bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/14 10:24 p.m.

I would appreciate the collective's input helping me choose.

Vehicle: 86 325e turbo (inline 6) set up for rallycross

pertinents:

• Batch/Bank is fine, doesn't have to be sequential

• high imp injectors

• ls2/truck CNP coils (includes igniters)in wasted spark

• 60-2 crank wheel

• 2-wire pwm idle control

• e-fan w/ 2 spd relay

wants, but likely not for initial install: boost control w/ saab ebc unit, knock sensor boost/timing retard, ac fan control?

The ms2/v3.0 diy combo is cheaper ($280 vs. $340), and maybe more flexible? The microsquirt seems faster setup which matters a lot since I have a month to get it up and running for the next event. I also can potentially see myself using the micro for a motorcycle setup in the not to distant future. I have an old ms1/v2.2 that I started to mod for controlling an lsx 4.8 truck motor but the time it would take to pick it back up and get it built up seems too much, especially for the oldest and least refined of current ms offerings. I've also not yet completed an ms setup and bought the ms1 already assembled years ago.

I also wanted to do logging and tuning w/ my windows tablet over bluetooth but haven't seen a microsquirt setup w/ that yet. I'm sure I could figure it out but it is a consideration.

I miss anything? Which would you go with? I haven't found any 6 cylinder examples of microsquirt yet, though have seen the lsx 8 cyl setups.

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
7/15/14 11:11 p.m.

You need to use a MSv2.2! Like this one

A complete MS v2.2 with fly back board. Lightly used MS1-Extra HEI module and Bluetooth power mod. Willing to trade for an unassembled MS v3. or the cash for one.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
7/16/14 8:03 a.m.

While the MicroSquirt can run a six cylinder in wasted spark - see the new MS2/Extra MicroSquirt guide for how - the amount of I/O you're planning to use in the future is more than you can get out of a MicroSquirt. I'm going to say MS2 would be a better call here.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
7/16/14 8:07 a.m.

Given the short lifespan of the MicroSquirts we ran on our FSAE cars when used on rough surfaces, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's not the ideal choice for a rallycross car.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/16/14 8:15 a.m.

Ms2 v3 running the latest version of extra and poney up for the paid version of tunerstudio.

Best bang for the money in my book. Will do everything you want. More flexable than the micro squirt and cheaper than microsquirt.

You may want to see if there is a PIP version for that car. Yes it is more money but your timeline is short and you are going to want as much of it for tuning as possible.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
7/16/14 8:21 a.m.

I'd love to here more about the short lived microsquirts in FSAE. Mine has been very reliable and I can't see an FSAE car being much rougher on it than mine.

I think with your short time line and all your IO a full megasquirt pnp is the way to go.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
7/16/14 8:24 a.m.

In reply to icaneat50eggs:

Our cars only had suspension because the rules required it, and even then it didn't really move. That + a thumper with solid motor mounts led to heavier components (coil drivers) separating themselves from the board.

bluej
7/16/14 8:26 a.m.

Thanks Matt (and Johnny)!

Chris, that's interesting, I had kinda figured the micro would be more durable, not less. What version were they? The latest (v3) with surface mount?

NONACK
NONACK Reader
7/16/14 8:30 a.m.

I believe they were v2, the plug was at the end of the housing and the board was not incredibly secure- the v3 looks like an improvement, but I'd have to see the innards to make an educated guess.

bluej
7/16/14 8:35 a.m.

The PNP was strongly considered, but with my car being an "eta" it has a 35 pin Bosch connector, not the 55. I would also have to mod it for the ls2 style cnp ignition. It was also my understanding that the latest non-diy PNP's were based on the micro-module anyways.

bluej
7/16/14 8:37 a.m.
NONACK wrote: I believe they were v2, the plug was at the end of the housing and the board was not incredibly secure- the v3 looks like an improvement, but I'd have to see the innards to make an educated guess.

Take a look at the microsquirt module.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
7/16/14 8:40 a.m.

Definitely looks like an improvement, ours had some tall components with narrow bases hanging off the board.

MadScientistMatt
7/16/14 9:44 a.m.

V3.0s do not have the coil drivers / heat sink setup in the V1.0 and V2.0s. Everything is surface mount except the AMPSEAL connector itself.

bluej
7/16/14 10:51 a.m.

Matt, is the assembled microsquirt essentially the module + ampseal header/connector + case?

I'm wondering if I could roll w/ the microsquirt for now to get up and running faster, and then add an extra board for ebc/knock/etc later.

MadScientistMatt
7/16/14 12:25 p.m.

The latest MicroSquirt has an updated VR conditioner that isn't on the Module, and the headers are different. But they're a similar idea.

bluej
7/16/14 12:41 p.m.

Is that VR conditioner included on the DIYPNP main board?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the info. Matt, Email coming your way.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IeF1GFK1AMT0R5ufncoJQBHgdALno0lcTRzWEBCRA6rGu7XSWpWFb7PiTKKN76C5