1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/3/14 10:10 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: In reply to TRoglodyte: Who's spelling and punctuation is bad?

My guess would be Karl's, but I hardly notice that anymore. I don't know if that's a good thing but I don't really care. I want some tacos.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/4/14 7:37 a.m.

Positive news. Good luck.

tHis is for, you, TRoglodyte .

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
4/4/14 7:42 a.m.

I'm glad to hear there's encouraging news. A good guy doesn't deserve this kind of crap.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/14 7:57 a.m.

look at it this way.. Maaco did the shop you dropped the S2000 at a favour by screwing up your son's car. Just think if they had screwed up something expensive or more rare?

1966stang
1966stang Reader
4/4/14 8:10 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: look at it this way.. Maaco did the shop you dropped the S2000 at a favour by screwing up your son's car. Just think if they had screwed up something expensive or more rare?

Pretty much this. But the restoration shop I sue here in Columbus would not dream of outsourcing anything to MAACO.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
4/4/14 8:11 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: look at it this way.. You/your son did the shop you dropped the S2000 at a favour when Maaco screwed up your son's car. Just think if they had screwed up something expensive or more rare?

Fixed that for you. But yeah, an S2000, while special, is far from irriplacable. Think if it would have been that 356?

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
4/4/14 8:13 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Excellent. You rarely ever hear stories that end well on the Internets.

It didn't end yet. I'll be happy when all is paid for and the title to the new one is in his hand.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
4/4/14 8:17 a.m.

I'm really glad that this looks like it will have a happy ending.

Changing the subject to Maaco. YEs they have a reputation for doing E36 M3ty low $ jobs, and this particular one has screwed things up mightily. But at the end of the day they are a paint shop with skilled people and equipment. While what they churn out for $399 is crap, is there any reason they would not be capable of doing a top class job with top class materials if that was what was requested and paid for. Especially if they have a long term relationship with a a restoration shop that for whatever reason can't or doesn't want to spray themselves.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/4/14 8:17 a.m.
mtn wrote:
mad_machine wrote: look at it this way.. You/your son did the shop you dropped the S2000 at a favour when Maaco screwed up your son's car. Just think if they had screwed up something expensive or more rare?
Fixed that for you. But yeah, an S2000, while special, is far from irriplacable. Think if it would have been that 356?

The kids at Maaco wouldn't take the 356 for a joyride. The pedals hinge the wrong way, the tach bounces and the transmission doesn't shift right.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
4/4/14 8:22 a.m.

Hope everything works out for you and your son, I was drooling over a red s2000 with a hardtop yesterday. Such a nice car.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/4/14 8:36 a.m.

step 1) inform them that their insurance should cover the damages to the car and replacement of all damaged panels and paint using OEM parts (to be done by another shop of your choosing) step 2) If car is still at and inside said shop firebomb it at night so that their insurance covers full value of car

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
4/4/14 9:34 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I'm really glad that this looks like it will have a happy ending. Changing the subject to Maaco. YEs they have a reputation for doing E36 M3ty low $ jobs, and this particular one has screwed things up mightily. But at the end of the day they are a paint shop with skilled people and equipment. While what they churn out for $399 is crap, is there any reason they would not be capable of doing a top class job with top class materials if that was what was requested and paid for. Especially if they have a long term relationship with a a restoration shop that for whatever reason can't or doesn't want to spray themselves.

Exactly. A friend of mine had a Maaco paint his 911, and it looks great. Just because they do churn out cheap crap doesn't mean that they can only churn out cheap crap.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
4/4/14 9:45 a.m.
16vCorey wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I'm really glad that this looks like it will have a happy ending. Changing the subject to Maaco. YEs they have a reputation for doing E36 M3ty low $ jobs, and this particular one has screwed things up mightily. But at the end of the day they are a paint shop with skilled people and equipment. While what they churn out for $399 is crap, is there any reason they would not be capable of doing a top class job with top class materials if that was what was requested and paid for. Especially if they have a long term relationship with a a restoration shop that for whatever reason can't or doesn't want to spray themselves.
Exactly. A friend of mine had a Maaco paint his 911, and it looks great. Just because they do churn out cheap crap doesn't mean that they can only churn out cheap crap.

