1 2 3
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
5/28/16 12:30 p.m.

Well, the truck is sold. Project Drift Barge is going ahead sooner than expected.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry New Reader
5/28/16 12:40 p.m.

We drive and drift these all the time. No problem with the auto. You would either be in 1st or 2nd all or most of the time anyway most likely.

A manual is awesome and lets you clutch kick but not necessary.

Worst part of the Vics is no steering angle. Fixable and livable but not as forgiving or fun.

Mustangs pre 05 have same prob.

But everything is fixable :)

Catatafish
Catatafish Reader
5/28/16 1:33 p.m.

@g_body_man

Hey I live in Kelowna too, need a hand on your project?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
5/28/16 2:38 p.m.

In reply to Catatafish:

That would be awesome. All I really have to do now is to convince my parents to let me buy a Panther.

Ross413
Ross413 Reader
5/28/16 2:49 p.m.

I fully agree that these are an awesome platform. I have been drifting in a slushbox LS400 with a hydraulic handbrake, it is no fun when you are in second or third and lock up the rears to initiate and the trans has the audacity to drop down to first... On the other hand.

The Vic has an amazing suspension to do just about anything with. Drag race, road course, auto x, drift. There have been almost zero instances of wheel hop or any other poor handling traits, IMHO. Grab a P71 swap the front bar out for a softer one, Addco rear bar, stiffen the rear springs. Done. The Auto will do fine if you have the confidence to throw it around with speed. The thing is silly controllable also. Really a confidence inspiring car, considering how heavy they are.

Spend the bucks on the newer/nicer one. It will be cheaper and easier to modify and comes way better prepped.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
5/28/16 3:17 p.m.

03+ police package is what you want

pres589
pres589 UberDork
5/28/16 3:53 p.m.

I personally would put a posi in the thing and forget about welding the diff.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
5/28/16 5:44 p.m.

Bad news: I talked to my parents, and another car that is big and/or has a V8 is Verboten . But don't worry, I have a plan for something a little grippier in the pipeline.

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 HalfDork
5/28/16 8:03 p.m.

Miata

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
5/28/16 8:34 p.m.

In reply to Blitzed306:

More like Toyota Echo on coils with a short shifter, mainly because the cheapest Miata here is $1k out of my total budget.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/28/16 8:37 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man:

Bonus points if you find a blitz supercharger intended for a 1st Gen scion xb or xa to strap to the echo (and if it's an echo hatch)

Ross413
Ross413 Reader
5/28/16 8:44 p.m.

Canada eh. Has to be an Echo hatch. Has. To. Be.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
5/28/16 10:47 p.m.

Well if those two arent polar opposites.

Just do what i did when i was younger. Hey dad look at my new car. Dammit son i told you not to buy that..well yeah but i..forgot? Dads refered to me as his automotive hero since i was 13 because my car "addiction" has saved him probably 20 or 30k. Once you can do something with a wrench other than bash E36 M3 your parents will praise you for all the money you saved them is basically what im trying to spit out.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/28/16 11:41 p.m.

Maybe this is a dumb question but....why would we dump a truck for a project you hadnt cleared woth your parents?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
5/28/16 11:52 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

I asked them if I could sell my truck for something else. Their answer was "I don't see a problem with that."

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/28/16 11:55 p.m.
Ross413 wrote: Canada eh. Has to be an Echo hatch. Has. To. Be.

Stoptheeconobox?

Catatafish
Catatafish Reader
5/28/16 11:58 p.m.

What is your budget?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
5/29/16 12:04 a.m.

In reply to Catatafish:

About $2k.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
5/29/16 12:11 a.m.
chiodos wrote: Well if those two arent polar opposites. Just do what i did when i was younger. Hey dad look at my new car. Dammit son i told you not to buy that..well yeah but i..forgot? Dads refered to me as his automotive hero since i was 13 because my car "addiction" has saved him probably 20 or 30k. Once you can do something with a wrench other than bash E36 M3 your parents will praise you for all the money you saved them is basically what im trying to spit out.

You know, in BC, it doesn't say that they have to sign the title for you, just that you have to obtain parental consent before buying a car. I wonder if the words "I don't see a problem with that." are good enough.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/29/16 12:21 a.m.

This goes back to the old swmbo dodging tactic- it is better to ask forgiveness than permission. I assume it holds true for parents.

Also, if they nix a v8 but not rwd, im sure some of us can figure out several budget ways for you to get your slide giggles. On the surface a volvo wagon looks like a good plan, as an example......

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
5/29/16 1:25 a.m.

I didn't get to be the man I am today by not doing stuff that was verboten. Not that I recommend becoming the man I am today.

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
5/29/16 7:52 a.m.

My attitude with the parents was "You can tell me what car to buy when I'm spending your money. But this is my money, so I get to pick the car."

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/29/16 11:23 a.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: In reply to Catatafish: About $2k.

Talk to Aussie. If $2,000 Canadian is near $1,300-1,500 US, you're in business for an 03+. Gubmint auctions, dude.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
5/29/16 9:59 p.m.

It looks like the Grand Marquis is back on the table, along with another unexpected choice - the NA Miata.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/29/16 10:58 p.m.
rslifkin wrote: My attitude with the parents was "You can tell me what car to buy when I'm spending your money. But this is my money, so I get to pick the car."

That was perfectly aligned with my parents attitude of "If you want to drive a car you will buy it, maintain it, and pay for your own insurance..."

They signed a waiver with their insurance company that I was not insured to drive any of their vehicles and if I was driving one of their cars and was involved in an accident the insurance company was not financially responsible. I drove a vehicle that was registered to my parents one time from the day I turned 16 until I had my own, separate residence...

Not being negative because they weren't in a financial position to insure a teenage boy, but they obviously had exactly zero input related to what vehicles I owned or drove ever. But I have managed to have at least one legally registered and insured vehicle from the day after I got my driver's license at 16 up to today.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U01TGjk70rbBjtGWG87cJSqGcZ1b67jhd07FLBKZmYQhEsk5RMrU2asRavX0IRZ9