1 2 3 4
jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
4/13/15 12:23 p.m.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-honda-s660-mid-engine-roadster-first-drive-review

The export version would be a 1.0 liter turbo with 125HP. That would make it perform about as well as an NA or NB Miata. Probably better since it's stiffer than the old S2000. With the displacement bump, it would be called the S1000 here in America.

American Honda, please take my money!

kanaric
kanaric Dork
4/13/15 2:28 p.m.

If they released this in the US and it was appropriately priced as well as given a displacement bump I would trade in my mustang for it.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
4/13/15 2:43 p.m.

This stands out to me.

Car & Driver said: All that grip and the fact that the traction control can’t be switched off means there’s no oversteer to play around with.
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/15 2:54 p.m.

Traction control can't be switched off they say?

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
4/13/15 3:01 p.m.

I like this much better than the Polaris Slingshot. I sat in one of those the other day and it fit me well. Shifter felt nice too. Gymnastic-y to climb in and out of however.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
4/13/15 3:14 p.m.

If this comes to the US for under 20k base, I am on board. It will likely get 45 mpgs highway which makes it a legit commuter for me.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
4/13/15 3:31 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Boy, those doors look high! I know it's an ongoing trend, but I just can't stand the "sitting in a bathtub" feel. Judging by the photos, I'm not sure If my head would even be above the door!

Oh no, you would be about half out of the top of the car if you're simply an average sized American. Kei cars are freaking tiny.

For example, their size is mandated by Japanese law to fall into the "Less Expensive to Own" category, so it'll probably be the same size as this Suzuki Cappuccino with a 2.5RS behind it. The Kei's are also extremely narrow.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
4/13/15 3:48 p.m.

That looks awesome. Less is more.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
4/13/15 3:50 p.m.

Just clicked through all the pictures in the C&D article. I really like that. I would seriously consider selling the Corvette to buy one.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/13/15 4:28 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
Joe Gearin wrote: Boy, those doors look high! I know it's an ongoing trend, but I just can't stand the "sitting in a bathtub" feel. Judging by the photos, I'm not sure If my head would even be above the door!
Oh no, you would be about half out of the top of the car if you're simply an average sized American. Kei cars are freaking tiny. For example, their size is mandated by Japanese law to fall into the "Less Expensive to Own" category, so it'll probably be the same size as this Suzuki Cappuccino with a 2.5RS behind it. The Kei's are also extremely narrow.

I'm not an average sized american----- I can still see my feet! I'm actually closer to an averaged sized Japanese person---- 5'8" or so.

I love the idea of a lightweight, simple machine. Hopefully they can pull it off--- although it would be a hard sell in the U.S.

airwerks
airwerks Reader
4/13/15 4:32 p.m.

Thanks for provoking my Cappuccino lust yet again.....

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
4/13/15 4:55 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

I am 6'2" and would still make this work. I DDed an MR2 Spyder for almost a year. I think I can make this happen.

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
4/13/15 5:29 p.m.

I have had 2 S600 roadsters, a 65 and a 66 which I raced in H Production. Also had a S800 coupe. The 660 interests me greatly. It would look great parked next to my S2000!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/13/15 8:27 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: "Below is the spec sheet for those who can read kanji, hiragana or katakana:" Does that mean that the author did not know what language it was written in, or are there three language in Japan, or three names for their characters?

Japanese has three different matchstick-piles of writing. And it all depends on if it is a native Japanese word, a loanword from Chinese, a loanword from anywhere else (which gets spelled phonetically AFTER the word gets hammered into their consonant/vowel-pair language structure). And just because Japanese is a language spoken by humans, this isn't really a "rule", but can be broken for coolness's sake or other reasons.

And then there's romaji, which I think of as "Japanese dumbed down so Westerners can read it"

Knurled
4/13/15 8:32 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: This car sucks. Needs at least 300hp.
Didn't people say the same thing about the 1990 Miata?

And look at the industry that has sprung up around giving 300hp to 1990 Miatas!

Knurled
4/13/15 8:37 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I'm not sure who in the US wants a 63HP 1800lb car with marginally more carrying capacity than a Vespa yet still infinitely harder to park than one.

I dunno, I see a LOT of ForTwos on the road.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
4/13/15 8:47 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote:
moparman76_69 wrote: There are three parts to Japanese written language.
Not to derail the thread, but really? Wow. How does that work? I am fascinated. I will have to do some Googling.

I think he ,want there are three different written languages in Japanese. Kanji, Katakana, and hiragana. Nothing fancy.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
4/14/15 12:11 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: "Below is the spec sheet for those who can read kanji, hiragana or katakana:" Does that mean that the author did not know what language it was written in, or are there three language in Japan, or three names for their characters? Either way, cool little car that we will never see.

There are three different character sets used in written Japanese. Two of them, Hiragana and Katakana, are phonetic, meaning the symbols represent sounds. Hiragana is used for Japanese words. Katakana is used for words adopted from other languages. Kanji are the 3000+ characters that Japan borrowed from the Chinese written language many hundreds of years ago. If it sounds confusing, it is.

It is highly unlikely we'll see any Kei cars in North America. Kei class cars are really small and I doubt they could sell enough to pay for the cost of safety testing them.

In regards to horsepower, whether it is codified into law or just an informal understanding with regulators, Kei class vehicles never officially have more than 63hp.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
4/14/15 9:37 a.m.
airwerks wrote: Thanks for provoking my Cappuccino lust yet again.....

Just to assist

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
4/14/15 11:18 a.m.

Here's something you don't get to say every day: I really like it, but not sure I could go backwards on the headroom, power and storage space I have with my NA Miata.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
4/14/15 11:26 a.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

Oh no, you're still a giant compared to what they design things for.....

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
4/14/15 11:40 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I'm not sure who in the US wants a 63HP 1800lb car with marginally more carrying capacity than a Vespa yet still infinitely harder to park than one.

VW beetles did pretty good with similar specs...

kanaric
kanaric Dork
4/14/15 12:15 p.m.
airwerks wrote: Thanks for provoking my Cappuccino lust yet again.....

Next year you can start importing them, lol. Start looking.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
4/14/15 12:22 p.m.

A number of people have imported Honda Beats into America and have them plated for street use. I really need to figure out how to do that if the S660 doesn't arrive in showrooms.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
4/14/15 12:33 p.m.
jimbob_racing wrote: A number of people have imported Honda Beats into America and have them plated for street use. I really need to figure out how to do that if the S660 doesn't arrive in showrooms.

wait a year then it becomes easymode to import a beat.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eKO1nVJjMj8yzpHS4XHdXj2FMnFq09vOKmQDVFWX3lnxa72LZTnZtcPnsuBJrsNI