1 2 3 ... 5
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/17 4:00 p.m.

As mentioned in a post in my long running 996 saga, the 996 is getting totaled. Obviously, the thoughts are turning towards a replacement and that's where hive input would be great.

I'm currently ruling out another 996 C4 simply because I'm currently not in the financial position to absorb another engine refresh and the one I would want to avoid an engine refresh (996TT) is way out of my price range even with the Tiptronic. Somehow they went up something like $15k+ since I had bought my 996.

Also, if I buy a replacement for the 996, it will have to be AWD - we can reserve some space for the inevitable discussion about that, but let's just assume that it's for my convenience so I don't have to deal with CHP stopping me when chain controls are in force. With AWD and snow tires, I can just drive on after uttering the magic words: "AWD with snow tires".

So for argument's sake, let's assume I have about $15k to play with - maybe $20k if I manage to sell the RX8. Oh, and I don't like Subarus (why not be difficult, 'cos they're the easy button up here?) and I'm not a big fan of AWD E46en either.

So, do I:

1. Pay off the note on the ND and buy a $4k beater-ish SUV that I'll hate driving for about 90% of the time? Bonus - paid off ND, but I blew the money for the turbo kit on the SUV. Also, the SUV can't be too beater-ish as I need to be able to show up at client sites in it. Not to mention that it'd probably say "Land Rover" on it because we have a good LR mechanic and these are the SUVs of my least dislike. After the accident I'm not too keen on driving the ND on work-related Bay Area trips.

2. Spend some of the cash on my wife's 500SL lawn ornament so we have a functioning backup car with a slushbox for her (which is probably on the cards anyway), buy an enclosed trailer for the FST and buy a cheapish but presentable Mazdaspeed 6, Passat W8 or maybe an early 2000s Audi S6 Avant (the one with the 4.2L). Bank the rest of the cash for when the beater blows up. Downsides - the Passat and the Audi are going to be Porsche money when they explode in spectacular fashion, the Mazdaspeed 6 is more expensive and pretty hard to find. But I have a bit of time as I don't really need one until about September.

3. Blow caution into the wind and buy the least molested Evo 8 I can find for $20k. I'll have to check the ergonomics as the Evo X ones don't agree with me, but I used to have an Evo II and that worked OK for me. And I like Evos.

4. I don't think I'm daft enough to drive an R32 GTR as a daily, even if I could find someone to insure me to daily one.

5. Real left field - buy an R53 for beater, non-E36 M3-weather use ($6k), get a better truck for towing and 4x4 snow duty ($4k + however much I can get for my F150), enclosed trailer for the FST ($3k-ish) and spend the rest of the money (all $2k of it..) on the 500SL.

6. Buy a lifted brodozer to roll coal and learn how to put on the baseball cap the wrong way around. Err, probably not. But let's put it on here for completeness' sake.

7. Buy a Bentley Turbo R and declare bankruptcy within 6 months. But at least it'd be in style. Plus they're not AWD.

At the moment 3 & 2 are the front runners. 3 has the added advantage that I could use the Evo for the occasional HPDE, thus negating the need for the RX8.

What say the hive?

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/14/17 4:06 p.m.

UrQuattro? :)

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/17 4:09 p.m.

Most of your options sound like they'll follow in the footsteps of the 996 toward pain and financial ruin. Any reason not to chose something a bit more practical?

Edit: Spend $10k on a used GM SUV(or truck) to tow the enclosed trailer you can buy with the other $10k, and possibly have change leftover for tires/spares for the racecar?

BoxheadTim
6/14/17 4:10 p.m.

In reply to codrus:

Only if I add an additional lottery win ;). Aren't those $50k+ cars these days?

BoxheadTim
6/14/17 4:12 p.m.
Pete Gossett wrote: Most of your options sound like they'll follow in the footsteps of the 996 toward pain and financial ruin. Any reason not to chose something a bit more practical?

You mean, other than I'm a special kind of stupid?

The Mazdaspeed 6 is probably the most "normal" choice, though. If there's another sporty four seater, non-SUV that is offered with AWD, I'd be all ears. I think that's the real question - what vehicles have I overlooked?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
6/14/17 4:16 p.m.

Evo 8 or a CLEAN STI at 20K would be my option. Good luck finding them though.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/14/17 4:18 p.m.

I was just going to say speed 6 and pay down/off the ND with the change. The other option would be a g35/37X or an FX35.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
6/14/17 4:18 p.m.

What about an Audi S5?

RIP 996

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/14/17 4:22 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote:
Pete Gossett wrote: Most of your options sound like they'll follow in the footsteps of the 996 toward pain and financial ruin. Any reason not to chose something a bit more practical?
You mean, other than I'm a special kind of stupid? The Mazdaspeed 6 is probably the most "normal" choice, though. If there's another sporty four seater, non-SUV that is offered with AWD, I'd be all ears. I think that's the real question - what vehicles have I overlooked?

