HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty New Reader
10/27/08 6:49 p.m.

Ah, so it didn't take much troubleshooting to figure out I have a bad rear caliper on the Volvo 740 Turdbo. Looking at what I thought the identifying numbers are doesn't make much sense since to me this number looks like a 98 and not a 40, 38, etc. Any one have any clues as to what calipers these are? The guy I bought this car from seemed a little on the strange side so who knows what's going on here.

Car details are 1988 Volvo 740 Turbo, lovingly called the Turdbo. Well, lovingly at times I guess. So do the Swede's have some sort of different numbering system?

Pics:

Any help would be most appreciated!

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/27/08 9:47 p.m.

First guess... G for Girling.

Refer to the product plate (located above passenger front headlight or in the trunk or door jamb). Go to position "E" (end of the second line on the right). The following codes apply:

* 2: Girling Front, ATE Rea
* 3: DBA/Bendix Front, ATE Rear
* 4: Girling Front and rear
* 5: DBA/Bendix Front, Girling Rear

http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900/Brakes.htm

Brickboard is fun.

car39
car39 Reader
10/28/08 7:41 a.m.

I would think they were Girling, from the "G" casting shown on the 2nd photo

HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty New Reader
10/28/08 8:09 a.m.

Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking but on that brickboard link as well as all the parts stores ask for the number stamped on it, from 40, 38, 36. I don't see that on either of them and the only number that I can see is stamped 96, which isn't even close to 40! Also, that article says to replace it what what was on there, why can't I just upgrade to the bigger piston size?

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/28/08 11:11 a.m.

What is on the product plate?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/28/08 11:13 a.m.
  1. is it possible that the "96" you see is really a "36" with some rust and/or crud making the 3 look like a 9?

2. if you're only replacing one caliper, make sure it's the same size as the one on the other side.

3. June 2008 GRM has an excellent article dealing with the system-level effects of changing component gain. Short summary: big pistons don't necessarily lead to shorter stopping distance! It's all about how each component contributes to the balance of the system.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
10/28/08 11:14 a.m.

You don't see the 38 stamped right there on the left side of the second picture? Take a closer look. It's really fine.

It's on the far-left protrusion. The one that is flat on top (the others are rounded). Look really closely. It's as thin as a hair. "38"

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
10/28/08 11:24 a.m.

To answer your final question: The Swedes have a numbering system that starts with 3 and ends (oddly enough) at 112,358,132. They have no concept for infinity, and they don't have a need for a number lower than 3 or higher than 112,358,132.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/28/08 1:03 p.m.

That caliper looks like it was brought up from a shipwreck

HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty New Reader
10/28/08 5:14 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: You don't see the 38 stamped right there on the left side of the second picture? Take a closer look. It's really fine. It's on the far-left protrusion. The one that is flat on top (the others are rounded). Look really closely. It's as thin as a hair. "38"

HOLY CRAP! I did not. Sheesh, I'm also horrible at those "stare at a picture until a new picture appears." Thanks a ton!

HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty New Reader
10/28/08 5:16 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: That caliper looks like it was brought up from a shipwreck

Tell me about it. Car came from Pittsburgh originally, then somehow found it's way out to NJ before I brought it back to the 'burgh. Lot's of salt.

HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty New Reader
10/28/08 5:32 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: 1. is it possible that the "96" you see is really a "36" with some rust and/or crud making the 3 look like a 9? 2. if you're only replacing one caliper, make sure it's the same size as the one on the other side. 3. June 2008 GRM has an excellent article dealing with the system-level effects of changing component gain. Short summary: big pistons don't necessarily lead to shorter stopping distance! It's all about how each component contributes to the balance of the system.

I can understand why it matters replacing 1 caliper, but given the condition of both I may as well replace both. I did read that article, but am still confused as to why the Swedes would have 3 different sizes. I understand big pistons don't always lead to shorter stopping distances, but from what I can tell there's only 1 master cyl. available, no different sizes of brake lines, pads are the same so as far as I can tell that's the only difference, the diamater of the piston. Given that all else is equal, unless the pressure at the piston is less with the bigger diameter, I would think that the 40 would give at least a little bit of a boost.

I should just ditch the car and buy a 'vair and be happy. One day...

HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty New Reader
10/28/08 5:35 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: To answer your final question: The Swedes have a numbering system that starts with 3 and ends (oddly enough) at 112,358,132. They have no concept for infinity, and they don't have a need for a number lower than 3 or higher than 112,358,132.

Maybe it has something to do with why a former coworker of mine loved to fly Scandinavian Airlines. Something about the staff on those planes all being blonde, 6 ft, and attractive. Perhaps there are nothing less than threes there...

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
10/29/08 11:32 a.m.
HeavyDuty wrote: HOLY CRAP! I did not. Sheesh, I'm also horrible at those "stare at a picture until a new picture appears." Thanks a ton!

I was brought up on "Where's Waldo?" books. If you put a guy in a red and white striped sweater in a space station orbiting Jupiter, I can spot him in a crowd of 100 space-mall shoppers.

11110000 New Reader
11/2/08 7:19 a.m.

That's an ATE caliper. Look at the second picture, bottom left of the piston housing. You'll see a faint, rust-obscured ATE logo.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OUYiNMuarINqcuOs9X7FKGJvPL1HvqwNuSq0VavGGIQwruvt3ARnkJqxPvRqCyfX