mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
9/20/09 9:57 a.m.

I want to find the guy who designed this truck and buy him a beer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/jeep-FJ-3-Postal-stamp-van-collector-rat-rod-1961_W0QQitemZ120469826186QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item1c0c8faa8a&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
9/20/09 10:58 a.m.

Rat Rod? With a 4 cyl. that doesn't even turn over?

I don't get it.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
9/20/09 11:44 a.m.

wow that is one hell of a rare truck.. I've seen cab overs and all sorts of wacky crap at an old jeep junkyard in Ferndale PA... (RIP Eccher Trent jeeps in ferndale) but never one of those

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
9/20/09 12:29 p.m.

I do believe that there is an orange electric drag racing one in the NW...cool looking little trucks.

dan_efi
dan_efi Reader
9/20/09 1:08 p.m.

Any guesses to what the single pedal controls?

Is that speedometer marked from 1 to 9 mph?

Carson
Carson Dork
9/20/09 1:38 p.m.

86k miles is a loooooong way at 9mph WOT.

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
9/20/09 1:55 p.m.
dan_efi wrote: Any guesses to what the single pedal controls?

The big pedal is the brakes. The metal rod to the right of it is the sideways pivoting gas pedal.

The early RHD jeeps like this were often parted out for hot rods. The steering box works great when pivoted with a pitman arm sticking straight up for side-steer (common on hotrods) and the rear axle was usually one of a few medium-heavy duty axles with a very short width appropriate for a Model-A or Model-T bodied car.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/20/09 2:29 p.m.

There is a very similar (almost identical) restored mail truck around here, but I think that it's shown as a Studebaker. I wonder if the bodies were made under contract for several different manufacturers.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
9/20/09 3:49 p.m.

That's pretty cute.

Will
Will Reader
9/20/09 3:50 p.m.

I'm sorry, but is that a cafeteria-style chair (not seat) I see for the driver?

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
9/20/09 4:05 p.m.

I don't see what's supposed to make it so cute.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
9/20/09 4:10 p.m.

Oxford Dictionary definition of "Cute" - Ugly but interested

Definitely fits

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
9/20/09 6:10 p.m.

A lot of old delivery trucks were designed for the driver to be standing.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
9/20/09 6:49 p.m.

Very interesting.

See, this should be in that other thread, "Ebay Typos"

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
9/20/09 9:01 p.m.

OK, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool (whatever that means) Jeep guy, but that thing is UGLY.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry Reader
9/20/09 10:11 p.m.

It's sort of like a ice cream truck that has a mental disability. I'd drive it.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/21/09 12:49 a.m.
dan_efi wrote: Any guesses to what the single pedal controls? Is that speedometer marked from 1 to 9 mph?

No, that truck just revs to 9k

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
9/21/09 10:35 a.m.

A kid in high school had one, his dad owned the local Terminix store. His was a longer wheelbase though, it had more tin behind the rear axle. If you pile four or five high schoolers up against the rear doors you could pop the front wheels off the ground. We all got detention when the back doors popped open and six kids tumbled out onto the ground right in front of the school office.

4 cylinder Jeep, tough to kill.

Dan

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
9/21/09 10:45 a.m.

My dad was a Willys/Jeep dealer from '45 to '64 and I don't recall ever seeing one of those. Not that means anything.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 New Reader
9/21/09 7:36 p.m.

Hahaha that is one goofy truck/van! Never seen anything like it before!

CLynn85
CLynn85 New Reader
9/21/09 8:50 p.m.

It's like they intended for a formed/curved one piece front windshield like the 50's cars/trucks, but the budget didn't allow it and they had to settle for a piecemeal of flat glass in a bomber-esque fashion. It's quirky, kinda cool, but wouldn't put a huge price tag on it.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/21/09 8:53 p.m.

I remember seeing those trucks when I was a kid. I always kind of liked them, they reminded me of big Tonka trucks.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
9/22/09 9:44 a.m.

There's one of those in substantially better shape parked at an auction house in NW Delaware, at a place that also has a bunch of old farm equipment around. I believe they use(d) it to drive around the auction lot while the caller squawked. It's even smaller than it looks in those pictures.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YoZiJZ6WZSzu64PJiAVp8WUmROrHDOUEvgA36fN6nXaGimbWP77KgsKRscWoescC