1 2 3 4
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/16/19 5:22 p.m.

Challenge car!!!!

The paint is GARBAGE. and at least 4 different colors.

Every panel has body damge. Let that sink in. Every. Panel.

The challenge wheels are silver. And it has the small appearance package rockers bot bolted on.

Tan interior as shown. No top. 

Budget is very, very limited. I think i have less than 100 left. Id like to be T 50.

I have a roll of creased carbon fiber vynil that should be enough for the hood. That roll is free (damaged in shipping, amazon sent a free replacement and told me to keep this one)

So, throw out some ideas! Im all ears!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/16/19 5:26 p.m.

If the hood is factory, it is aluminum.  Sand down to a bare finish should have no hit on budget!!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/16/19 5:37 p.m.

Is it generally Emerald Mica?  

I ask because generally keeping the same color will mean that the door jams don't require paint.  How far do you plan to strip down the car for the painting process?  

Dusterbd13-michael
2/16/19 5:41 p.m.

It was emerald green!

Ill strip it as far as necessary, to be honest.

Id like to keep the green, or something similar, but its so wrinkled that the dark color will probably look like ass.paintforcars has a gallon kit of fatjom green metallic that i love. But thats a hindred bucks. Probably only ise 1/3 of the kit, so 33 in budget plus bondo/primer/etc. And im NOT a bodyman....

Hood is aluminium. However, center bulge is caved, and its bent overall in a couple of directions. Hence the vynil idea. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/19 5:45 p.m.

I have 4 quarts of dupli color paint shop emerald green metallic that i paid $7 per quart for that you can have for what i paid.  I bought enough to do 2 cars because it was so cheap.  

Dusterbd13-michael
2/16/19 5:46 p.m.

Honestly, i had half considered satin black. Ive never owned anything satin black.....

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/16/19 5:47 p.m.

Go with a version of the classic Martini racing paint job in  whatever brand of tractor pain't is on sale that week. No, the other one. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/16/19 6:25 p.m.

Do something that photographs well. 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/16/19 6:28 p.m.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
2/16/19 6:36 p.m.

Low budget hit, cheap but bright paint. If you have unlimited time, a variation of the APV-R would be great.  I'll give you a visual reminder:

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/16/19 6:48 p.m.

Go to Ollie's or another discount store with sub $2 a can spray paint. Recreate a mashup of various Pink Floyd album covers or Warhol BMW art cars. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/16/19 6:56 p.m.

Do you have  a favorite GM race livery? What about a favorite Mazda one? Can you pull off the mash up?

I think you can. GO!

Adam

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/16/19 7:07 p.m.

the donk community has the best livery ideas 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
2/16/19 7:08 p.m.

I think polishing the hood and trunk lid could be really unique, attention grabbing and best of all, free. Then you could use the carbon vinyl to add accents like stripes or geometric patterns on the hood and the rest of the body to tie it together.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
2/16/19 7:10 p.m.

Patricks Color is Perfect and a Truly awesome Price,  On the Other hand I LOVE the Interior and that Dictate's Body Color Kind of, so something different Like brite lime from a Focus or more elegant Tangerine, But Every other color I like is Dark/ Sapphire Blue, Candy Black Cherry,  Or Forrest Green Mettalic. Not Real Racey Colors But My Palete is Boring.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/16/19 7:24 p.m.

Mazda official racing colors are all white with blue on the bottom.  You could do that and add a stripe in between.  

I also really like the rx7 rallycar that's on the forum.  I think it's fidelity's car.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
2/16/19 7:44 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

I would leave raw aluminum circles on the hoods to put your race numbers.....

And hand pinstriped of course....

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/16/19 8:40 p.m.

FedEx me the hood. I'll take care of it. 

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/16/19 9:28 p.m.

Sand all the paint off and call it a silver arrow.  Hose it down with WD40 to slow down the rust.

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
2/16/19 10:09 p.m.

Before nixing my Miata build, I was looking into Mazda racecar liveries

One of my favorites

The one I was going to use, Roger Mandeville

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/16/19 11:12 p.m.

The Pepto car above got me thinking along these lines. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
2/17/19 3:02 a.m.

K.I.S.S.

rodknock
rodknock Reader
2/17/19 5:04 a.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

That plus the polished hood would be hot! 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
2/17/19 5:35 a.m.

In reply to rodknock :

Wouldn’t require much paint, just the gold. Probably use Rustoleum and roll it on. Same with the wheels

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/17/19 5:38 a.m.

You know you want Kawasaki green. It's calling you from deep in your soul. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KA4aUrFRXHSLRZ8AtBJs8IbfsHXwH0rpLoklvFKPJpdsWg4mNIexrQddDmUJ5nvs