1 2 3
JimS
JimS Reader
1/22/20 3:36 p.m.

Rather have a gt3rs. Plenty of track performance and street capability. No need for trailer etc. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
1/22/20 3:39 p.m.

I mean, it's kind of genius actually. People already buy used NASCARs and use them for track days, now you can buy one that's brand new and fresh and ready to race, right from the source.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/22/20 6:24 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I was about to comment that amateur racing is financially reckless. Especially for middle class incomes lol

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
1/22/20 7:30 p.m.

I don't think I would want one. Sure it would be fun, but it would take away my ability blame everything on the car and force me to accept the fact that I can't drive for E36 M3.

einy
einy HalfDork
1/22/20 7:43 p.m.

In 2021, NASCAR Cup is going to transition to a spec chassis, built by one manufacturer.  This will put many Charlotte based fabricators on the street, including those at Hendrick Motorsports - especially once tge second tier and truck series follow suit.  

I see this as an interesting move by Hendrick to employ gainfully that talent base for some additional time.

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
1/22/20 9:03 p.m.
JimS said:

Rather have a gt3rs. Plenty of track performance and street capability. No need for trailer etc. 

...right up until you've got four wheels off track and you're headed toward a wall at extremely high speed.

There are many ways to go as fast, but I think few of them would be as safe as this. And, in a world where there are no prerequisites besides sufficient funding to purchase outrageously fast cars, I think I appreciate this approach.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
1/22/20 9:55 p.m.

Are they taking advantage of the incoming NASCAR changes? That is, our tooling is now more or less useless for making the old style, let's bleed the last dollars out of it. Clearly a different income bracket, but I bet they're fairly under-stressed and could run lap after lap.....

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3667937809883859&id=100000030295012

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/22/20 10:50 p.m.

From an article I read:

—The biggest change of all, though, will be the one-supplier sourcing of the chassis for every team—a spec chassis that everybody uses. As with the solid rear axle, NASCAR’s body-on-frame construction is expected to be replaced by a tub, likely using a lot of carbon fiber. This will also allow the driver to be positioned farther from the door of the car, an additional safety benefit. The one company in the running that has a great deal of experience in this, and is already building cars for U.S.-based series like IndyCar, Indy Lights and IMSA (as well as Formula 1), is Dallara. (The IMSA Cadillacs are rebadged Dallaras.) While Dallara Automobili is indeed an Italian company, part of the deal when it got the IndyCar contract was to build a factory in Indianapolis. Should it get the NASCAR contract, which would be presumably much more lucrative than IndyCar, you can bet there will be a Dallara Charlotte.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
1/23/20 8:44 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

Lol, that's the article I linked with a bit of commentary from Andrew Rains. 

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
1/23/20 8:45 a.m.

Pretty cool.

Regarding the cost objections, if you compare to the typical factory sanctioned GT4 and GT3 cars, it's basically half price of the less expensive ones.

For an interesting performance comparison to hot street cars, google "Nascar Versus The World" from R&T.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/23/20 9:47 a.m.

One of those with the sequential option would be amazing. 

I wonder how quickly it burns through tires and brakes and what those cost?

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
1/23/20 10:01 a.m.

Even the tire size will be different .

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/23/20 10:10 a.m.
Snrub said:

Pretty cool.

Regarding the cost objections, if you compare to the typical factory sanctioned GT4 and GT3 cars, it's basically half price of the less expensive ones.

For an interesting performance comparison to hot street cars, google "Nascar Versus The World" from R&T.

Neat piece. I do wonder what would happen if they put enough tire and brake on the NASCAR. It's amazing that the KTM beat the next fastest car by as much as it did! That was a rout.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28990276/nascar-versus-the-world/

I've raced with Sam Smith (on the same team). He's a good and funny guy. I'm slower than him by a lot.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/23/20 10:18 a.m.

I'm surprised it's taken this long, it looks to be a screaming deal.  I'm honestly surprised one of the approved TA2 chassis manufacturers isn't already doing this.  $125k is nothing to many many people.  It makes a lot more sense  to run something like this than take your new F-car,  911 Turbo, C7/C8 etc and get a cage, fire system, seat and other safety systems installed along with brake ducts, splitters, etc.  fitted.  Most people who track cars like that don't do the work themselves, they take it to a race prep shop.  This comes ready to go and consumables are going to be pennies on the dollar compared to the more exotic street car based track cars.  Anyone who thinks running an old GT3 car would be cheaper is deluding themselves.  The engines alone are magnitudes different in cost (Corvette possibly excluded).  IMSA is hurting for entries as a full season in a GT3 car costs north of $3,000,000 dollars.  OK, track days are nothing compared to racing, but GT3 cars are not cheap to run.  

