bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/22/20 11:28 a.m.

Just as the title states.... how? Yes, I could spend the money for the scoops etc but on the cheap? Zip ties? 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/22/20 11:29 a.m.

Do a little plastic welding with a soldering iron maybe. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/22/20 11:32 a.m.

Vacuum cleaner attachments for scoops, riveted into the bumper cover. Attach hoses to the outlets 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/22/20 11:32 a.m.

Got a couple empty washer fluid jugs?  Could start with those to get a basic shape, then trim them and cut them open.  Should reshape with a heat gun as well

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/22/20 11:34 a.m.

I'm thinking about making that outer area the inlet, but making it from the backside and not readily visible from the front. I mean the obvious is to take out the projector fog and attach there. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
1/22/20 11:38 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Build a scoop that fits, and then epoxy it into place. Attach hose, rock and roll.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/20 11:44 a.m.

you'll catch more air and have less convoluted routing if you go inboard of that fog.  remember you have to allow for full steering travel...

fusion66
fusion66 New Reader
1/22/20 12:16 p.m.

These: https://pitstopusa.com/i-5066469-allstar-performance-offset-single-brake-duct-black-5-x-9-3-4.html

plus zip ties have held up for 3 track days so far with no signs of wear on the zip ties or hole elongation. You might be able to do this inboard of the fog lamps and get adequate airflow.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/22/20 12:57 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

I have to look but I believe there is a structural support just inboard that I would have to go under. I'll have to crawl under and look again though. find a gutter spout funnel and cut it down? Maybe I should go rummage around at lowes. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/20 1:07 p.m.

A pair of bumper ducts could probably be riveted inboard of the fog lights with some careful trimming and large washers. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NACA-BRAKE-DUCT-BUMPER-MOUNT-SINGLE-OUTLET-OFFSET/123777098759?hash=item1cd1b0a407:g:q1MAAOSwRe9c5ZEf

fusion66
fusion66 New Reader
1/22/20 1:07 p.m.

Vorshlag recently introduce a brake cooling kit for the Mustang S550 based on deflectors instead of duct work plus hose. Might require a bit more "engineering" but could be easier to package?

https://vorshlag-store.com/collections/s550-mustang-brakes/products/vorshlag-s550-brake-cooling-deflector-kit

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/22/20 1:16 p.m.
bobzilla said:

I'm thinking about making that outer area the inlet, but making it from the backside and not readily visible from the front. I mean the obvious is to take out the projector fog and attach there. 

Are you going to run fans?  The air is going to be going sideways past that area, which might have enough venturi effect that you are actually pulling air the wrong way.  I read an article about brake ducts on a Neon, pulling from the fog light holes that were a bit inboard of that, and they were basically worthless.  See the raised bit for the licence plate?  You know, the spot where its impossible to mount anything?  Thats where you need to go, sadly. 

Maybe some sort of a splitter looking scoop under the bumper?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/22/20 1:19 p.m.

Looking at that picture makes me want to wrap that little lip on the corners in yellow vinyl......

Rushcanuck
Rushcanuck Reader
1/22/20 1:42 p.m.

I built my own scoops to fit in my foglight holes. I can figure out what kind of plastic but i just heated it up and built a positive and negative mold and pressed the heated plastic until it cooled, then glued and self tapping screws the halves together.  I mounted it to the original foglight bracket and more self tappers

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/20 5:56 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/22/20 6:44 p.m.

Yea, you should do a little reading (or bother sleepyhead) about high pressure zones on the front of the car. You can do some testing with plastic tubing and water to find the higher pressure zones. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/22/20 7:21 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Yea, you should do a little reading (or bother sleepyhead) about high pressure zones on the front of the car. You can do some testing with plastic tubing and water to find the higher pressure zones. 

^^^ High pressure is the key. While our mind wants to see a scoop on the front of the car we might be better off elsewhere as in pic below. My inlets at the core support are actually dashboard end vents from 80's boxy era GM pickups & suburbans.Easier to run duct tubing also because it's already behind the core support. Tape on duct just for mock up.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/The%2014%20Car%20Performance%20Therapy/005_zpspnnacql1.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/The%2014%20Car%20Performance%20Therapy/009_zpsskhvrybd.jpg.html][/URL]

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/27/20 11:18 a.m.

I have decided the foglights are gone when it warms up. the current lights provide NO benefit at night or in fog. You can turn them on and off and see zero change. So that's 4lbs per side gone and a nice 2.5" hole open.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/27/20 11:45 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/27/20 2:33 p.m.

I mustacheyou... to buy some corroplast?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fwDHGxvP3S6E51GoLH2xD200x1pL3pKaH6Bdx9YQeUQVpY5ZOOJX0GGqwJdftG2g