Nate90LX
Nate90LX New Reader
7/12/08 5:13 p.m.

Does anybody know anybody (or company) to contact for shipping a Miata body shell/frame from Atlanta to Toledo, Ohio?

I've obviously never done this before, but I found a straight and rust-free Miata shell to replace my rusting Michigan raised 96 Miata. What's the best way to get it to Ohio?

oldschoolimport
oldschoolimport New Reader
7/12/08 5:22 p.m.

when you buy a kit car body that is one piece, it is crated up, and sent major freight. I'm sure the miata could be done the same way. plan a few hundred in lumber to build the crate.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/12/08 10:30 p.m.

Hire a GRMer with a trailer near ATL who is interested in a road trip to OH.

Let me see... Do I know anyone like this???

Oh wait...Maybe me. Especially if I can find a nice project in OH.

Call me... I PMed you my phone number.

shuttlepilot
shuttlepilot New Reader
7/12/08 11:11 p.m.

Build a wooden frame with some heavy duty casters to tie down the car to?They could then winch it into around.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/13/08 6:32 a.m.

very carefully?

ncjay
ncjay New Reader
7/13/08 8:02 a.m.

My plan of attack would be to look under trucking companies in the yellow pages. I have not used R&L Carriers before but I know they haul this kind of stuff. Build a big enough pallet or crate and strap/nail/tie the shell very securely to the pallet. At some point a flatbed car hauler may need to become involved to either get the pallet on the truck or to the local trucking terminal, whichever might be easiest. Finding someone with a car trailer heading to Toledo (like SVreX) would probably be a touch easier and cheaper in the long run.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
7/13/08 10:44 a.m.

I might need to head up to the Akron area next weekend with an empty trailer, let me do some figuring and get back to you but I should be able to make the shell get to you for gas $.

Nate90LX
Nate90LX New Reader
7/13/08 5:07 p.m.

Thanks for everyone's input. I will do some investigation.

mzsigler
mzsigler
7/19/08 3:06 a.m.

It would probably be easiest to grab some stock wheels for $150-200.

triumph7
triumph7 New Reader
7/19/08 6:16 a.m.
mzsigler wrote: It would probably be easiest to grab some stock wheels for $150-200.

I'm not sure he has suspension to bolt them to!

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/19/08 7:07 a.m.

Right- it is JUST a tub.

Jack
Jack SuperDork
7/19/08 10:02 a.m.

Since it won't roll, you could drag it with a chain.

Cheap wheels would be the least expensive way.

Jack

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
7/19/08 10:20 a.m.

I do need to make that trip to Akron but it'll be the first weekend in Aug. So far the trailer is still empty going up.

jwx
jwx New Reader
7/21/08 3:26 p.m.

Whats missing from the susp? Might just be easier to make it roll...

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/21/08 8:15 p.m.

Unless you get a buddy to tow it, it will be cheaper if it rolls. Many car transporters won't take it like that. Even then, they charge extra for inop cars.

The bigger question is...isn't it better/easier to just buy a rust-free Miata? It sounds to me like you need another Miata.

If you're going to ship something in a crate, it might as well be a FM Locost kit.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hd5U7aL7uDHlzEPX1z0E2xBk0Y3jfsJ4SuZ2UJVK4NnCgRMAv6Z8hTHKYIqHsQPA