keethrax
keethrax New Reader
7/23/08 10:16 a.m.

I was at the tire shop yesterday, looking into winter options for our new Mazdaspeed3, and the guy at the counter asked me if I knew how many of them there were.

I didn't know, but I figure someone here might.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/23/08 10:35 a.m.

do you need snows or "non-summer" tires? The only real sticking point would be if you were looking for snows, finding one with a speed rating that matches stock. providing stocks have a high speed rating

keethrax
keethrax New Reader
7/23/08 10:50 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: do you need snows or "non-summer" tires? The only real sticking point would be if you were looking for snows, finding one with a speed rating that matches stock. providing stocks have a high speed rating

While that tire shop part was really only to setup where the question came from, I do appreciate the response. What I'm looking for is snows + new wheels so changing between them will be easier. It also should give me a much bigger range of snow tires to choose from if I change wheel sizes while I'm at it.

Once I've gotten a few options sorted out on that front, I'll likely be back to get some GRM input on the choices. But for now I'm very much just in a "checking out what's out there" stage before winter (or even fall) gets here to northern MN.

I'll get more serious on the actual search for winter options in a month or so once I get back from some traveling.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/23/08 12:05 p.m.

find someone on mazda3forums.com or mazdas247.com thats selling their wheels from a regular 3 for a good deal on non-steelies(and possibly with tpms as well)

as to answer your first question: a lot. Mazda supposedly only brought 5,000 ms3's to NA for 07 (2500 each for US and Canada), but i think they're building as many as they can sell for 08 and 08.5. rumor was that the ms3 was done after 08 because the 3 is due for a redesign, but i don't see it happening because a) we haven't seen the new 3 and its damn near august and b) the ms3 and mazda3 are selling well enough that theres no real need yet. also i've heard that a few people have already ordered 09 mazdaspeed3's through their dealer

aircooled
aircooled Dork
7/23/08 12:07 p.m.

I was looking for the same information. The only thing I heard was that a dealer told me they only imported 5000 that year (this was about a year ago). They seem to be pretty rare.

keethrax
keethrax New Reader
7/23/08 12:22 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: find someone on mazda3forums.com or mazdas247.com thats selling their wheels from a regular 3 for a good deal on non-steelies(and possibly with tpms as well)

Yep, that's what you suggested in my thread re: the TPMS stuff and is certainly one of the ways I'm looking at going.

Thanks for the links.

as to answer your first question: a lot. Mazda supposedly only brought 5,000 ms3's to NA for 07 (2500 each for US and Canada), but i think they're building as many as they can sell for 08 and 08.5. rumor was that the ms3 was done after 08 because the 3 is due for a redesign, but i don't see it happening because a) we haven't seen the new 3 and its damn near august and b) the ms3 and mazda3 are selling well enough that theres no real need yet. also i've heard that a few people have already ordered 09 mazdaspeed3's through their dealer

I suspect you are correct. I've seen the same reports, but there's so much contradictory information out there in forums (yes, I realize that I'm now contributing to that problem to a certain extent) and I couldn't find any official #s yet.

I had to go a fair distance to find mine, of course that has a lot more to do with living so remotely. The dealer I bought mine from is a good 200+ miles away.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K5GQFmcgQds0avvb3f56E9uzT2e7erToKSNyLoh4DEGRIAqVwNlEVBnukIN43P6p