More on this point, it really sounds like a lower rung employee there took the car out for a joyride, hit something, and quickly sprayed the whole thing in an attempted cover up.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/4/14 10:16 a.m.

In reply to Datsun1500:

I can completely understand that. I hope he is able to find a suitable replacement soon.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
4/4/14 10:16 a.m.
mtn wrote:
16vCorey wrote:
More on this point, it really sounds like a lower rung employee there took the car out for a joyride, hit something, and quickly sprayed the whole thing in an attempted cover up.

Agreed.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
4/4/14 10:20 a.m.

And just curious, but why to so many have the impression that a repaint automatically kills it's value? I know a few painters that when they're done with it you'd never know it wasn't original.

And if that exact car is so hard to find, why not have a competent painter strip it and repaint it?

SCARR
SCARR HalfDork
4/4/14 10:45 a.m.

In reply to 16vCorey:

that was something I was thinking of. I know of 2 places that the prices are good and when they are done, it usually looks BETTER than factory. better gaps (smaller sometimes, and always even) smoother paint (I have never seen ANY orange peel.. just pure glass) etc. they just plain care.

I always WISH my car might get hit JUST so I can take it them and say, "make her look better than new, please." on someone else's dime. (because I am too cheap to pay for it myself, but don't misconstrue, I am not looking for insurance fraud.. just hoping for light impact that means they get to massage my panels with their magic.)

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
4/4/14 10:45 a.m.

In reply to 16vCorey:

Bondo.

This one is interesting and pleasantly surprising that the shop owner is stepping up.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
4/4/14 11:05 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

Factory replacement panel

With a properly done paint job, it won't be original but might be better. He's removing the emblems anyway, so super originality is obviously not an issue.

I would think going with a #8 (or 12) here and a nice paint job might be a lot of work and expensive, but should return the car to "whole" and you don't have to worry about finding an approximation:

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/4/14 11:14 a.m.

Bad paint is all about bad prep. Great paint is all about great prep. And lots of labour. His car could be returned to a better than before state, if someone is willing to pay the bills.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
4/4/14 11:28 a.m.
ZOO wrote: Bad paint is all about bad prep. Great paint is all about great prep. And lots of labour. His car could be returned to a better than before state, if someone is willing to pay the bills.

You can have excellent prep, then have some jackass with a cheap spray gun spraying cheap materials and come out with garbage paint. Been there.... Now you want to cut and buff it for hours on hours, hope you don't burn through, etc and you might be able to make it look decent, but in my experience buy good equipment, spray with quality materials and life gets much easier when doing this type of thing.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
4/4/14 11:31 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: In reply to 16vCorey: Bondo. This one is interesting and pleasantly surprising that the shop owner is stepping up.

What do you suggest, lead? The car already had filler in it from the emblems being shaved. There are plenty of excellent fillers out there these days, so use the good stuff and there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/4/14 11:36 a.m.
Cotton wrote:
ZOO wrote: Bad paint is all about bad prep. Great paint is all about great prep. And lots of labour. His car could be returned to a better than before state, if someone is willing to pay the bills.
You can have excellent prep, then have some jackass with a cheap spray gun spraying cheap materials and come out with garbage paint. Been there.... Now you want to cut and buff it for hours on hours, hope you don't burn through, etc and you might be able to make it look decent, but in my experience buy good equipment, spray with quality materials and life gets much easier when doing this type of thing.

I think that's what I am getting at -- the situation on this particular S2000 may not be entirely lost if someone is willing to step up and do it right.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
4/4/14 11:55 a.m.

I was just answering the question "And if that exact car is so hard to find, why not have a competent painter strip it and repaint it?" The answer is "bondo" because you would need to replace a fender, etc.

Don't particularly have a dog in this fight. Just find it interesting the shop owner is stepping up like this.

Do we have the truth as to what actually happened?

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
4/4/14 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

Sorry man! I totally misunderstood your post.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
70pHaZI2m8aOwolm1jszjNBPlAauh0wdHgxgFUQmrFOTCv5JmQliYcDMzLoU3eeP