1 2 3 4
lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
2/17/19 6:52 a.m.

Sticking with the green, but not race car...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/17/19 6:56 a.m.
Stampie said:

You know you want Kawasaki green. It's calling you from deep in your soul. 

I was thinking glow in the dark. Could do kawi green with a glow clear.....

rodknock
rodknock Reader
2/17/19 7:41 a.m.

Here's a quick and dirty photoshop 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
2/17/19 8:17 a.m.

In reply to rodknock :

I saw you Photoshop and thought somebody is reading my mind!

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/19 9:58 a.m.

I don’t have any better pics of this car handy but it looked really good on a sunny day. It was Ford Jade green, bright orange and bright white.  It should adapt to the Miata shape well and the white hides lots of wrinkles.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
2/17/19 11:31 a.m.
rodknock said:

Here's a quick and dirty photoshop 

Damn, That Was Quick and SOOO 60's Retro. I'm a Sucker for old Jags though ,Funny I was going to also say B R G . doesn't your hood have Damage ? Mikie, Might have enough S B Y to do it. Free to me from NCS as a bad Mix when they moved recently. sorta the stripe color above but bright and shiny, The color I used on the Fiero Stripe if you remember  

PS really have enough to do the car not just stripe and the more I think about it the more I like It. darkish school bus yellow. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/17/19 11:52 a.m.

Ill have to stare at the picture some more. Part of me really wants to make it a sleeper. Stock appearance except for the ride height and 3 inch exhaust turn down. 

The tan interior is what throws me. A black interior, or a top that hides the interior, would match any color or livery.  My brain gets stuck on dark green and black with the tan.....

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
2/17/19 12:33 p.m.

If it's a sleeper , no strips and no gumball......

But what fun would that be :)

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/17/19 1:06 p.m.

Get two of these for $9 each:

If you want a different color, just get the white.  The paint counter at HD will tell you they can't tint it, but they can.  They will try to tell you it has something to do with a legal restriction about opening a flammable liquid in the store.  It won't be accurate, but you can tint it.

Apply with a cheap spray gun thinned out a bit, or paint it with a roller.  You can claim that the texture left from the paint roller is "micro-dimpling" for aerodynamics.

Dusterbd13-michael
2/17/19 1:32 p.m.
Curtis said:

Get two of these for $9 each:

If you want a different color, just get the white.  The paint counter at HD will tell you they can't tint it, but they can.  They will try to tell you it has something to do with a legal restriction about opening a flammable liquid in the store.  It won't be accurate, but you can tint it.

Apply with a cheap spray gun thinned out a bit, or paint it with a roller.  You can claim that the texture left from the paint roller is "micro-dimpling" for aerodynamics.

Is there a way to add metal flake to that?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/17/19 1:54 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Pretty sure you can get it from a paint supply house. Or go ghetto cheap and dump arts and crafts glitter in there.

californiamilleghia
2/17/19 2:10 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Pretty sure you can get it from a paint supply house. Or go ghetto cheap and dump arts and crafts glitter in there.

Is the glitter going to clog up the spray gun ?

rodknock
rodknock Reader
2/17/19 2:12 p.m.

I made it a bit more subtle by getting rid of the meatball and the polished hood. I did a rough color change of the interior as well. Also if you have any ideas for the paint/livery in your head I would be more than willing to shop it for ya. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/19 3:10 p.m.

In reply to rodknock :

That looks great 

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
2/17/19 3:30 p.m.

Turquoise or orange would look good honestly.

E: Purple too

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
2/17/19 4:19 p.m.

Sometimes auto body supply houses will have cans of leftover or mismatched paint sitting on a clearance shelf for cheap, check around to see what you can find.

Curtis
2/17/19 4:48 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

Sometimes auto body supply houses will have cans of leftover or mismatched paint sitting on a clearance shelf for cheap, check around to see what you can find.

Good idea.  I looked for this exact thing when I was trying to paint my cap/camper/topper for my F150, but I never found a color that I wanted.

If you find a base color you like, you could maybe find some old clearcoat at a body shop for cheap and add your metal flake to that.

But, in short... yes, you can add metal flake to the Rustoleum.  I've never shot metallic paint before, but there is a certain tip/nozzle combo you should use to prevent clogging.

Do you have a surplus store or TSC handy?  There is a surplus store near me that sells cheap off-brand auto finishes.  In a pinch, look at one of these places for "Implement paint" or "tractor paint."  It isn't really designed to give a nice, high-quality automotive finish, but it sprays and looks pretty darn good.  I like to use rattle cans of it for painting parts.  It holds up to UV pretty well and sticks like crazy.  Oliver green might match what you have pretty well.

Curtis
2/17/19 4:57 p.m.

Here is one source. I have used the Majic brand before with good success.  Use with or without hardener, but it's under $30/gal

Available in these colors from TSC

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
2/17/19 5:02 p.m.

Implement paint is supposed to hold up fairly well too, I was considering some to replace the house paint on the dakota

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/17/19 5:38 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:
Appleseed said:

Is the glitter going to clog up the spray gun ?

It will. You can sprinkle it on wet paint. I don't suggest you do.

Dusterbd13-michael
2/17/19 7:51 p.m.

amazon sells flake for mixing into paint. 

how does that work? just dump and mix thouroughly? then spray?

ive done a couple of paint jobs in the driveway with a $9 harbor freight gun. couple rustoleum, two real paint. so i have very little experience. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/17/19 8:07 p.m.

If your theme is sleeper daily but you want to spice it up for the challenge, they make some very low grip vinyl. You could work it into your presentation on the car by quickly and easily peeling up part of the design in front of the judges. Sort of a super hero car. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/17/19 9:37 p.m.

Shake the crap out of it. I'd get everything ready to go, dump the automotive grade metalflake in, then go to the closest store with a paint shaker that's willing to shake it.

californiamilleghia
2/17/19 10:22 p.m.

Tractor supply has good cheap paint , same as Rust-Oleum

John Deere green ?

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
2/18/19 7:44 a.m.

Mikie There is more paint WORK after Spraying Metalflake than before, Stay with a Mettaliac

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ALKLHVXUSNn2DZn3j3dYLkcZP1zsFupssttPj2Pv28bdQjWXXPYz3dAbGQ2DUhMJ