Here's hoping either Hendricks offers some other bodies, or Howe Racing, Mike Cope or Meissen get in the game as the biggest issue I have as there are few things uglier than a Camaro or Chubby SS.  Give me a Challenger or Mustang any day.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/20 10:41 a.m.
Ransom said:

In reply to gearheadmb :

Gee, I just meant that asking the GRM forum -whose members broadly have project cars stacked like cordwood- why anybody would want another car when they already have *a* car is funny.

I prefer to think of it as having an assembly line for debt.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/20 10:50 a.m.
dculberson said:
Snrub said:

Pretty cool.

Neat piece. I do wonder what would happen if they put enough tire and brake on the NASCAR. It's amazing that the KTM beat the next fastest car by as much as it did! That was a rout.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28990276/nascar-versus-the-world/

I've raced with Sam Smith (on the same team). He's a good and funny guy. I'm slower than him by a lot.

Sam is absolutely hilarious and a great driver.

Ha, when I read the first paragraph of the article and it mentioned the NASCAR pro I thought "It's gonna be Kligerman"...

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/23/20 11:32 a.m.

There may be a place for it V8 Stockcar in the US southeast. Repair costs should be lower than GT3 and you get that V8 sound.

VegasNick
VegasNick GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/23/20 11:43 a.m.

You can buy used cup car all day long for under $10K minus the engine. I have seen some up in NC for as low as $3,000. Easy in most states to get the tagged as long as you do all the street legal upgrades. (most states support them as a kit car) Or do like a few of us have done and build our own NASCAR replica with a street legal title already and hit the track! I have another friend that had one built at Petty's garage for around $35K

While it may not be as fast as some... I think I have gotten over $10K worth of fun out of it. 

No way I would drop $125K on that. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/20 11:52 a.m.
VegasNick said:

You can buy used cup car all day long for under $10K minus the engine. I have seen some up in NC for as low as $3,000. Easy in most states to get the tagged as long as you do all the street legal upgrades. (most states support them as a kit car) 

My neighbors and insurance company hate you right now, but my credit union and credit card company are going to send you Christmas cards.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
1/23/20 11:59 a.m.

Let's see, the R07 engine option.  358 cubic inches, 725+ horsepower, and the dyno chart revs to 9500RPM.  Yes please.

VegasNick
VegasNick GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/23/20 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

hahah! If you want a contact for used cup cars right from the shops in North Carolina, let me know. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/23/20 12:47 p.m.
VegasNick said:

You can buy used cup car all day long for under $10K minus the engine. I have seen some up in NC for as low as $3,000. Easy in most states to get the tagged as long as you do all the street legal upgrades. (most states support them as a kit car)

As for getting tags on a Cup car, I don't think it will be that easy since they have zero street legal necessities - you'd have to add lights, turn signals, wipers, horn, safety glass windshields, parking brakes, defrosters, and on and on.  Even then getting a title may not be simple, it will depend on the state.  Some may be pretty lax on the requirements but most are not.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
1/23/20 12:49 p.m.

Damn you VegasNick..................you've let the cat out of the bag.

Years ago at a local SCCA meeting I mentioned to a couple of friends how cheap NASCAR and GT-1/ Trans Am rollers were. Buy one add a 500hp V8, fit it with take offs and you'd have a cheap to run car that went alarmingly fast. Hendriks has simply upsized that concept for serious track day people.

As for Mr Smith; I run in the same run group at vintage races as he does with his 2002, my opinion is he is more than moderately talented. I've seen him turn faster lap times than a couple of people who have SCCA national championships.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/23/20 12:58 p.m.

In reply to VegasNick :

That's as Pointless as the many threads we have stating X used car is faster than Y new car so the new car is a waste of time and money. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/20 1:14 p.m.

I agree that a factory-fresh turnkey race car is a different beast than one that's reached end of life and is being liquidated. It's like saying "why pay $25,000 for a new Miata when I can get one on Craiglist for $1500?". If you have the time and inclination and skills, you can turn a worn out race car into a fun track day toy. But you will need that time and inclination and skill.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iGRxEh9rQIQLWM2YEi97LihzMWK9sTLGKmM4IkN8N5ltI8rlNjmnXVO25mW6YyIA