1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 26
03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/13/20 11:48 p.m.

In reply to GTwannaB :

one of my pet gripes is almost all socket, allen, and/or wrench combo these days skip sizes. I have not been able to figure what bias some desk jockey has against them!!!

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
10/14/20 2:54 p.m.

Like, I understand that 5/8=16mm but I don't want to switch between sets just to get all the things I need.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
10/14/20 4:02 p.m.

I absolutely HATE sets that skip. I've spent more money than I care to admit buying German tool sets (Wera, Felo, Gedore) just because they have all the sizes (and because I like German tools).

That said, I do wonder about the HF Icon line - do they skip too?

wae
wae UltraDork
10/14/20 4:07 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/sockets/38-in-drive-metric-professional-socket-set-12-pc-64792.html and https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/sockets/12-in-drive-metric-professional-socket-set-13-pc-64852.html don't skip any sockets.  The cheaper Pittsburgh ones don't seem to, either: https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/sockets/38-in-drive-metric-color-coded-socket-set-10-pc-61292.html

The 1/2" Quinn set appears to be contiguous as well: https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/sockets/12-in-drive-metric-chrome-socket-set-10-pc-64226.html

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/14/20 5:18 p.m.
02Pilot said:

I absolutely HATE sets that skip. I've spent more money than I care to admit buying German tool sets (Wera, Felo, Gedore) just because they have all the sizes (and because I like German tools).

How do you like your wera, I have a set of sockets and a rachet and haven't been super impressed so far. Mind you I work on big big stuff. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/20 5:43 p.m.

Chainsaw on a stick was fun the first few cuts then it went all smoke machine on me.  

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
10/14/20 5:45 p.m.

Interesting that the Icon item descriptions specifically state: "No-skip sizing". Seems like they might have had some complaints.

In reply to Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) :

I really like the Wera Zyklop ratchet and sockets (I have the big 3/8ths set that runs from 6-24mm only skipping 23mm, which I've never seen used anywhere). I'm not using it professionally, and not on anything too big, but I really appreciate the little details such as the swivel head, the collar that makes spinning the ratchet easy in the vertical position, and the knurled edges on the sockets that make them easier to turn by hand. For an amateur like me they're very handy.

That said, I've been using my Felo 1/4" drive set a lot lately. It goes up to 14mm, and it fits everywhere. Really nicely made stuff.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/14/20 5:55 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

Chainsaw on a stick was fun the first few cuts then it went all smoke machine on me.  

Mine is awesome. But uses an alarming amount of chain lube. Killed the first one before learning that.

10/14/20 6:21 p.m.

Dead blow hammer. This is 3 years old and has held up wonderfully. 

solid pass  

10/14/20 6:22 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Miata diff drain plug are 23mm along with a things on big trucks. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
10/14/20 6:25 p.m.

Some pole saws only use a drip oiler, not a pump/ squirter. A saw operated horizontal for too long may starve lube on bar and chain. My electric Ryobi got too hot and stalled the chain, didn't burn the motor or harm the chain/ bar tho.

Since then, I'll cut horizontal a little but switch back to vertical periodically to get chain lubed. Repeat.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
10/14/20 6:39 p.m.
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to 02Pilot :

Miata diff drain plug are 23mm along with a things on big trucks. 

Really? Huh. Obviously I've never owned a Miata. Or a big truck.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/14/20 7:29 p.m.

Old people know why sizes are skipped on socket sets. 

They were not needed because no one used those sizes when building a car.  11mm?  No.  18mm Nope, not that one either.  16mm?  Might as well be Whitworth.  And somewhere along the line that changed.  My 1986 GTi had "normal" metric sizes.  My 1997 Jetta has all the metric sizes.  (Ok, maybe not 11mm.)  And socket head screws it seems EVERYWHERE.  But that is a different story.

AFAIK Standard sockets usually did not have skips.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
10/14/20 7:41 p.m.

In reply to noddaz :

It's true. My earlier BMWs (74, 83) were completely normal - 10, 13, 17, 19 would cover most of the car. My 01 was a little more involved, but the usual suspects would handle most of it. My 09 has everything, for no apparent reason at all.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, my 89 Saab has every size known to man plus a profusion of Torx screws. The Swedes were weird before it was cool.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/14/20 7:55 p.m.

In reply to noddaz :

As one of the official old guys, I can not agree. In 82 I picked up my first furrin’ car... 73 Datsun pu. True, 3 sizes did 70% ( 10, 13 and 15 - I think) but I work on more than just that. Then came a Toyota pu. 11 and 14 very common. But again, not the only 2 sizes needed 

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/14/20 10:26 p.m.
buzzboy said:

Like, I understand that 5/8=16mm but I don't want to switch between sets just to get all the things I need.

Thank you. I just noticed my new combo wrench skip 16mm but the set is standard plus metric so I am covered with this info. 

10/15/20 5:46 a.m.

Green punch and chisel set:

It's good, the geen comes off quite easy, they are sharp and decently hard for Chinese steel. If your not using them daily pass. 

10/16/20 5:48 a.m.

Excacto knife set, I have had this for around 5 years and use it probably once a month and have held up great  

pass

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
10/16/20 12:59 p.m.
02Pilot said:

My HF metric set skips one or two sizes, otherwise i'd say it's been great.  Every once in a while I need to run back and sort through the rando-wrench section of my toolbox.  I would paid a whole extra $2 to get all the sizes I need!

I've been meaning to buy a set of wratcheting wrenches for a while now...I'll grab a set if they don't skip sizes!

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
10/16/20 2:32 p.m.
Hoondavan said:

I've been meaning to buy a set of wratcheting wrenches for a while now...I'll grab a set if they don't skip sizes!

You're going to be disappointed. Better off waiting for one of the gearwrench sets to be cheap on amazon/ebay. Or do what i did and start with the HF set and then realize it doesn't have any of the sizes you actually use and then fill in the holes with single wrenches from ebay for $4-10 each.

10/21/20 9:27 a.m.

Big pass, I think when these get worn out I'll be buying a nice american set tho. These are the best thing ever for removing broken spark plugs. 

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
10/21/20 10:15 a.m.

This rolling seat broke in less than 6 months. FAIL! 

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
10/21/20 12:08 p.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non :

I've had that same seat for years ( maybe I got lucky) it's a little bent when I forgot to move it when lowering the lift but still functions

Rodan
Rodan Dork
10/21/20 1:46 p.m.

In reply to rustybugkiller :

Me too... had to tighten the casters a time or two, but it's still rolling along.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
10/22/20 6:34 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Pittsburgh brand "channel lock" pliers are utter garbage.

Most things branded Pittsburgh are, like Ben Roethlisberger.  

Super rapey?

1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 26

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CoX20euxz9KTCufZ5ECIyrCvQUIZGNdLVYSf1lptT6pA7dinMG1YIgCaeZjXDuqp