1 2
Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/30/16 2:56 p.m.

Actually, tall seats are a selling point. My daughter is not huge, and definitely prefers a high seating position. Nice to know some real data about the transmission failures, other than "it's a glass grenade that could go off at any moment." It would probably get a fluid change anyway unless that's likely to cause a problem.

Timing belt, or chain...? What's the service interval on that?

Thanks again for everybody's input.

JimS
JimS New Reader
11/30/16 9:04 p.m.

I bought a 2002 TL-S new and a 2000 TL used. My tran in the S started shifting funny in the first couple of years. Acura replaced it at no cost and extended the warranty. In 2014 I sold the car to my brother in Ma and he uses it daily. No transmission problem since the replacement. My 2000 had no probs and my nephew has it now and no problems with the transmission ever. I love those cars.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/1/16 6:54 a.m.

OK, I'm going to see the $3300 2003 TL-s and the $2600 2004 SAAB. Both have a little over 100k on them.

Any major points I should look for on either car, besides the usual? Thanks.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
12/1/16 7:30 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Our car was my wife's dd. When we bought an SUV to replace it, the seating position was the single reason I didn't keep the car for my dd. I just never understood whey they were so high.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/1/16 4:24 p.m.

I drove the $3300 TL-s this afternoon. Inside it was clean and everything worked. Needs a new rearview mirror - glass is cloudy. The drivetrain seemed great. Silky smooth engine, firm transmission, no scary bits. Tracked and braked pretty straight; good pedal feel, and struts seem good. After 5 or 6 miles of driving the front brakes were warm, the right rear was really warm, and the left rear was cold... hmmm. LR also clearly had a new rotor that RR did not. Not sure what's going on with that.

Outside was not as nice as it looks in the CL pictures. Plus: both headlights are hazed the same, so I'm not worried about a corner repair any longer. Minus: it's shiny but pretty scratched up, with a couple bruises on the bumper corners. And this:

That is visible in the CL pics but it's worse in person. What looks like a ridgeline down the QP is actually just a reflection of the paving edge, and there are no creases in the dent. I know it will never look right, but can it be minimized with paintless removal? they can go in through the door jamb, filler door, and wheel arch. I wouldn't need it to be perfect, just convex instead of concave.

It drove nicely for a 13-year-old 100k car with a $3300 asking price. Really nicely - you guys were right. It felt solid and planted and comfortable. Not sporty, but it sure was nice to tool around in and it didn't sweat the small stuff. Lots of space and comfortable seats, too.

/edit/ It wasn't showing any CEL/MIL (or recent reset), but my reader pulled up a pending P1457. Something about the evaporator system. Quick phone research seems to say this is fairly common and not a hugely difficult or expensive fix, but input is appreciated.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/1/16 4:28 p.m.

Duke, I believe the transmission fluid should be changed every 30k miles. I usually change it three times with a 5 mile loop drive in between.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/1/16 4:34 p.m.

Right after that I also drove the $2600 SAAB 9-3. It also had around 100k on it, maybe 10k more than the TL-s and $700 less asking.

It was pretty decent too, it seems. A little cleaner and straighter outside but not as nice inside - either in appointments or condition. A lot of the pushbuttons and high-use surrounds had the finish peeling or gone.

It drove OK. Absolutely did not feel as nice or solid as the TL-s, but no complaints. Just not as much car as the Acura. Had enough pep with the 2.0T engine. The transmission shifted solidly and didn't flare, but it was not as seamless as the TL. brake pedal had some travel but felt solid; just not as confidence-inspiring. Smaller car and not as fancy - manual seats (not sure of the Linear has heaters or not), leather not as nice. It didn't track straight - well was off center a few degrees, and it wandered a bit. I assume it has a toe-out issue, but why?

Idled and sounded perfectly fine. No codes or pending codes. No rust I could see or feel by reaching underneath.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/1/16 4:38 p.m.

In reply to Slippery:

OK, thanks. That's within my reach.

The TL-s wasn't showing any codes or evidence of recent reset, but I did read a pending P1457 about the evaporator system.

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
12/2/16 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

Duke, sorry, just saw this. I didn't realize I had an old email address in my profile here. Will send you PM now.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/5/16 8:05 a.m.

Tomorrow I'm going to look at this: $3300 2002 Infiniti G20

It sure looks pretty minty in the pictures, and it's located in a nice neighborhood. I'm hoping it's a 1-owner vehicle and from the description it sounds like it's got a solid service history. It's got just over 90k on it.

I hear these things are anvils of reliability, at least with the MTX. Any known issues with the ATX?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/5/16 10:13 a.m.

In reply to Duke:

I know of no real faults with those beside the fact that they RUST.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/6/16 8:31 a.m.

Drove the $3300 G20 this morning. Not quite as minty as the pictures, but pretty clean and solid. Exterior looks fine with just a few minor dings and no visible rust. I didn't get underneath it (no lift) but there's not even the smallest amount of bubbling or crust visible. It doesn't look like a repaint. Trim is all there and no wrinkles anywhere.

It's not a 1-owner car like I thought. Interior upholstery is peely on the sides of the seats. The alcantara center panels need a good scrub but there are no torn seams or anything. The leather steering wheel and ATX shifter look great. It also smells a bit of cigarettes, though billed as a non-smoker's car. That could have been the guy showing it to me, though. It didn't have seat heaters, which I wish it did.

Didn't appear to have any mechanical issues and OBDII scanner was clean. The transmission slid through the upshifts a little when it was cold, but I was also on it a bit and pulling out up a steep grade. 2 minutes later and going on flat land from a stop it shifted perfectly fine. The best thing about it is 92,000 miles.

At $3300 they're asking right about Edmunds private party value for a clean example. I'd be tempted to offer $2900 and go to $3000, but I'm going to keep shopping since she has a working car now.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/6/16 9:53 a.m.

Some other options:

$4899 2007 Maxima - a little over budget, and a few more miles than I'd like for that money, but it looks really clean. CVT worries me.

$3200 2004 Sentra SE-R - didn't think the SE-R came with an automatic? On budget, looks passable, I'm a bit worried about the quarter panels from those pics. A little basic.

$4500 2006 SAAB 9-3 - back to the SAABs, but this one looks clean, and it's a later model year.

$4900 2002 XJ Vanden Plas - what could possibly go wrong?

$3500 2001 ES300 - sure wish this wasn't the same color they all are.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/6/16 11:26 a.m.

As much as I love SAABs you gotta get the Jag.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/6/16 11:50 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/6/16 1:59 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

That's a real fancy Altima

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
12/6/16 5:53 p.m.

Wasn't there a thing a while back where not even the 5-speed could make the Camry fun?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/7/16 12:45 p.m.

$4450 2002 Altima creampuff - 61k on the clock, 1 real owner, a big stack of service receipts.

Why, oh WHY, does it have to be this color combination?!

If it had a grey interior, I'd have probably put a deposit on it already.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/1/17 6:43 p.m.

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/1AA0EA71

$5k for a 61,000 mile Hyundai Azera Limited. Looks to be all the options, based on the description. No pictures. Assuming it's straight and clean enough, why shouldn't I buy this?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/4/17 7:06 p.m.

http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/1A7BF400

$5,000 asking for a 58,000 mile 2009 Sonata GLS. 4 cylinder, manual. Only problem I see is it was a New Hampshire / Mass car, wholesales to Philly. A couple open recalls - one for corrosion of the rear crossmember. So that would be replaced under warranty.

Do these things rust anywhere else?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kkYvD8amPpqlAHHmxiCE0IVqNzOGBNJLFacq6WZeSFb9raVuW9Y0qPenw2yulpHw