1 2
bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/24/19 12:48 p.m.

Up till this spring we pulled a Jeep Liberty CRD behind the Wanderlodge on a homemade tow bar. (Legal in BC)

I sold the Libby and now we are travelling with no toad. I do not plan to do that again so I am turning over possibilities. It needs to be fun and seat three, with the possibility of jamming four in for a short hop into town, so it does not need to be necessarily practical. I would insure the toad for the summer and fall, same as the Wanderlodge. On the short list are:

Flat fender jeep

VW based buggy such as a Meyers clone

Porsche 928 because I kind of want one anyway (std transmission)

BMW 635 for the same reason (also standard)

Old classic pickup. 

Options you all have thatI have not yet thought of.

The Porsche and BMW purists may be shocked at the thought of dragging them four down behind a bus, but so what. My only concern is the transmission which some claim will suffer from lack of lubrication. But I'm not sure why it would care unless those cars already come with a transmission pump which I doubt.

Flaming and enabling open for business.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
8/24/19 2:17 p.m.

Last year, we built up a 2000 4-door Chevy tracker for a customer who wanted a fun little 4x4.

Lift kit, skid plate, rock sliders, bumpers front and rear and winch.

It's got a real transfer case in it so you can actually put it in neutral.

He spent less than a new side-by-side and it's road legal.

Think of it as a side-by-side with rollup windows and air conditioning.

Would probably be great for a toad as well.

eastpark
eastpark Reader
8/24/19 2:25 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Last year, we built up a 2000 4-door Chevy tracker for a customer who wanted a fun little 4x4.

Lift kit, skid plate, rock sliders, bumpers front and rear and winch.

It's got a real transfer case in it so you can actually put it in neutral.

He spent less than a new side-by-side and it's road legal.

Think of it as a side-by-side with rollup windows and air conditioning.

Would probably be great for a toad as well.

Was going to suggest the same. We used a ‘99 Suzuki Vitara as a toad. It worked out very well for our needs. 

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/24/19 4:12 p.m.

Strange... I was coming here to suggest little Tracker or Suzuki Sidekick or Samurai.  Fun, impractical yet practical, light, can be used as pretty much anything.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/24/19 4:34 p.m.

A guy on another forum recently was using a late model Fiat 500 as his towed vehicle.  Seems like it would be an easy and light car for the purpose, and used ones are pretty cheap.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/24/19 4:53 p.m.

Nothing much to add, except my wife's cousin has a Liberty he tows behind his diesel pusher, and a couple of months ago the shift linkage broke on a rough stretch of road, it dropped into gear, and completely fried the (auto) transmission. So, another reason to stick with a manual for a toad, I guess.

In any case, I see more Wranglers than anything else when we camp.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
8/24/19 4:55 p.m.

I fully support the 928 idea.  I have similar tastes and would love to see that combo going down the road.

bearmtnmartin
8/24/19 5:06 p.m.

I have thought about the Tracker/Vitara or other small SUV but I just find them to be not particularly interesting or fun. Any I think I am looking for summer fun more than practical.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/24/19 5:35 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin :

Since no to Tracker (which I too would recommend) and seeing you are in Canuck-istan, how about a Lada  Niva. 

bearmtnmartin
8/24/19 5:46 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I actually kind of like that! A friend bought one new back in the mid eighties and it still had a hand crank. Unfortunately the chances of finding one that is not a basket case are pretty low. I should mention that I don't mind a minor project but I have no time for a big one.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
8/24/19 6:42 p.m.

Porsche 928 is a safe toad with regard to the transmission because it is a transaxle. Same as any other transaxle car, the final drive gears churn up enough oil to lube the change gears. Grab one while they are still affordable. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/24/19 6:57 p.m.

What is the Canadian view on Kei Trucks? Road legal? 

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/24/19 7:15 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Road legal? Absolutely legal, and in BC they are a dime a dozen.

bearmtnmartin
8/24/19 7:28 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Thank you for that little bit of enableness

bearmtnmartin
8/24/19 7:29 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I have considered them. I would not rule one out but the whole steering wheel on the wrong side is a bit of a turnoff.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/24/19 7:34 p.m.

Get the Kei van and tow a mini-bus behind you maxi-bus

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/24/19 7:57 p.m.

Dodge neon srt4

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/24/19 8:15 p.m.

You could explore the possibilities of European cars using CETA, or perhaps the possibilities of importing from St Pierre and Miqoleun (thoroughly botched)

bearmtnmartin
8/24/19 10:08 p.m.

How about something like this? Looks fun and towable. Definitely need to loose the scoop, or at least lower it dramatically. Cons: two seater. 

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/cto/d/surrey-1974-jensen-healey-modified/6943119515.html

bearmtnmartin
8/24/19 10:09 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Too new and a Neon doesn't really move me.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/24/19 10:56 p.m.

I recently saw a Hummer H2 being used as a toad. Not a reccomendation just felt I had to share that. Friend's dad occasionally uses a VW Thing as a toad behind a '47 silver sides bus.

I like the the sports car as a toad theory but other than the obvious transaxle Porsches I can't think of many options. Maybe MR2 or Fiero but none of those seat 3. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/24/19 11:06 p.m.

Omni glh turbo? 

Muscle era dart ir duster?

Ooooo. 4 door satellite! Like a road runner, only way cheaper and even more unique because nobody messes with 4 door mopars!

Failing that, fargo truck/suv?

bearmtnmartin
8/25/19 12:04 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I'd be all over a nice old Fargo if one fell in my lap. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
8/25/19 7:35 a.m.

Alfa Romeo Alfetta of any variety. The 6 cylinder cars are spectacular drivers.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/25/19 7:40 a.m.

Subaru Brat

(more comfortable back seat than a 928)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g1NEK8SXtBbx7sSkXjQg472ynNlnP7KHE2ENfCaRYb27U7iz9gW6C8s7wVg4W0xP