1 2
noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
11/1/08 11:38 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: BTW, the 'temp gauge pegged' thing is actually a fairly good sign. Here's why: the temp sender 'bulb' has to be immersed in coolant for it to register temperature. If the coolant does not touch the bulb, the gauge will drop back to the bottom of the range.

I've proven that wrong in a couple 12As as well as a EA82 Subaru that must have suffered from Stockholm Syndrome because it actually seemed to like putting up with my crap.

The problem is that the "bulb" will just as easily report temperature trasferred to it from the very metal that the sensor is threaded into.

If the engine is "normal" temperature and there's cool air in the system, like a poorly bled cooling system burping air up to the sensor area, then yes the gauge will drop. If the engine is actually HOT, then it'll still show temperature.

When I gave my Subaru its last drive, there wasn't a drop of water in it yet the temp gauge had found the hard stop about 1/4" past the H mark. Ran great as long as you didn't let it cool off. Pistons must have self clearanced, or something :)

PS - Mine is running fine. I think the thermostat must be sticky or something.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w1lAehNfx9hMdmhvD7ApvvgTwnLpLesYfctUKDFApDY1PvUbvFWqJjgTqBL6NL4m