Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
10/6/18 1:54 p.m.

I've got to go to Orlando last minute and the name brand car rentals  are running $50-$60 for a compact.

There are some budget companies I've never heard of that are suspiciously cheap. NU, Easirent (sp) and Priceless are quoting $14 a day.

I'll be carting my 83yr old mom around so itty bitty cars are a no go.

Any feedback would be hugely appreciated.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/6/18 2:11 p.m.

Turo?

Really though you kind of have to pay for what they're selling there. Rental car companies in Orlando really aren't hurting for customers. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
10/6/18 7:12 p.m.

We're usually able to find something in the $30 a day range; I think I found something through budget.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
10/6/18 8:05 p.m.

search google for free upgrade codes to get you a larger car for same $$$$

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/8/18 2:40 p.m.

Probably too late but I got a Turo in Orlando this past spring. Convertible for $30/day. I even got a ride to it from the airport but it took FOREVER for the bus to get there. Turo + uber would be better/faster

My friend introduced me to the site, he and another guy have an "investment" Corvette on there (currently disabled) https://turo.com/rentals/cars/mo/belton/chevrolet-corvette/215189?s=o2h7idKw

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/8/18 4:08 p.m.

Check out Southwest.com for car rentals---- occasionally you can find a good deal there.

Also check out these for cheap rates:

Discover Car Hire

Kayak.com

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/8/18 4:49 p.m.

The trouble with Orlando is too many tourists all wanting rentals. If you have to go to the  counter of a discount rental company you could wait hours with your elderly mom. My suggestion is to get the National ap and join the Emerald club. You can then go straight to the lot, pick out a nice comfy midsize and roll without any dicking around. It won't be dirt cheap but its not bad, and worth every penny in time and frustration saved. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/17/18 8:24 a.m.

I have also gotten deals through delta.com, even if not flying with them. 

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 New Reader
12/17/18 9:23 a.m.

I have Avis Preferred through work and can pick my car through their app as the plane is landing. Ended up booking a midsizer (Jetta or similar) for Rolex 24 coming up, I think it was $50/day or so. Every experience so far with them has been positive and you can skip any lines.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/18/18 7:13 a.m.

I've been blacklisted by every major national car rental company, there are 2 small independent ones at the Orlando airport that will still rent to me though. They're decent. 

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/18/18 8:09 a.m.
captdownshift said:

I've been blacklisted by every major national car rental company, there are 2 small independent ones at the Orlando airport that will still rent to me though. They're decent. 

I hope there's a fun story and not a mundane explanation as to why you're on the DNR list.  

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/18/18 8:37 a.m.

In reply to Tyler H :

Originally it was due to the fact that an upper intake manifold and gasket for a 16v neon was under $90 at one point and running a 150 dry shot, then returning a neon with a lunched motor. Then after ten years I was given a second chance, then when leaving PRI (back when it was in FL) I returned a Murano with an 3-4ft long alligator in the back of it.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/18/18 9:29 a.m.
captdownshift said:

In reply to Tyler H :

Originally it was due to the fact that an upper intake manifold and gasket for a 16v neon was under $90 at one point and running a 150 dry shot, then returning a neon with a lunched motor. Then after ten years I was given a second chance, then when leaving PRI (back when it was in FL) I returned a Murano with an 3-4ft long alligator in the back of it.

Dang, they uptight.

car39
car39 HalfDork
12/18/18 3:44 p.m.

Payless is where Avis dumps it's less desirable merchandise, high mileage, damaged, funky interior smells.  Usually much cheaper than the regular Avis car.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/22/19 9:57 a.m.

Canoooooooe

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GQmdADXxjLOxJddksCS5L4CFbcFxVxSq4z09gu8dscdiMYLYsXWDmEwpCQGyCjjB