I think the UrQuattro prices depend heavily on which car it is. Certainly some of them are stratospheric, but I think there are some others that are more reasonable? I dunno, I haven't looked at it closely.

That said, there are a lot of sporty, 4-seater, AWD Audis out there other than just the C5 S6 you mentioned. B5 S4, B6/B7 S4 (if you can tolerate the internet hype about the timing chain tensioners), S5s, S3s (which is Haldex, but still satisfies the snow chain requirement), etc.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/14/17 4:25 p.m.

3 If only because I want to live vicariously through you.

(Woah, its red!)

docwyte
docwyte Dork
6/14/17 4:38 p.m.

To be fair, you had an unusual experience with the 996 needing an engine refresh. Most don't require that. IMS/RMS yes, motor refresh, no.

I'd stay away from an old Audi. They're needy and usually neglected, so immediately cost you a lot of money to fix the previous owners issues.

I'd go B8 S4 with the DSG. That 3 liter supercharged motor is a gem, very strong and snappy and gets great gas mileage. DSG solves the wife driving issue...

Or like said above, get a good GM truck/tow vehicle, buy a trailer and get the 500SL working.

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
6/14/17 4:56 p.m.

Spare yourself the SUV/Audi pain and buy this so I don't have to: ebay v70R

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
6/14/17 5:01 p.m.

Didn't you have an EVO before and find it to stuff for a back injury or something? Remembering it fondly though.... I understand that

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/14/17 5:10 p.m.

This is a bit out of left field, but what about one of the newer Taurus SHOs or a Fusion SHO? 300+ HP for either (365 for the Taurus), both are AWD, and I was finding plenty of Taurus' up in the PNW (where I live) with under $15K and with less than 60K miles.....

mck1117
mck1117 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/14/17 5:13 p.m.

If only you could wait a bit and get the Fusion Sport. 2.7L twin turbo. 325hp, 380lbft, AWD.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
6/14/17 5:44 p.m.

Definitely the Bentley Turbo R.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/14/17 5:45 p.m.

Galant VR4? Like an evo but more rare and probably less reliable

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/17 5:46 p.m.

Try to find a Panamera 4 with 100k miles on it.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/14/17 5:47 p.m.

8) Get a already tastefully modified DSM awd for 5-10k. Spend another 5k on making it yours.

BoxheadTim
6/14/17 6:12 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: Didn't you have an EVO before and find it to stuff for a back injury or something? Remembering it fondly though.... I understand that

That was an Evo X, and that didn't agree with my arthritic knees. The 8&9 have a completely different bodystyle and may be a better fit.

mck1117 wrote: If only you could wait a bit and get the Fusion Sport. 2.7L twin turbo. 325hp, 380lbft, AWD.

Unfortunately that one is about $15k over budget at the very minimum. The Taurus SHO might be interesting, may have to look into that.

thatsnowinnebago wrote: Galant VR4? Like an evo but more rare and probably less reliable

Not to mention that they seem to approach Evos in prices. There's one for sale not too far from here, $7500 with a duff motor...

Woody wrote: Try to find a Panamera 4 with 100k miles on it.

That's a thought. I've only been able to find RWD V6s for $25k-$30k so far. But something to keep an eye out for.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/14/17 6:13 p.m.

S60/V70r sounds like it would fit the bill, with cash leftover for other shenanigans. Ig going the SUV route, Cayenne of some flavor?

BoxheadTim
6/14/17 6:20 p.m.

Very good friend of mine has a Cayenne Turbo S. I've had a chance to ride in it quite a few times, but it's not something I'm that keen on. As I mentioned, any sort of SUV really leaves me cold. Even the completely nutso ones.

I did look at 996s again after all, there are some coupes in the $20k price range and also a Targa, which I'd be really interested in but Targas are 2WD only.

BoxheadTim
6/14/17 6:21 p.m.
Stampie wrote: 8) Get a already tastefully modified DSM awd for 5-10k. Spend another 5k on making it yours.

I actually did own an AWD Talon a while back and while I liked it despite its reliability flaws, that might be a bit too much of a "tuner" car to show up at big companies with.

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/14/17 6:28 p.m.

On the Taurus front- https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/6172486341.html

https://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/6155317434.html

Looks like a few more at dealers. Not sure where you specifically are in N CA, but could be worth a look around.

BoxheadTim
6/14/17 6:32 p.m.

I'm near Reno, NV. The second one actually looks quite interesting. I'd have to see one in person to see how I gauge its size a smaller is better when dealing with Bay Area traffic. But certainly an interesting option.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HrXdCZNtR4AlsYXH8Xl5Mfzouf0jn8h2m8Hm1eG0DF4LL120BYSuSYj2Z1RVVKps