Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/16 1:57 p.m.

Hypothetically speaking, say 177k?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/21/16 2:38 p.m.

I've had a lot of BMWs up near the 300k mark, so...if it's a good deal, I wouldn't hesitate. It's a poor service history that kills them, not mileage.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
4/21/16 2:49 p.m.

Usually cooling system, rust or neglected transmissions are what kills them. Well maintained they are 250k+ mile cars

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/21/16 3:33 p.m.

I'd take a 177k mile car with good service records over an 80k car with nothing, all other things being equal. Plus, the e46s are starting to hit the U-Pull junkyards, at least around here.

Woody
4/21/16 3:37 p.m.

Tragically, there are no U-pull junkyards around here.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
4/21/16 3:55 p.m.

I'd do it. Ultimately depending upon price but a lot of the parts for these are reasonable and a lot of knowledgeable people.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/21/16 5:47 p.m.

I wouldn't hesitate if it sounds well kept. My e36 had plenty of life left when it was tragically smashed in a rear end colision at ~208k. I was planning a suspension refresh and hoping to make it to 250k+. I'd anticipate new shocks, struts, and bushings all around and possible a cooling system refresh depending on when that was last done.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
4/21/16 6:27 p.m.

Mine has 150k and still going strong. No signs of distress. I actually can't believe I haven't needed wheel bearings or 02 sensors yet.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
4/21/16 6:30 p.m.

Somebody wants to trade for your Z3?

Woody
4/21/16 8:04 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non wrote: Somebody wants to trade for your Z3?

No.

I haven't actively advertised the Z3 anywhere but here, but I will pretty soon. I just had my knee fixed and didn't really have the patience to deal with Craigslist shoppers.

If the right wagon comes along, I can manage having an extra car around here for a few weeks.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
4/21/16 8:46 p.m.

Oddly - I just saw what looked like a nice clean silver one parked with a for sale sign on it while I was out riding today.

It's on RTE 307 near Lake Winola, PA. I can eyeball it and get the contact info if you like. I believe the price was 4.8k on the sign but I was moving quickly and only glanced long enough to notice it because I have one just like it in my driveway.

Woody
4/21/16 9:05 p.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

I like silver ones...

Woody
4/21/16 9:11 p.m.
Woody wrote: In reply to Huckleberry: I like silver ones...

...and only 2:45 away. That's very manageable.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
4/21/16 9:31 p.m.

In reply to Woody: OK - I will be out that way again over the weekend and I'll snap a few pics if it's still sitting there.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy Reader
4/22/16 12:30 a.m.

I'd say drive it and give it a good look over to find out. Maintenance records are nice but sometimes there just too old to be relevant or are receipts to random part purchases that didn't even go along with the car. I bought my E36 328i with 201k miles and didn't get any records. Still was a good car though.

Woody
4/22/16 5:38 a.m.
Huckleberry wrote: In reply to Woody: OK - I will be out that way again over the weekend and I'll snap a few pics if it's still sitting there.

Thanks, I would appreciate that. What part of PA CL would that area fall under? I checked Scranton Wilkes Barre but it's not listed there.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar PowerDork
4/22/16 7:56 a.m.

bmw's don't die of miles.

they die of neglect.

Woody
4/22/16 8:00 p.m.

I just got back from checking this car out. Really nice guy who knows his stuff, but it's just not the right car for me.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5548996953.html

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
4/22/16 8:04 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Scranton, PA and surrounding area

I've got a contractor coming in the AM but I'll get out there in the afternoon sometime.

Woody
4/22/16 8:07 p.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

You've got mail.

Woody
4/24/16 8:32 p.m.
Huckleberry wrote: In reply to Woody: OK - I will be out that way again over the weekend and I'll snap a few pics if it's still sitting there.

Thanks for checking it out for me.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y5D1UBCJZXryhhGs4Tbmw1V66mDVIYz7H2lWzEfc9bRNtTg2YZaviz2xNFpszH0Z