jdbuilder
jdbuilder New Reader
7/4/13 9:59 p.m.

I am deep into the honey moon phase with a 1997 BMW E36 M3/4/5. Cant say this car is particularly great at one thing. Its slightly under powered for today's standards and kind of sad when you think of not getting the euro M3 which was built the way this car was meant to be.

Despite its short comings, you get over them the more you drive it. In fact the more I drive it, the more I want to make babies with it. Which brings me to my next point... how has this car not been recreated? If Im Tata motors looking build a new car, save money on engineers and testing unproven designs Im building a knock off M3. Screw innovation, the perfect formula for a bad ass entry level car that people could enjoy is right there. No need to reinvent the wheel. I cant even imagine how cheaply you could build this car today. BRZ, Miata, etc would not have anything on affordability.

Just my rant in between driving sessions.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/13 10:25 p.m.

look into the 325 intake mod.. The M50 intake on the 325 and the 95 M3 were bigger than than intakes on the 328 and 96+ M3. Good for 10 RWHP

jdbuilder
jdbuilder New Reader
7/5/13 6:27 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

Nice, in all my googling I hadnt found that! Definitely on the list now

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
7/5/13 7:28 a.m.

we put one on miatame's 99 and it smoothes out the huge fat torque bump around 3500 rpm but replaces it with breathing that keeps pulling until fuel cutoff. it actually felt like a nice small cam upgrade almost. he used a kit, eurosport or evosport or something like that, that is a billet chunk that mates the obd2 hosing under the intake to the obd1 manifold and makes it much easier to swap and significantly cleaner looking when finished.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
7/5/13 7:32 a.m.

Old things we ought to be making now? This thread needs more .46 caliber air rifle

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/13 8:17 a.m.

I'm just bummed that there aren't more M3/4/5s, ie E46, etc...

That's the car I need.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
7/5/13 8:26 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: look into the 325 intake mod.. The M50 intake on the 325 and the 95 M3 were bigger than than intakes on the 328 and 96+ M3. Good for 10 RWHP

I've never heard of this. I actually want to buy an E36 M3 JUST so I can do this mod. How sick am I that I want to buy another car just so I can do a mod that gives me 10 HP.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/5/13 9:09 a.m.

I've owned 2 different 1995 M3s. I LOVED them and have been considering buying another. My second one had an Active Autowerke "track pipe" and their Gen 3 exhaust. It was simply incredible to listen to. If I can find another clean e36 M3, I'd slap those two items on in a heartbeat!!

jdbuilder
jdbuilder New Reader
7/5/13 1:11 p.m.

@ Mad Machine and Wilber; Funny how now when i throttle it, Im like "hey it does fall flat in the upper RPM's!!"

@ Joey M; Exactly my point exactly

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
7/5/13 1:49 p.m.

I'm on my second '95 M3. Every time I think I want something different I get in and go run an errand and realize that this is damn near the perfect car. I'd only change it into a wagon with 4 doors and 4000lb towing capacity to make it ideal.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/5/13 2:54 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: Old things we ought to be making now? This thread needs more .46 caliber air rifle

That's pretty darn cool!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/5/13 11:13 p.m.

Joey- They did reincarnate it. I watched a video a while back with somebody hunting antelope in Africa with something like this.

http://www.pyramydair.com/article/_50_Caliber_Dragon_Slayer_Air_Rifle_December_2007/45

A quick Google search turned up more.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
7/5/13 11:27 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Joey- They did reincarnate it. I watched a video a while back with somebody hunting antelope in Africa with something like this. http://www.pyramydair.com/article/_50_Caliber_Dragon_Slayer_Air_Rifle_December_2007/45 A quick Google search turned up more.

great price, but 4-5 shots per fill is not the same as 20 shots per fill, or 20 shots/minute

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mP6ukMPOr4iHhQvT5qLb0QPrp1YHohtrC9QxBOyyPqgcpBFsyquGGUOUKBbjhBBP