1 2 3
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/20 1:24 p.m.

Less than a glass H4, I think. And we're back to "how good do you want your headlights to be?" :)

Seriously, come up with an aluminum headlight cover and you're saving the bulk of the weight with minimal screwing around. Those covers are made of depleted uranium and have the thickest gauge steel in the entire car.

mw
mw Dork
2/18/20 2:02 p.m.

When I was building a light NA, I found that the trunk lid was really heavy. If you can replace or gut it easily, that weight that doesn't really effect street ability. 
We have been using a lithium RC battery for a few years in the SSM Datsun. It works really well and we have never trickle charged it. Just disconnect it when we aren't using the car. Even when it sits for 6 months in sub zero winter.  

Keith Tanner
2/18/20 2:10 p.m.

I've done trunk lids, but I don't think I have records of the weight. Both were pinned or bolted on. Note that a pinned trunk is a pain in the ass, but not as much as one that's bolted.

Still weatherproof.

Removed parts, not weatherproof.

Keith Tanner
2/18/20 2:13 p.m.

While we're at the back of the car - rear tie-downs and the associated horns. Surprisingly heavy. Unbolt, trim the rear skin, remove the black plastic impact beam. Saves a noticeable amount of weight at the cost of impact protection. For a tow point, I added a strap that's bolted to a welded point on the frame. You end up with the following - not shown are the two big chunks of steel that were cut off.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
2/18/20 3:53 p.m.

Trade it in on an mr2 :-p'

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
2/18/20 10:45 p.m.

Under the dash on the firewall is a thick rubber covered sound deadening pad that can be removed. Weighs 10 lbs or so. 
You can also trim some of the very heavy bits off the dash bar under the dash bar. Especially the area above your knees. Yields about 10 lbs iirc. 
add speed holes to the headlight assemblies and trunk lid and trim some of it as Keith illustrated. 
You could add speed holes to the inner door structure or creatively cut out portions of it. The top most section is 3 layers of metal. Each layer weighs 2-3 pounds. 
I think miataturbo has a good thread on this topic fwiw 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/19/20 7:07 a.m.
Carbon said:

Trade it in on an mr2 :-p'

After co-driving one this summer at an autocross, I did briefly look at MR-S until I came back down to earth and realized I don't have room for a third car. I did consider storing it over at my sister's farm and then picking it up when I wanted to go autocrossing (its on the way to our venues) but thought better of it.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
2/19/20 9:05 p.m.

Just bustin bawlz anyway. Your mx5 rocks! 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
buuiiVukzYDXMf0idWSn50EK7eNQghxcLPsDqRoKiILGlSZbhr0cWCKmQXbgESH8