1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26
slowride
slowride Reader
11/26/14 7:10 p.m.

Great, thanks! My sockets are woefully unorganized, so I feel like anything would help.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
11/26/14 10:01 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: In reply to DWNSHFT: Solution: buy a bigger filter. You shouldn't be using such a tiny filter anyway.

I hear you. I ordered two of these filters from Amazon to fit my 2006 Subaru Outback XT (I needed a little more in my cart to get some deal). Anyway, I was so frustrated about having six cap wrenches that didn't fit and none that did, I contemplated just returning the filters and buying more NAPA Gold filters like I've been using. But doing some research, it appears that this is the new OEM filter for the car. Whaddya gonna do? So I decided I would just suck it up and buy a cap wrench to fit. Grrr, still not happy about it.

06HHR
06HHR Reader
12/4/14 3:17 p.m.

Anybody ever bought one of these? 3/8 VSR corded drill I need a cheap corded drill and got a coupon that brings the price down to $11.99. What say the hive?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/4/14 3:25 p.m.

Pass. I'm very happy with it. Need to buy more tools now!

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
6/20/16 9:32 p.m.

I'm surprised this thread has been dormant for more than a year.

Pass. Pulley Remover and Installer set. PN 40749.

I give it a solid B. The puller looks sketchy, but works quite well. The installer is fair. It needs a better, or maybe just bigger bearing.

And FoMoCo gets an F for the PS pump and pulley on the '05 Mercury sable. The pulley is plastic and likes to break for no reason other than it's old. The pump can't be removed or installed without first removing the pulley, the pulley remover tool shaft hits the AC hard lines, so you must jack up the engine a bit to use the tool.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/20/16 10:49 p.m.

I got my dad one of the low profile 2 ton jacks and it is a fantastic jack.

I have the bigger orange concrete mixer. Its not great but has held up well

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
6/20/16 11:25 p.m.

So far the $99 coupon code scanner, obd2 and abs, was worth the cash.

Only gripe is the datalink connector gets battery power and there is no reason to have to turn it on for it to work in this day of modern times.

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
6/21/16 7:24 a.m.
Antihero wrote: I got my dad one of the low profile 2 ton jacks and it is a fantastic jack.

It seems like just about every one of the aluminum racing jacks under $500-ish is the same jack regardless of the label on it. And yeah, they're pretty decent. The steel low-profile ones are too (but heavy).

Personally, the best HF tool I've bought is that stupid 1/2 drive extendable ratchet. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't have more teeth, but I've jumped on it fully extended, used it as a hammer, etc. and it just comes back asking for more.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
6/21/16 8:05 a.m.

Has anyone said the Hardy mechanics gloves? Decent at full price, great with a coupon for $4. I keep a pair in each car, toolbox, ect.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
8/26/16 3:57 p.m.

62840 "Vanguard" non contact voltage probe:Pass, seems to work as advertised, get near/touch the insulation of a live wire and it lights up/beeps every time with a slight delay, not bad for $5. I wouldn't trust it with the crappy included carbon zinc batteries though.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/27/16 3:45 p.m.

In reply to Brian:

Ive gpt the padded impact resistant ones. They work fine

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
8/27/16 4:12 p.m.

Microfiber cloths: Fail, if you want to use them to clean/polish glass. There's something in there, despite repeated washes, that leaves more streaks on the glass than you started with.

They're fine for anything else you would use a microfiber cloth for, I suppose.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
8/27/16 7:57 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: 62840 "Vanguard" non contact voltage probe:Pass, seems to work as advertised, get near/touch the insulation of a live wire and it lights up/beeps every time with a slight delay, not bad for $5. I wouldn't trust it with the crappy included carbon zinc batteries though.

Insider tip- you can test it by rubbing it on your shirt or pants before and after you use it.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
9/1/16 8:09 p.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote:
BrokenYugo wrote: 62840 "Vanguard" non contact voltage probe:Pass, seems to work as advertised, get near/touch the insulation of a live wire and it lights up/beeps every time with a slight delay, not bad for $5. I wouldn't trust it with the crappy included carbon zinc batteries though.
Insider tip- you can test it by rubbing it on your shirt or pants before and after you use it.

NEAT! I never would have thought of that, makes perfect sense though.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
9/1/16 8:11 p.m.

I'll give the pulley puller a pass, used it for the fourth time tonight and it still works effortlessly and is about what it costs to rent it from other places. :thumbsup:

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/1/16 8:17 p.m.

A+ on the metal cutting band saw

failboat
failboat UberDork
9/1/16 8:35 p.m.

Item#60372 Chicago tools 5 amp angle grinder

I like it. For years I have been tediously cutting metal stuff with a dremel. This makes me wonder why I wasted so much time and so many tiny cutting wheels.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
9/1/16 9:22 p.m.

Any word on the hatchet? I was considering a Fiskars X7 for my camping gear, but the HF hatchet after 20% coupon is around $5-6 vs. $30.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/1/16 9:33 p.m.
Brian wrote: Any word on the hatchet? I was considering a Fiskars X7 for my camping gear, but the HF hatchet after 20% coupon is around $5-6 vs. $30.

I love my Fiskars X7. After using it I wouldn't even consider a HF hatchet.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
9/1/16 9:43 p.m.
EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
9/1/16 10:18 p.m.
Brian wrote: Any word on the hatchet? I was considering a Fiskars X7 for my camping gear, but the HF hatchet after 20% coupon is around $5-6 vs. $30.

I have one that I bought for camping. Don't expect it to work "out of the box". Apparently, the knifemakers of India have a different idea of "sharp" than Americans do. After 20 minutes of properly sharpening it, you can get a decent edge and it will hold.

I'm sure I would be happier with a $20 Fiskars, but I really don't camp that much.

TR7
TR7 New Reader
9/1/16 11:13 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: I'll give the pulley puller a pass, used it for the fourth time tonight and it still works effortlessly and is about what it costs to rent it from other places. :thumbsup:

Bought one three days ago, broke it two days ago...

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
9/2/16 6:28 a.m.
TR7 wrote:
chandlerGTi wrote: I'll give the pulley puller a pass, used it for the fourth time tonight and it still works effortlessly and is about what it costs to rent it from other places. :thumbsup:

Wow, what broke? It's really just threaded rods and spacers/bearings.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
9/2/16 2:13 p.m.

In reply to Brian:

I might snag a pair or two of those gloves. All the gloves around casa de TJ have seen better days.

TR7
TR7 New Reader
9/2/16 11:48 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote:
TR7 wrote:
Wow, what broke? It's really just threaded rods and spacers/bearings.

I'm using the one with arms. The point of the threaded rod broke perpendicular to the rod. But it did not break off its swivel/joint, just made it wide and flat (didn't crush it, the whole tapered tip of the point actually fell off). Makes it kinda unusable if you want to get it centered and seated nicely. Weird, and probably a freak thing. Either way I was disappointed as I bought all the parts and tools I needed on the way home front work to get my truck back on the road that night. Nope. Didn't happen.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UiM5qlRHtfBcOp16tHP10Zez4wvbcH3qwYVEHzlfygvClJEGF7RuAUao7lmetG6X