1 2 3
gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
1/22/20 11:44 a.m.

Article here 

What do you guys think of this? It seems crazy to me that a person would buy one for the purpose of track days, where there are no sponsors, no cash payouts, no trophies, no nothing, when they can just drive whatever thy already own.

I do think it would make for a cool spec series.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/22/20 11:48 a.m.

Rich people.  

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
1/22/20 11:48 a.m.
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/22/20 11:51 a.m.

Wow. Just pinged them. 

Thanks. 

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/22/20 11:51 a.m.
gearheadmb said:

It seems crazy to me that a person would buy one for the purpose of track days, where there are no sponsors, no cash payouts, no trophies, no nothing, when they can just drive whatever thy already own.

You're trolling, right? "Why would someone buy a track-day-setup version of a Proper Real Racecar from a famous supplier when they've already got a car of some kind?" I mean, once you've got a car, why would you bother with another one? cheeky For folks who have that kind of money to hand it's basically "would you like a new toy?" with a different flavor of cachet to other droolworthy options (e.g. various exotics).

David S. Wallens
1/22/20 11:54 a.m.

In reply to Ransom :

Yup. Here's a way to run fast, turnkey laps. I just invited them to the Ultimate Track Car Challenge. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
1/22/20 12:01 p.m.
Ransom said:
gearheadmb said:

It seems crazy to me that a person would buy one for the purpose of track days, where there are no sponsors, no cash payouts, no trophies, no nothing, when they can just drive whatever thy already own.

You're trolling, right? "Why would someone buy a track-day-setup version of a Proper Real Racecar from a famous supplier when they've already got a car of some kind?" I mean, once you've got a car, why would you bother with another one? cheeky For folks who have that kind of money to hand it's basically "would you like a new toy?" with a different flavor of cachet to other droolworthy options (e.g. various exotics).

I guess youre right. I always try to look at things from other peoples perspectives whenever possible, but the "I have the kind of money I can buy a Hendricks racecar just for fun" perspective is so far away from my reality that it is hard to put myself in their shoes. I'll try to be more sensitive as to not offend the super rich with my short sighted, judgemental comments moving forward.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/22/20 12:22 p.m.

The 4 speed gearbox was the one thing on the specification that I thought was a let down, but I see they are offering a 5 or 6 speed sequential transmissions as options. So that is cool. I'll take mine with the Crammit body, the 454 fuel injected engine with the sequential gearbox. I just want to make the headlights functional though.

3,100 pounds, 627 HP.

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/22/20 12:30 p.m.

I would turn it into a street car!

David S. Wallens
1/22/20 12:33 p.m.
Shadeux said:

I would turn it into a street car!

In Florida, I'm sure you could. 

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
1/22/20 12:35 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Or Arizona. I've seen "street legal" NASCARs tagged  there. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/22/20 12:58 p.m.

After some Googling, it appears the base price is around $125,000.  Not cheap, but comparable to other track-specific cars. Cheaper than a few.

Makes sense for Hendrick.  Something to keep the staff busy between team and customer car projects. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/20 1:00 p.m.

If I had the money I'd buy one today. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/22/20 1:03 p.m.
gearheadmb said:

I do think it would make for a cool spec series.

ha

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/22/20 1:10 p.m.

I would wager, if you were to buy one of the Hendrick cars, or a new C8 Corvette, by the time you were a few years into the deal, you'd be money ahead on the Hendrick, just on consumables.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/22/20 1:11 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Ransom :

Yup. Here's a way to run fast, turnkey laps. I just invited them to the Ultimate Track Car Challenge. 

That seems like a very intelligent thing to have done.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
1/22/20 1:48 p.m.

That's a friggin bargain for what you're getting!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
1/22/20 1:54 p.m.

I would think that you are not getting the same specs as "Team Hendricks" car because I am sure there are secrets they do not to share !

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/22/20 2:10 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

Gee, I just meant that asking the GRM forum -whose members broadly have project cars stacked like cordwood- why anybody would want another car when they already have *a* car is funny.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
1/22/20 2:24 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

I totally get it. And my reply was meant as good natured sarcasm. 

But I do tend to forget the way the other half lives, and I definitely don't blame Hendricks for making their services available to them. 

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
1/22/20 2:30 p.m.

I stumbled across these the other day after hearing the Nascar Gen 7 cars are testing sequential manuals.  It's an interesting package and reminds me of a simplified Aussie Super V8 or Trans Am car.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
1/22/20 2:36 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

Now I really want to win the lottery, almost enough to buy a ticket. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
1/22/20 2:48 p.m.

Why pay $125,000+ when you can buy real NASCAR race cars used for less? Rich guys would like the presumed reliability of the track day car I suppose.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
1/22/20 3:13 p.m.

Neat idea, I'll take mine with a R07 and sequential 6-speed please (just as soon as I will the Lottery).

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/20 3:27 p.m.

You guys are apparently unaware of Radicals. Or some of the higher priced Ferraris, even.  Heck, there's a whole industry of track-only cars in the UK. And I agree that this vs a hotrod C8 for track use is probably a pretty easy choice.

If it's got a full cage, I'm sure you could find a place to run it in NASA. And there's always Time Attack, $125k would not be a high dollar build at the pointy end of that field. Let's face it, amateur racing doesn't make any sense at all financially  :)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BaGiXDYR6knoCxM8Bkhx7D4SRzbQ1TFzIOYdTTqyyKYd8N20ld0ZKgebcyKa1mr5