1 2
dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/11/18 11:31 p.m.

A pair of 700r4's when I was in high school and in love with G body's. My shop teacher specialized in gm automatics so it was cheap.

A4ld that didn't have overdrive after the rebuild so it was refunded and replaced with a c4. 

A reman 4l60e in an s10

Otherwise I'm normally a JY transmission replacement guy. I've strangely had great luck with aods and c4s 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
9/12/18 7:45 a.m.

Zero! But I'm unsure if I should be proud of that or not. I think it's more of an indication that I'm not trying hard enough.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/12/18 10:09 a.m.
ultraclyde said:
grover said:
Professor_Brap said:

I do all of mine myself, Im up to 10 or so.

4 47REs from 4 different trucks

3 T850s

1 TR6060

2 NV5500

So, where did you learn how to do this mystical art? 

And are you available to hire?

The internet/books/listen to old guys at the shop. 

I am available to hire. There is not much to them if you take your time and go by the book. 

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
9/12/18 10:48 a.m.

I don't rebuild transmissions. I pay through the nose to have someone else do that. One th350 in a van, and a centerdiff redo in my wife's Xtype. The most I do myself is swap them out. I used to drive Mazda 323 GTX's. So, naturally, as night follows day, I have R&R'd about 6 of those. Because Mazda gave us hell-for-stout engines, and bolted them to glass gearboxes. And not gorilla glass either . No, this is special glass. The kind that breaks if you sing at it wrong.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/12/18 11:21 a.m.

One T56 and two TH400s.

The T56 needed 2nd and 5th syncros.  One of the TH400s had a whining pump and the other one just was really high miles and it sometimes wouldn't drop into reverse.

I also usually buy old cheap junk, but I don't keep it long enough to lose a transmission.  I did have a THM200 in an El Camino that died.  I took the pan off and saw all the destruction and just stuffed a junkyard TH350 in its place.  I wasn't going to spend money on a 200 trans.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
9/12/18 12:10 p.m.

i have a close friend that had a big cam'd 5.3 in a 2000 silverado that had the 4l60 go out, he had it rebuilt by a shop that put a warranty on it, he proceeded to go through 12 more transmissions that were covered by that warranty until the shop finally said "no more".

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/12/18 12:44 p.m.

12? At some point, much earlier I would've expected the shop to ask what is the common denominator...

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
9/12/18 1:09 p.m.
RossD said:

Zero! But I'm unsure if I should be proud of that or not. I think it's more of an indication that I'm not trying hard enough.

That or you have the mechanical sympathy required not to abuse them. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lP3Y3PAiVG2hJMxLQV1CihMwMSyz4rwFz2VzQYjQof4PPxmsT3zvioTNiv9pspDV