96DXCivic Dork
7/4/10 2:38 p.m.

How do the automotive insurance companies sell totaled cars? I am assuming auctions but are the open to the public or what? Fill me in.

ddavidv SuperDork
7/4/10 3:00 p.m.

Typically IAA (Insurance Auto Auctions) or Copart. Both are auction services. Depending on state law where you live, you usually have to be some sort of salvage dealer. They are typically not open to the public.

SillyImportRacer Reader
7/4/10 5:42 p.m.

Hmmm.....must get salvage yard operator documents.

mistanfo SuperDork
7/5/10 5:15 a.m.

Nahh, just get friendly with a salvage yard operator. I know a few that will sell me everything I want off of a car for a fixed price. Helps to approach a yard that you have been doing business with for a while with cash, and a request that they find a certain type of car. I may involve just such a plan in my next Challenge build.

sachilles HalfDork
7/5/10 10:56 a.m.

link to insurance auctions

You can pay to register and bid. Not a big deal if you are trying to locate a complete car, but not worth it if you plan to register just so you can browse what is out there.

fastmiata Reader
7/5/10 11:42 a.m.

Some companies will sell individual cars through the auctions and others will require that you bid on lots(multiple cars bundled together; usually some desirable and other less desirable models). My dad was State Farm agent and in the old days, the adjusters had the list and we got first dibs on the "good" cars. I guess that some numbers cruncher decided that they could maximize their recovery if they ran the cars exclusively through the auctions.

novaderrik Reader
7/5/10 1:57 p.m.

i drove past her Copart lot in Avon, MN yesterday. there was a big sign out front that said "open to the public".

16vCorey SuperDork
7/5/10 2:48 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: i drove past her Copart lot in Avon, MN yesterday. there was a big sign out front that said "open to the public".

Copart now "sells to the public", but only a small fraction of the cars will show up on their website to the public. Most of them you have to be a licensed salvage dealer to see.

Our Preferred Partners