22 a.m.

Maybe post pics on ekartingnews.com, Bobs 4cycle.com, or diygokarts.com. That offset seems unusual, especially if the karts are mirror image. FWIW, our autox club has a Spec Harbor Freight kart class for adults and kids and those Predator 212s have been good enough for FTD. I just put a hemi head 212 on my kart and its a remarkable difference over the purpose-built kart racing engine I had.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
6/11/14 7:43 a.m.
chrispy wrote: our autox club has a Spec Harbor Freight kart class for adults and kids

That's AWESOME!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/11/14 8:07 a.m.

Driven Oil's Lake Speed Jr. races vintage karts. He says:

Those look like late 60's early 70's Rupp or Dart karts. The best plan is to post the pictures to the message board at http://vkakarting.com.

He says that site will help you out.

Woody
6/11/14 8:13 a.m.

Thanks. The toughest part of identifying these is that every old kart photo that I find shows them with the side mounted tanks in place, so you can't get a good look at the frame design.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
6/11/14 11:01 a.m.

http://margay.com/vintage/vintage-ads.html

If you go to the Enduro vintage add, it looks like a Margay. The wheels also look like Margays. They also have a section on the steering geometry

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
6/11/14 11:02 a.m.

Tanks weren't in the deal? Mr. Speed has several Karting championships among his accomplishments! EDIT: Lake Speed Sr. was IKF champion , sorry.

Woody
6/11/14 11:03 a.m.

I only got one tank. I'll take a photo.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
6/11/14 11:48 a.m.

VKA site has 2 Komet k 88 engines for sale, posted April 27th. Strap both of em on

twolittlebroncos
twolittlebroncos Reader
6/11/14 12:22 p.m.

Try also vintagekarts.com for identification. Good bunch of guys, but don't tell them about your 4-stroke plans or you'll get run off pretty quickly.

Woody
6/11/14 12:32 p.m.

I've wanted to build an autocross kart for years and that was my plan, but if these things turn out to be something special, I'd hate to chop them up.

Woody
6/11/14 12:33 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote: http://margay.com/vintage/vintage-ads.html If you go to the Enduro vintage add, it looks like a Margay. The wheels also look like Margays. They also have a section on the steering geometry

I was reading that yesterday. One kart has Margay hubs and wheels, but those were available over the counter.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/11/14 3:39 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: In reply to bravenrace: Would that need a tuned exhaust? Is the carb cut for gas and oil or alcohol?

Its a 400cc motorcycle engine.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/11/14 3:46 p.m.
Woody wrote: I've wanted to build an autocross kart for years and that was my plan, but if these things turn out to be something special, I'd hate to chop them up.

You'll never be able to autocross an enduro kart, not without either being slow or causing serious conage. I've autocrossed a shifter kart, and even at that level you have no perspective on the cones, which makes it much more difficult than a car. I can't imagine even trying to do it well with a lay-down kart. If you still want to, make sure to check into it before investing in the karts to make sure they would be legal. SCCA classes are very specific and wouldn't allow something like that, or at least didn't a couple years ago when we stopped running sprint karts.

maj75
maj75 Reader
6/12/14 7:54 a.m.

IIRC the Enduro carts had front disc brakes. These seem to have no provision for front brakes.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/12/14 8:47 a.m.

In reply to maj75:

Are there any lay down karts that aren't considered enduro karts?

Woody
6/12/14 4:39 p.m.

I've autocrossed a laydown before, but not with SCCA.

Woody
6/12/14 5:08 p.m.

Well...this is interesting:

Not mine, etc...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Go-Kart-Butterfly-Steering-Wheel-/181250567552?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a33602d80

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
6/12/14 6:26 p.m.

Very cool!

Way back, I used to have this insane home built kart that had an 8hp Tecumseh snowblower engine on it. It MOVED. It also had a decal of a cheetah with a Rambo knife in its mouth. It was so effing tough. I want that decal on the hood of a car. I wish I had pics.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D34kvx4HOPJFBUyZqt7E9An92nttxCMK7V0jmAEszyt48FXc1MypoHrlEInEzIvB