Jerry
Jerry Dork
7/4/14 7:08 a.m.

Coming home from my mom's yesterday, I dropped into 3rd to get around a slow moving minivan merging onto the highway, shortly after I got a check engine light in the Abarth. Torque says it was P1CEA and a Google search found this on a forum:

"There is a new Tech Bulletin out for 2013 Abarths with the P1CEA code. This time it is a reflash that fixes the light. Read below:

2013 Fiat 500 Abarth TSB 18-028-13

SUBJECT: Flash: MIL Illumination P1CEA- Boost Side Evap Purge System Performance

OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.

MODELS: 2013 (FF) Fiat 500/Abarth (Hatchback only)

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 1.4L engine (sales code EAF) built on or before February 14, 2013 (MDH 0214XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: A small number of customers may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further investigation the Technician may find that the following Diagnostic Trouble Code has been set: · P1CEA- Boost Side Evap Purge System Performance

Updating the PCM software will correct the condition listed above. "

But checking under the hood to see if I popped a fitting or something simple I noticed this fitting seemed loose. I pulled it off for a better photo:

It plugs into the black fitting directly below it. I thought I remembered unclipping it to remove from the stock unit & put into the new CAI. But the tab was bent slightly and I couldn't make it unclip, and no amount of force got it to stay on the black fitting. I have a Tuesday appointment for the CEL, is this related or something of a bonus problem?

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
7/4/14 7:58 a.m.

Is the male part of the fitting inserted too far into the CAI? If you don't get enough engagement the white clip in the female quick disconnect won't latch.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/4/14 11:36 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: Is the male part of the fitting inserted too far?

Giggity...

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
7/4/14 12:11 p.m.

I'll offer if that had been comnnected to something and now isn't, that's the first place I'd look. Did it formerly connect to something on the original intake piping?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/14 12:17 p.m.

Thread from the future: "Stupid special red hose on 500 Abarth failed, anyone rigged a replacement?"

They'll probably nickname it the "DIY artery."

Jerry
Jerry Dork
7/4/14 3:34 p.m.

In reply to motomoron:

It did connect to a fitting on the original intake, like the small vacuum line slightly lower. When I got home I tried wiggling all the assorted connections I remember changing while replacing intakes, and that one was definitely loose, but I can't remember how snug that originally was. I'm thinking I might try a hose clamp to hold it in place for the few days until I can take it in.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cCpnL1TREIxYlbyxpQVZUNncRL7Djg8HgTRLJ8zRT39S1gHyuF3k7n1vWNVj0ZzH