1 2 3 4 5
jere
jere HalfDork
8/1/17 8:32 p.m.

I would blame the divorce on her mental illness... (Which might have been my problem when I agreed to the marriage in the first place )

Her constant threatening of divorce weekly, did prompt me to indirectly replace all the automatic vehicles with manual vehicles... Yep the day she "walked out", she literally "walked out" and had to call her friend for a ride. She is not a car person and made sure I drove her around rather than learn to drive stick

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
8/2/17 6:49 a.m.

I have the track hobby, she has the horse hobby. So we're even & all is good.

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/2/17 6:59 a.m.
wheels777 wrote: Told my crazy lady that if she leaves me I'm going with her. Dang I love that girl. I've known her 34 years, married 27+. She's even got her own tool box! Funny story...we were flying down a highway one day. She pointed and said, "Hey, there's a 9" for sale!" 20 minutes, 3 rears and $88 later we were back on the road.

You definitely have a keeper!!!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/2/17 7:15 a.m.

My wife did a lot of feeding to our car hobby. Made me buy 2 Alfas for her (one 164ls and one Giuletta Sprint). And we were so very tempted for a couple of more.

She tolerated the crappy work she did at autocrosses and track days (registrar) by driving at both events. She is a heck of a driver (some of you know that).

The passion for cars crossed a few lines- when we went to Europe to "visit friends" - who moved 2 weeks before we got there. The real reason was to see an F1 race at Spa. This was almost a decade ago, and we still remember walking through the forest trying to find the entry and hearing the cars. Amazing. Two years later, we saw the F1 race at Monza (and then ran a half marathon on the track a week later).

While we don't do events anymore, it's not as if the passion is lost. She was the one who decided that we sponsor "McLaren" at the Cinetopia Film Festival.

In other words, if you are getting a divorce because of cars, well.... Maybe some more pre work is needed.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/2/17 10:15 a.m.

Not a divorce, but one girlfriend told me it was over unless I sold my classic Oldsmobile and bought a safe responsible adult car. I sent her packing. A few years later I used the Olds in my wedding. Irony, no?

liliannikky
liliannikky New Reader
10/29/19 6:00 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/19 6:57 p.m.

#3 is my favorite kind of underwear.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/29/19 7:12 p.m.

Why do they always have to bundle the lottery spell with the court case spell? Can't I order my spells a la carte any more?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/29/19 7:16 p.m.

What I need is a MO MONEY and MO TIME OFF SPELL. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/29/19 7:25 p.m.

Why the hell is voodoo all over the place right now? Bookface is overrun. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/19 7:26 p.m.
Furious_E said:

Why do they always have to bundle the lottery spell with the court case spell? Can't I order my spells a la carte any more?

They can streamline the production line by only offering packages like that.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
10/29/19 9:26 p.m.

I sold a new car that I still owed on and purchased a 01 Sequoia cash as a replacement. I ended a car payment and reduced debt and it was the straw on the camels back that is leading to my separation. It wasn't the S2000, it wasn't the E36 M3 parked next to the S2000, it wasn't participating in more than planned Champcar races, or new parts for the M3, nope it was something logical I did. 

Maybe it was the fact we had nothing in common but our children and certain snack foods and that she didn't support my hobbies; but, it was a smart car choice that caused her to want to end things. 

Whatever, I feel like a new man, I just need to find a garage to park my stuff. 

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/29/19 10:37 p.m.

Does motorcycle count in this discussion?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/19 10:46 p.m.

I can't, but my parents can! This painting was my Dad's wedding gift to my Mom. 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
10/29/19 11:00 p.m.

Let's turn the original question around.  How many here can blame their cars on their divorce?

I didn't get a new car after my last divorce, but I did write "Just Divorced" in white shoe polish on the back window of my car.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/29/19 11:45 p.m.

Where was the make work less time consuming so I can finish challenge car and go to challenge spell when I needed it?  Trolls are so disappointing.

And to bring this back to the topic my first wife and I split for many reasons, not just cars.  My 2nd wife hasn't met a Porsche she didn't like :).  

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
10/29/19 11:49 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

That painting is still amazing in a really bad sort of way. I could definitely see myself commissioning such a thing.

_
_ Dork
10/30/19 12:06 a.m.

I have definitely noticed that INCLUSION of said car hobby elongates the marriage. I would much rather argue with my spouse over "who gets to buy a part for their car", instead of why "I get to spend money on my car"

kaylaonfilm
kaylaonfilm New Reader
10/30/19 2:05 a.m.

As I told my now ex-fiancée when she tried to get me to lose my car habit, my 242 GT was there before she was, and it would be there after she's gone... 

The car habit didn't /help/ with relationship preservation, but it wasn't the sole reason. However, her guilt-tripping me into letting her parents borrow my former S211 E500 while they were in from Korea was, on the other hand, a much more significant factor in the rapid collapse of the relationship. She and her parents weren't as enamored of the exhaust cutouts as I was, and I wasn't inclined to tell them how to un-cutout the cutouts after I learned, while on a $work trip, that they would be needing my car for an extra three days, while complaining about the fuel mileage (M113 with 4MATIC, enough said) and the noise and the number of buttons in the car the whole time. 

That may or may not have sparked the ending of the engagement, followed by a 1800 mile move from Berkeley to KC, in order to make sure I never saw that particular Berkeleying Shiny Happy Person ever again. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/19 7:14 a.m.

My current wife is the enabler. She also likes nice or unusual cars.  We usually alternate in picking cars to acquire. I just got the cls 550 Mercedes. She has been looking a Jags lately as she really liked the STR I had.  She found one in an emerald green that I was sure was going to come home but then she saw a Raptor at the ford dealer. A dark burgundy one on the lot has caught her fancy.  

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/30/19 7:39 a.m.

I think a lot of guys get in trouble because they marry someone they don't like and don't get along with. Marriage is optional and who you marry is entirely up to you. Don't marry a jerk and don't marry someone that makes you a jerk. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/19 7:54 a.m.

We have been married almost 33 years. I got us started in the car end of things, but she has gotten into it deeper than I ever will. She's currently the SCR-SCCA Regional Exec and running for SCCA Area 12 Director. Personally I think she's crazier than I am.

I can't imagine having to deal with someone that wanted to control what I did with my time and energy to the point that they forced a decision. The choice would be fairly easy for me. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/19 8:05 a.m.

Not on cars, but on driving. My ex wife drove me nuts.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/30/19 8:19 a.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

What I need is a MO MONEY and MO TIME OFF SPELL. 

Got to be careful, it's easy to wind up with the MO MONEY, MO PROBLEMS spell instead.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
10/30/19 9:06 a.m.

Can't get divorced if you haven't been married. Wait, this sounds more like a sad confession than a win. I can say honestly say that cars ahve not been the reason my relationships have failed, though

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1BAw4SJhAfHbJ46Ep47LHKDKyCwtXjO80AFWfrAfQelud5EbX2u88PYS5q1vCsI6