1 2 3
mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/29/16 11:06 p.m.
secretariata wrote:
rslifkin wrote: My attitude with the parents was "You can tell me what car to buy when I'm spending your money. But this is my money, so I get to pick the car."
That was perfectly aligned with my parents attitude of "If you want to drive a car you will buy it, maintain it, and pay for your own insurance..." They signed a waiver with their insurance company that I was not insured to drive any of their vehicles and if I was driving one of their cars and was involved in an accident the insurance company was not financially responsible. I drove a vehicle that was registered to my parents one time from the day I turned 16 until I had my own, separate residence... Not being negative because they weren't in a financial position to insure a teenage boy, but they obviously had exactly zero input related to what vehicles I owned or drove ever. But I have managed to have at least one legally registered and insured vehicle from the day after I got my driver's license at 16 up to today.

I am headed down this dark amd scary road soon. Swmbo 2.0 has a 16 year old daughter. Daughter has no job, no money, and thinks she's getting a jeep. Lolnope. If its on my insurance, and you aren't paying anything, you are getting a corolla.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/29/16 11:57 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I am headed down this dark amd scary road soon. Swmbo 2.0 has a 16 year old daughter. Daughter has no job, no money, and thinks she's getting a jeep. Lolnope. If its on my insurance, and you aren't paying anything, you are getting a corolla.

Corolla is better than $3 tennis shoes from the Salvation Army store...

My first ride was a Pinto with over 100k miles that wouldn't go 35mph on the drive home. It started a trend of fixer uppers that led to $profits$.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
5/30/16 12:28 a.m.
mndsm wrote:
secretariata wrote:
rslifkin wrote: My attitude with the parents was "You can tell me what car to buy when I'm spending your money. But this is my money, so I get to pick the car."
That was perfectly aligned with my parents attitude of "If you want to drive a car you will buy it, maintain it, and pay for your own insurance..." They signed a waiver with their insurance company that I was not insured to drive any of their vehicles and if I was driving one of their cars and was involved in an accident the insurance company was not financially responsible. I drove a vehicle that was registered to my parents one time from the day I turned 16 until I had my own, separate residence... Not being negative because they weren't in a financial position to insure a teenage boy, but they obviously had exactly zero input related to what vehicles I owned or drove ever. But I have managed to have at least one legally registered and insured vehicle from the day after I got my driver's license at 16 up to today.
I am headed down this dark amd scary road soon. Swmbo 2.0 has a 16 year old daughter. Daughter has no job, no money, and thinks she's getting a jeep. Lolnope. If its on my insurance, and you aren't paying anything, you are getting a corolla.

So much nope. Unless you can get a decent Jeep for $1500, forget it. My sticking point is that in BC, your parents have to give you permission to buy a car if you're under 18 - even using my own money.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/16 1:03 a.m.

In reply to mndsm:

No job, no money? No car. Why would you hand someone a car if they aren't prepared to take care of it?

Get a job and some money, learn to take care of a car (change a tire, the oil, check fluids, basic stuff).

Driving is a privelege, not a right.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/30/16 1:09 a.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: In reply to mndsm: No job, no money? No car. Why would you hand someone a car if they aren't prepared to take care of it? Get a job and some money, learn to take care of a car (change a tire, the oil, check fluids, basic stuff). Driving is a privelege, not a right.

Due to location, car is a neccesity for job. We're moving out of tourist hell and swmbo doesn't want to cart her all over. Grandpa already offered to foot the bill on it (kid is so ridiculously entitled/spoiled, i just shake my head) but the sticking point will be me. I flat out refuse to maintain whatever jeep you get for teenager money, and i think its a dumb as E36 M3 idea anyhow. Kid forgets to empty the damn dishwasher. No way shes getting a license any time aoon. No jeep.

Her mother and i grew up learning how to car. Swmbo actually took auto shop in school. I taught myself becausey family thought parenting class was smarter than shop class.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6X20CH6pZLu03YAZxmLv7KfFdAfH28Ny3vexDQs7c2AoxSFaY6AeKMiOW4xiEwrs