1 2 3
TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
6/12/14 7:54 p.m.

I got to the shop today to look at the old Red Devil kart and it looks very similar to the red one in your photos. The frame is offset but not as much as yours? Got some cell phone pictures but I don't know how to convert them to post. The frame I have has a "front porch" in front of the steering assembly tnat has the pedals mounted on it. Are there any tech inspection stickers on those frames Woody?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/14 8:42 p.m.

No tech inspection stickers.

I did find a very cool, near perfect foil decal on one of the magnesium wheels though. It says "Precision Wheel Inc. Grand Rapids MI". I'll try to get a photo of that.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
6/12/14 9:04 p.m.

You can unbolt Margay wheels and buy a deeper dish to run 6" slicks, some of the dual engine open classes had wide slicks and 4 wheel disc brakes.

Woody
6/12/14 10:28 p.m.

Here's another view before I cleaned it up.

photo RaceKarts035_zps1f9bc13a.jpg

Woody
6/13/14 7:02 p.m.

When I power washed them, this little quarter sized, forty-something year old, perfect foil decal came floating off of one of the magnesium wheels. It may be the coolest part of the whole deal!

photo KartDecal010_zps9903be38.jpg

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
6/14/14 12:11 a.m.
Woody wrote: Well...this is interesting: Not mine, etc... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Go-Kart-Butterfly-Steering-Wheel-/181250567552?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a33602d80

$500?!?!?! I think a yard kart with a HF motor on it is the only kart in the works for me...

maj75
maj75 Reader
6/14/14 12:35 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: You can unbolt Margay wheels and buy a deeper dish to run 6" slicks, some of the dual engine open classes had wide slicks and 4 wheel disc brakes.

If you spend a little time on the vintage kart sites, you will find that this is a huge mistake. These frames were designed to drift, not stick. Wide sticky tires make these karts undrivable, at least when driving at the limit.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
6/14/14 7:07 p.m.
maj75 wrote:
TRoglodyte wrote: You can unbolt Margay wheels and buy a deeper dish to run 6" slicks, some of the dual engine open classes had wide slicks and 4 wheel disc brakes.
If you spend a little time on the vintage kart sites, you will find that this is a huge mistake. These frames were designed to drift, not stick. Wide sticky tires make these karts undrivable, at least when driving at the limit.

Good point, unlike a modern kart that flexes to a point of slightly lifting a rear tire in corners(effectively negating the need for a diff), these old carts have some structure to them. Trying to make it stick down would make it a snappy nasty beast of a thing to drive and not in a good way.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
6/15/14 1:22 p.m.

The wider tires were used on dual engine karts in the rear for traction. I once saw a C Open kart at Avon NY smoking the rear tires when he pulled out of the hairpin.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
6/16/14 12:25 p.m.

Sell the pair to a vintage kart fetishist and use the proceeds to buy a much better but utterly worthless early 2000s kart roller.

Woody
6/16/14 4:05 p.m.
motomoron wrote: Sell the pair to a vintage kart fetishist and use the proceeds to buy a much better but utterly worthless early 2000s kart roller.

That idea is beginning to appeal to me. I'm starting to think that I may not be the best caretaker for these things.

Woody
6/22/14 7:42 a.m.

I'm pretty sure that they are 1968 Red Devils.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/22/14 11:36 a.m.

Seems like having your knees in your field of vision might not help lap times?

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
6/22/14 2:42 p.m.

Genesee valley (NY) kart club has some videos on you tube. My red devil has wider tanks but I am not sure what year model it is.

Woody
6/25/14 12:47 p.m.

I think these are going to find their way to eBay soon. I've got another project idea that has jumped to the front burner.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
6/29/14 10:56 p.m.

That looks like a really uncomfortable way to drive a go kart...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/30/14 12:10 a.m.

I predict that they will sell for stoopid moneys. Vintage kart guys make Porsche weirdos seen tame.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hZCNnYn8kHnYhApu8wnA3OEzKWLYJ5zF8ZWekt6kjGywWlmOW8ADcPU4Z2NVrlgl