bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad New Reader
7/27/09 10:33 p.m.

Over the last couple of days, a 96-98 cobra has occupied my car desires. Then I quickly came to the conclusion that I am still a poor student and dropping 8 to 10 large on a car is somewhat out the window. Since I already have a miata, why not make it into the hooligan car a cobra is. The miata is a completly stock 1.6 model that is in good mechanical shape and slightly rough asthetic shape. Driving a car that looks rough really doesn't bother me too much but the slowness is another issue.

In the board's humble opinion what is a good all around method for pepping up a miata without tearing open the motor. I'm planning on megasquirting the car in the not to distant future to enable future modding. Would a small snail (gt25) or a old jackson supercharger be a better route to go? Low to midrange power is the goal, peak numbers are nice but in V8 speak I'm more concerned with the area under the curve.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/27/09 10:38 p.m.

Go with the GT25.

http://flyinmiata.com/turbos/janel.php

And spend some time on the suspension. Put in a set of good springs and shocks and some R888s (now that SM is going to RA-1, they should pop up cheap) and work on adding some lightness.

The only way to make a car more fun in a straight line is to add more power, and there's no end to that slippery slope. But all you have to do to make a car more fun in a corner is add 1 mph to your entry speed.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
7/27/09 10:59 p.m.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1141539

this one is already improved http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1106555

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1133848

come onnnnnn

I enjoy mine, but cobras do have their weak points (CHASSIS!)

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/28/09 8:44 a.m.

Go turbo. The Greddy would be the cheapest way to go. I have a complete kit with bipes and an Edge racing manifold I'd let go for a grand.

The Brown Stig
The Brown Stig GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/28/09 9:22 a.m.
  • I have owned a roughed up Miata and a mean Fox body.

You are deciding whether or not to spend $5,000 making an old and slightly tired Miata faster or spending $10,000 on buying a stock Mustang Cobra.

You must consider a little more than the initial ouutlay of cash:

1: Will modifying the Miata cause other issues not seen at stock power levels? Suspension, brakes, clutch, differential, safety items, tune, engine seals and components, exhaust, tires all may need improvement or replacement more rapidly.

2: Will you spend more than your Miata is worth?

3: Will the amount of three years of operation (fuel, maintenance, tickets etc) in a boosted Miata cost you more than a stock Cobra over the same time period?

4: If you bought a stock cobra would you be happy with a stock Cobra?

5: Have you considered psychotherapy? err... I mean a Mustang GT with a centrifugal supercharger? or... a LS series Camarobird? M3? TurboYugo? etc?

Just pointing out some obvious questions.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/28/09 11:46 a.m.
Keith wrote: The only way to make a car more fun in a straight line is to add more power, and there's no end to that slippery slope. But all you have to do to make a car more fun in a corner is add 1 mph to your entry speed.

there is iron in Keith's words.

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad New Reader
7/28/09 12:46 p.m.

Sure some money will have to be poured into other areas of the miata to bring it truly up to snuff, but on the same token a 10+ year old mustang will need much of the same tlc. The miata out of the box has comparable if not better handling, gas mileage even if boosted will be marginally better, and as far as exceeding the value of the car goes, of course it will book is only $1500 or so and so far I have less than $1000 in it. I personally know most of the history on the miata (60k on shortblock, about the same on the clutch) a mustang would be an unknown as far as past experience. And finally, of course I wouldn't be happy with 300hp in the stang I'd most likely drop a couple grand into the power side of things on that car too!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lnxu7y9q5nyQKRftRrlqGUVOohoVRrjrbOoVikexXn9SqC3aFQEEcPWmM97KrX5U