corytate
corytate Dork
3/23/12 7:09 p.m.

any updates?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/26/12 5:01 p.m.
corytate wrote: any updates?

We're working through the resumes, but to be honest we're not going to discuss any particulars in public. We do thank everyone for their interest, though.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/26/12 6:24 p.m.

Huh, you know, I should find some volunteer opportunities to write some automotive related stuff. I write loads of stuff all day. Not looking for a new job, but when I retire, doing a bit of free-lance automotive writing would be a blast.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/12 6:33 p.m.

So pitch some article ideas at David.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/26/12 6:43 p.m.

In reply to Keith:

I might do that. Might do a couple "blog entries" first since I went to all the trouble to build a wordpress site. The great preponderance of my writing is :30 long. If I did the "about the author" on the back of your next book it would be "long form" for me. lol

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/12 7:02 p.m.

I believe it was one of my English teachers that said "there's a fine line between succinct and lazy". I don't think it was meant as a compliment. I never was good at padding things out - once I'd said what I had to say, I was done sayin'

Don't underestimate the power of a blog. I was approached about my first book gig based on my writings online. That was back before the English language was besmirched with the word "blog".

And GRM really is easy to approach. Come up with a good idea and see what they say. I do know that something universal is preferred - "how to make your car handle" is better than "how to make a Rabbit handle". Makes sense, really.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
4/11/12 7:39 a.m.

Max_Archer
Max_Archer New Reader
4/14/12 9:19 p.m.

Too bad I can't write my way out of a paper bag. Someday maybe I can shoot for GRM, though.

nymalo
nymalo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/25/12 10:13 p.m.
Max_Archer wrote: Too bad I can't write my way out of a paper bag. Someday maybe I can shoot for GRM, though.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/27/12 5:59 p.m.

I'm not taking a crack at it because I don't want to unseat jg as the resident jokester.

(Bull. I too am unable to write my way out of a paper bag. Uh, wait; make that a wet paper bag.)

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
5/2/12 2:57 p.m.
Keith wrote: And GRM really is easy to approach. Come up with a good idea and see what they say. I do know that something universal is preferred - "how to make your car handle" is better than "how to make a Rabbit handle". Makes sense, really.

I've thought about it. I've had a few potential article/project ideas. A TDI performance build series. E30 chip comparison (more of a one-shot article). Some others that apparently weren't good enough for me to remember.

I've also noticed GRM article text tends to be fairly terse, so they would probably have to edit the hell out of anything I submitted.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
5/3/12 7:53 a.m.

I have a couple of tech articles I need to polish up. They were originally intended for forum use, but I feel that I can rework them into a magazine article. I'd love to be able to work with the GRM guys on a guest basis at some point in the future, maybe even eventually securing a tiny corner of HQ at some point.

corytate
corytate Dork
5/4/12 7:58 p.m.

I'm writing something to move my brain past the project wall right now, laying it out like an article.
I guess when I send it I'll be able to get my "don't quit your day job" moment. Or I'll be able to quit my day job. lol

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Rq0b2Y0gfUezDFvsxShqAM4RS8sS2EepTy59aj14YVwMTjyH8D2z2ITXAEQOzaZi