Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/2/15 9:05 p.m.

How is B-Spec shaping up for this year? Expected field turn out ect. I know it has been out a few years now and I am just wondering how it is going.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/3/15 5:01 a.m.

really? No one?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/3/15 5:12 a.m.

I know a Rio won the Runoffs..... lol.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/3/15 6:41 a.m.

Two friends racing at the next World Challenge race. It seems to be working as a support series, but I don't see it gaining a lot of traction at the regional level. The people I know use it more as an advertising tool than anything else. It's the most economical way to get you/your company out in front of people wanting to watch "real" racing.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/3/15 8:42 a.m.

It's been gathering more steam this year, as you can start with a used car, instead of buying brand new. So, instead of buying a new Fit for $15K, you can buy an older one for $5K and turn it into a race car. From what I've heard the fields are growing---- hopefully this will continue through 2015.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/3/15 8:05 p.m.

that's good, I was hoping this would become a replacement for spec E30

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/15 8:32 a.m.

I know a few guys that are running it in Sonics, should be a good time. It's one of the few classes where nearly every manufacturer has a car that can come out and play.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
3/4/15 8:52 a.m.

I went to an SCCA Majors meet at Gingerman last year and there were 3 cars, a Sonic,a Fit, and a Versa.On paper it looks like a good idea, but it seems like an expensive way to go Improved Touring racing. For the cost of a B-spec you could build a SpecMiata,too.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
3/4/15 11:42 a.m.

Plus for the cheap guy you can find the IT cars used etc? I did like the prospect but it hasnt taken off like I had hoped to see. Also does it work as a feeder at all?

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
3/4/15 12:01 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: Plus for the cheap guy you can find the IT cars used etc? I did like the prospect but it hasnt taken off like I had hoped to see. Also does it work as a feeder at all?

Can't exactly go pro-racing with an IT car, can you?

And the Miata's that pro-race are not Spec Miatas- but more than that.

Unless I'm missing something, this is still the cheapest pro racing car out there, as it's part of the Pirelli World Challenge (called Touring Car B-Spec).

Just looking it up- there are 18 TCB races for 2015- 3 races per weekend, 6 weekedends throughout the year.

Edit- TCB has nominal payouts- the total purse is roughly $250/car entered. Better than nothing, and since it's on TV, there's decent potential for sponsorship exposure.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
3/4/15 12:05 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: For the cost of a B-spec you could build a SpecMiata,too.

With or without an illegal head?

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
3/4/15 12:40 p.m.
jstein77 wrote:
DeadSkunk wrote: For the cost of a B-spec you could build a SpecMiata,too.
With or without an illegal head?

They're both the same cost, just a little deeper cut makes it illegal, so pick your poison.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/4/15 1:12 p.m.

Here in SW Region, I've seen a whole 1 car come out in 3 races I worked this year. SRF,STL,FM and SM are really the 4 classes you see a bunch of cars in and the rest, at least for our region, are thin at best.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
3/4/15 2:09 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: It's been gathering more steam this year, as you can start with a used car, instead of buying brand new. So, instead of buying a new Fit for $15K, you can buy an older one for $5K and turn it into a race car. From what I've heard the fields are growing---- hopefully this will continue through 2015.

FWIW, of the Pirrelli World Challege races run last year, they averaged 12-13 cars for the 15 races. The TCB cars run with two other series at the same time.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
3/4/15 2:34 p.m.

Woo! Go Honda fit! The fit from honda...

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
3/4/15 3:29 p.m.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the cost to do a Pro series. Travel alone makes it out of range for most of us. Years ago, I looked at the IMSA RS Series and could do the car, but not the time and travel.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
3/4/15 3:54 p.m.

I guess whats a "pro" series being a bit ignorant. Because I've seen lots of guys run the NASA enduro stuff 24hrs of thunderhill etc in cars cheaper than a B spec

I suppose for TV advertising sponsorship stuff it makes sense. I like the B-spec cars I was expecting it to be more popular

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
3/4/15 4:21 p.m.

In reply to Don49: Which explains why many teams seem to already be running a car in some other Pirrelli series- already travelling, bring a small car.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
3/4/15 4:25 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: I guess whats a "pro" series being a bit ignorant. Because I've seen lots of guys run the NASA enduro stuff 24hrs of thunderhill etc in cars cheaper than a B spec I suppose for TV advertising sponsorship stuff it makes sense. I like the B-spec cars I was expecting it to be more popular

Not sure what you mean. Do winners of the NASA endurance events get a monetary prize? I thought NASA was an amateur racing group.

If you are concerned about price, Crapcan racing also is endurance racing, and runs really low cost cars. I don't get what your point is.

I'm just trying to point out that the TCB cars are probably the cheapest car to go racing in a pro series. IT cars don't have a pro series, nor do most SM.

Are there cheaper options? Of course- all the way down to the various cheap series.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
3/4/15 8:03 p.m.

I honestly don't know about monetary prizes etc. I was just agreeing Deadskunk that if you just want to go racing its easier/cheaper to buy someone elses prepped car for an existing series. That was my only point :)

TCB? is that another name for B-spec?

The idea of an entry level feeder series to sportscar racing using fwd cars you can also actually buy is great. Especially if it does work in terms of building your name as a driver/exposure for sponsors etal.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
3/5/15 12:35 p.m.

looked this up, count me in as interested.

good article on some of the options

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/b-spec-racers-honda-fit-vs-kia-rio5-mazda-2-mini-cooper-hatchback-comparison-tests

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HER2RDpyzaItV5KTKzkwnXTmT1HZRS7rgOlBUpW7edeSTmT7abww3tNncwLTxNq5