1 2 3
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/29/15 1:16 p.m.

The car in this photo was involved in a hit and run Here in Boston. The victim is hanging on by a thread. The state police need help in determining the Year Make and Model of this car. I Naturally thought of you all here at GRM as being the most versed in car ID. Anyway here are the posted photos.

Link to Facebook Posting by the State Police (scroll down a little and you will see it) :

https://www.facebook.com/MassStatePolice

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
1/29/15 1:18 p.m.

Late 90s early 00s accord or Cadillac Catera

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/29/15 1:19 p.m.

Cadillac Catera?

dean1484
1/29/15 1:21 p.m.

People are thinking Accord over on FB. I almost think it is a Lumina.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/29/15 1:25 p.m.

Lumina was my second thought, or Corolla.

dean1484
1/29/15 1:26 p.m.

I have software to enhance and sharpen photos but this one is just so small that I really don't get any gain from it. I tried. If I could get a higher res image I could maybe get things a bit sharper. I tried upping he DPI from 300 to 2400 then sharpening things up. I may run it through a degauss filter and see if that helps.

johndej
johndej Reader
1/29/15 1:32 p.m.

Miata!

98-02 accord sedan would be my guess.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/15 1:33 p.m.

Don't feel bad, you can't really "enhance" a photo, except with a context-aware AI.

Lumina, Accord and Catera are all good guesses, it's hard to sort out among those three, but here are the best hints I can find:

• The curvature of the upper edge of the side window and the way it meets the windshield doesn't match the Accord, looks more like a Catera or maybe a Lumina.

• I think a lens flare is distorting the mirror and making it look like it's coming off the A-pillar, but it could be the Catera mirrors with a black stem and body-colored panel.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/29/15 1:34 p.m.

My first thought was early 90's chrysler concorde/LHS/new yorker.

edit: LHS:

GameboyRMH
1/29/15 1:35 p.m.

Just saw something else, look at the vent near the bottom of the front bumper. A Lumina doesn't have that.

There's another car that looks something like this, I think some kind of Hyundai?

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
1/29/15 1:40 p.m.

How is it possible I'm the first to post this...

GameboyRMH
1/29/15 1:44 p.m.
bluej wrote: My first thought was early 90's chrysler concorde/LHS/new yorker. edit: LHS:

Check out the creases in the hood, they don't match.

GameboyRMH
1/29/15 1:47 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Lumina was my second thought, or Corolla.

The overall shape looks like an AE101, but those have no hood creases at all.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/29/15 1:47 p.m.

Zoom. Enhance. Zoom. Zoom. Enhance. Zoom. Enhance.

I have no idea :(

The distinguishing features I see from the photo are:

• The rear trunk curves away much sharper than the rear bumper does, leaving a lip 1/2 way to the wheel well
  • The front plate height (this probably doesn't vary nearly as much as rear plates)
  • The crease in the hood that runs from the bottom of the A pillar to the grill is very pronounced from that far away. Possibly just due to reflection though.
  • No rubstrips on the side of the body. Looks like some lower trim down near the bottom of the doors, but nothing in the center like the Accord. Catera has those also, although body colored.
etifosi
etifosi Reader
1/29/15 1:50 p.m.

It's a zagging Catera.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
1/29/15 1:51 p.m.

Another vote here for the 98-02 Accord

etifosi
etifosi Reader
1/29/15 1:57 p.m.

The crime car doesn't have a flying "H" in the grille.

GameboyRMH
1/29/15 1:59 p.m.

Found the Hyundai I was thinking of, '95 Elantra. It doesn't have any hood creases though.

Right now I'm thinking Catera or Accord...the Accord fits the look pretty closely even including what looks like a hood shut line visible by one of the headlights. But the curvature of the windows and hood don't seem quite right for an Accord.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/29/15 2:34 p.m.

I still think the door rubstrips are too low to be either of those.

jstand
jstand Reader
1/29/15 3:10 p.m.

Mazda Millenia?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
1/29/15 3:23 p.m.

Early 2000's Chevy Malibu/classic

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
1/29/15 3:34 p.m.

Leganza?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
1/29/15 3:51 p.m.

The crime car doesn't seem to have any type of of opening on the roof, so I'm pretty sure that rules out the Catera. I would say Lumina, but the rub strip is wrong, unless some had body colored rub strips.

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
1/29/15 4:00 p.m.

I see an accord. 1998 - 2000-ish.

I found a pic online from a similar angle, but cant get it to post.

etifosi
etifosi Reader
1/29/15 4:07 p.m.

Hole in the roof NOT standard on Cateras.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bKVfCanHvr5NNUq98WfIosRM0u0dUlhClb4u6mSHkdwfjTBhLlKz4eYwaxTcI0nn