Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/17/20 11:59 p.m.

The PO had some pinstripes added to the side of my car-painted on. They're done well, but I haven't been able to convince myself to like them. Just not my style I guess. Is there a safe way to remove them myself or am I better off going to a body shop for a paint correction? 

You can kind of see the the stripes here. Sorry for the E36 M3ty picture. I don't have many pictures of the car on my phone

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/18/20 12:17 a.m.

Are they real paint, or a pin stripe decal? If they are a deal one of the 3M wheels should get it off without paint damage: Linky

Turbine
8/18/20 12:22 a.m.

They're real paint, unfortunately

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
8/18/20 7:10 a.m.

Nothing to add but I really like your wheels.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/20 8:10 a.m.

Masking tape down both edges and wetsand with 2000 till they disappear, polish the whole car?

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/18/20 8:56 p.m.

I did get painted pinstripes off of a replacement mirror using rubbing compound and elbow grease. Much less real estate than you but not super difficult. I vaguely remember wrapping a wet towel around thick end of a chopstick to do the job. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/18/20 10:28 p.m.
boxedfox (Forum Supporter)
boxedfox (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/18/20 11:09 p.m.

This could be tricky. It's either going to be wet sanding with 3M Trizact or lots of time with rubbing compound. There's a very good chance that you will have to clear over it afterwards to make it consistent with the rest of the car.

mejamakan
mejamakan None
8/18/20 11:24 p.m.

In reply to GTwannaB :

thanks for sharing

very usefull for me

mebel jepara

Turbine
8/18/20 11:37 p.m.

Sounds like I've got a few options at least. I'll give the elbow grease rubbing compound method a shot first on one of the smaller areas. 

Wetsanding makes me a little nervous since I've never really done any paint/bodywork before. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LGzbxqsaezpJ4v42KodPWjn2U8FqvzZvyuYQgoVn58FWfOHKtQeXVvCtnBM4qc1B