1 2
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/14 3:04 p.m.

all my years of driving and miles under my belt.. I have killed one engine.

Transmissions.. about a dozen

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
6/16/14 3:29 p.m.

A buddy of mine's Lemons/Crap-can team blew up 3 engines in the E36 sedan they run. They eventually tracked it down to a faulty ECU that caused a lean condition under specific conditions (or something like that).

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
6/16/14 3:39 p.m.
slefain wrote: My cousin killed a Slant-6. Some people are just gifted in strange ways.

I've blown up two 225's which I think is some kind or record.

EdHigginbotham
EdHigginbotham Editorial Assistant
6/16/14 3:40 p.m.

I used to race a carbureted 924. Sometimes it seemed like I went through an engine a weekend.

Oh look, here I come now.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
6/16/14 3:56 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

The point was at least they ran right inbetween rebuild/blowing up.....

Rupert
Rupert Reader
6/16/14 3:56 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Sometimes being cheap can cost a lot of money.

A lot of drivers are like the government. They never have time or money to keep anything they own up. However they can always find the money to buy/build a replacement.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/16/14 4:32 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Some people can destroy a cannonball in a sandbox with their bare hands....

Best quote Ive seen today

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
6/16/14 5:07 p.m.
Rupert wrote: A lot of drivers are like the government. They never have time or money to keep anything they own up. However they can always find the money to buy/build a replacement.

Goes along with "Why is there never enough time/money to do it right, but always enough to do it over?"

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/16/14 5:14 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Knurled: The point was at least they ran right inbetween rebuild/blowing up.....

There's a joke somewhere in there about Chevys being good engines because even when they are perfect, they still run like crap, so you never know when they're bad.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/16/14 10:23 p.m.

Bad things happen in 3's????

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/16/14 10:31 p.m.

I blow turbos rather often. There's been 3 on the MX6. Soon to be a 4th.

The strange part was that the motor refused to die, despite swallowing many chunks from at least one of them.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
6/17/14 10:58 p.m.

In my case the answer to this question has been 'owning 6 turbo cars and 1 wideband'. But now i am up to 4 widebands!

former520
former520 Reader
6/17/14 11:05 p.m.

I am surprised nobody said DSM. Guilty party here.

carbon
carbon HalfDork
6/19/14 11:23 p.m.

I was expecting a rotary thread. My friend burned down 3 motors in an fd in a year.

4g63t
4g63t HalfDork
6/21/14 11:57 a.m.

Yup 400,000 miles on my Eclipse

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
6/21/14 1:17 p.m.

Some people are just naturally skilled at breaking things. I'll never forget my seven or eight year old brother bringing a "broken" football into the house. (One of the seams was ripped wide open from end to end)

A couple tons of linemen fall on a fumble, nothing. My four foot nuthin', 70lb little brother is just kicking it around the back yard and it gets busted wide open. Natural talent, I'm telling you.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/21/14 4:18 p.m.

Luck certainly is a factor, but I'm with novaderrick on this one. I've seen it dozens of times in the AE86 world,

"Toyota stuff is junk; I just bought this used car last year and I am on my third (pick one) engine/transmission/differential! I broke one, pulled another from the junkyard that lasted four months, and when that broke I got a spare from some dude on the forums for $250."

"Did you rebuild any of them? Did any of them have less than 175,000 miles on them?"

"Rebuild? Are you kidding? That would cost at least $1000 if not more like $1500! I bought the car for $1500. Toyota stuff is just junk!"

Such is the way with affordable older but not-yet-classic sporty cars.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lmDdy8Q91EjGAZZPZiNH7Y9r3RJsR4v9N273swDpKtv7jW7WOorkSwXXU67M8aaa